Well, Guess My Jeep is a Permanent Trailer Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I only have another month to drive it on the road. And it's a shame since I renewed the registration last night. There's no chance it can pass NYS inspection now.

I had a P0158 since April. Thanks to Chrysler's asinine design on these, the B2S2 oxygen sensor touches the bellhousing. The wires eventually shorted out as a result of me having to remove/reinstall the flexplate cover.

Trying to do the right thing, getting it ready for inspection, I decided to buy the OE sensor for it.

Got the sensor out and back in with no problems - was a bit of fun since there is zero room to get it in/out.

I had a quick debate in my head. Do I use the 16 year old plastic clip to hold the connector to the bracket, or do I use the brand new one. More work to use the new one- but I figured it would be the right choice.

Started the Jeep up, within 10 miles every system except EVAP was complete. No CEL. Of course, once I drove about 50 miles and got the tank down below 85%, shut it off and started it and EVAP came online. Perfect!

It was the wrong choice. Driving it yesterday it started running very poorly. Stalled a few times. But no CEL. Also seemed to have no power. And the floor was VERY hot.

Today I plugged in the scanner and ... I have a slew of oxygen sensor codes. I thought it had something do do with the new sensor. So I look underneath.

Turns out the clip failed. The sensor wiring got stuck in the driveshaft and ripped the harness apart that runs over the transmission. So that's why I have no oxygen sensors!

also ruined the driveshaft because it broke the collar and seal that isn't replaceable.

This sucks. I can't blame NTK for their $.5 clip failing. I checked that it was on there.

Stuff happens. Unfortunately I'm not equipped to start replaing harnesses and dropping the transmission to do so. Had this happened a week earlier, I wouldn't have renewed the registration on it and just let it sit in my parents' yard until I got the time to drop the transmission and replace / patch the harness.

40.jpg

Unfortunately [censored] happens. Fix it when you have the time.

Luckily here in Florida no state inspections or emission testing.
I'm sure it helps to get older vehicles needing work off the road.

The Cherokees seem to finish life as jacked up,big tired,off road only mudmobiles around here...

Yeah, fix it when you can. The registration fee , while ironic, won't break the bank.

If the body's OK then you have X days to sell it if that's what you want to do.

It pays to keep in touch with nearby Jeep clubs. Start hustling (as in hustling a sale). Kira

You mean you don't know a dude with alcohol-soluble ethics? Heck, I saw someone take a Torino in for inspection...no emission equipment, long-tube headers with duals (no catalysts), the backup lights didn't work, and neither did the horn. The car entered the bay with a fifth of Jack Daniels on the passenger seat. It left the bay with a valid inspection...and no JD.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
In NYS you can't find someone to get you a sticker?
Not to sound to shady or anything but...

Used to be possible. NYS jacked the fines up sky-high for fraudulently giving out inspection stickers, and results from the OBDII emissions test are automatically reported to the DMV. We get a standardized form listing outcomes of the safety and emissions inspections.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
In NYS you can't find someone to get you a sticker?
Not to sound to shady or anything but...

Used to be possible. NYS jacked the fines up sky-high for fraudulently giving out inspection stickers, and results from the OBDII emissions test are automatically reported to the DMV. We get a standardized form listing outcomes of the safety and emissions inspections.

Not possible unfortunately. It's a 2000.

I have a few Jeep friends with 2000s as parts vehicles so I can get the harness at some point.

I'll probably buy a cheap cherokee or something as a winter rat.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
You mean you don't know a dude with alcohol-soluble ethics? Heck, I saw someone take a Torino in for inspection...no emission equipment, long-tube headers with duals (no catalysts), the backup lights didn't work, and neither did the horn. The car entered the bay with a fifth of Jack Daniels on the passenger seat. It left the bay with a valid inspection...and no JD.

Are you sure this wasn't you? Haha!

But seriously, Torinos never had emission equipment...

That 88 is EXACTLY what I am looking for! Obviously not for a trail toy. I am looking for a "new" stock Cherokee as a summer fun toy / spare vehicle.

I can get my money back.

I have some wiring diagrams for it. Going to try to tear into it tonight.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
He should buy it. The others look ragged out. That one is bone stock and clean.

And it's a Renix cherokee! I have been trying to find one of those!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Come fly out to the desert and pick up a 100% rust free Jeep. We have tons of them, it'll last you 20+ years until it'll rust out. Just checked and its $150 for a flight on Southwest Airlines and $300 for gas to drive it back to New York.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5729531354.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/5718709979.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5704381518.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5653521489.html

I don't understand.

I clicked on one, then went up a level, and did a search for vehicles $2k and less. Not a single bit of rust.

I don't understand...
21.gif

[Actually a quick look this morning on our CL up here revealed a few less jalopies than usual.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back