What engine experiment to run on this generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna run an engine durability experiment on this two-stroke generator as its worthless and I don't want anyone ruining their TV.... with it.
The voltage is messed up and the power waveform is garbage.

What should I do? A 50:1 mix on olive oil? Any ideas?

Actually the voltage could be brought down by adjusting the engine speed governor. Then double check it with a load like a space heater. Guessing the frequency is also higher than 60hz. Thats probably all that's wrong with it. If you really don't want it set the governor and donate it to someone that needs it.

Last edited:
I have one of these sold by Harbor Freight. It is not good for electronics but good for a fan, small sump pump, heater or skilsaw. I run mine on Amsoil Sabre two stroke mixed 50/1 instead of the 100/1 recommended by Amsoil. How about using Amsoil mixed 200/1 or 150/1? If the engine lives that will prove the Amsoil is good stuff.

I bought mine for 89 dollars and it starts better and is less fussy than my 500 dollar Powerhouse.

Run 0W20. That ruins engines.
grin.gif

Modern TVs have switching power supplies and most will operate happily between 100 and 250 volts and 47 to 63 Hz. Or do you just want to find a reason to ruin this generator?

Put a load on it. If that does not help, then play with the governor and slow it down to recheck. These are cheap and are for light or equipment that does not care.

That's probably close to specs unloaded. NA is 120V +/- 10%, so 120 * .1 = 132. Once you get a load on it it most likely will go down.

Also most modern electronics are 120-240v and convert to DC so a "messed up waveform" is no big deal.

I'd run it in an emergency.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I have one of these sold by Harbor Freight. It is not good for electronics but good for a fan, small sump pump, heater or skilsaw. I run mine on Amsoil Sabre two stroke mixed 50/1 instead of the 100/1 recommended by Amsoil. How about using Amsoil mixed 200/1 or 150/1? If the engine lives that will prove the Amsoil is good stuff.

I bought mine for 89 dollars and it starts better and is less fussy than my 500 dollar Powerhouse.
if the Amsoil is that great in which I'm not saying it isn't why are you not running it at Amsoil recommend 80:1 or 100:1 rate seems odd to me.

I think I paid $80 for mine on sale at Meijer. It won't kick my sump pump on. A few years ago before I knew better, I ruined the logic board in my 90+ furnace most likely because of this generator. $700 repair.
I also have a Craftsman 4200 watt generator which I'm selling to a co-worker. I'm buying two inverter generators. I had my furnace setup so I can run an extension cord to it if the power goes out.
I'll just throw it on the curb on trash day with a note. It's just too screwy.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I would measure the output with a lite load applied. It might be ok with some load applied.

This.

I ran Amsoil in a cheapo Kmart weedwhacker for 16 years. It was still running great when I got a better model and gave the cheapo away. In 16 years of use I changed the plug maybe once. Given that Amsoil seems to have zero plug fouling, I thought a richer oil mix would make the bearings last longer. Thats my story and am sticking to it.

You get a voltage meter/ regulator, just like the ones Harbor Freight sells and plug it in and adjust the governor. I had to do this on a Briggs Stratton. It's really easy. I think I set it at 121 volts. I can't really remember, but I do remember, How easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back