Is Schaeffer's 227 chain Lube specialer than Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering whether any of you have used the Schaeffer chain lube on your m/c chain, and what you think of it. I haven't used chain lube in some time because I use an auto-oiler. However, I picked up a new-to-me project bike, so I thought I'd ask.

Around here (I can get it locally) the Schaeffer is A LOT more expensive than either the moly or 'white graphite' Honda chain lubes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Depends ...Does the project bike have an O-Ring chain? If it does the moly will never get inside the link bushings and so no real benefit. O-ring chains need the O-rings to stay slippery and not dry and wear out. This will keep the prelube SEALED inside each link doing its job.

NON O-ring chains usually have a penetrant that carries the lubricant inside the link bushings and a paraffin to seal and shed dirt that tries to get in. That lube looks OK to me for your application but there are many that do the same thing.

IMO whichever lube you use the single worst thing you can ever do to a chain is over tighten it. with no slack a chains pins will squeeze thru the lube and wear/gall the pins/bushings quickly. You will see this as a "Stretched" chain that doesn't sit in the sprocket correctly any more. A certain kind of hand wringing person usually has this issue. Make sure there is some SLACK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back