Finding air flow direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a Toyota Sienna when I changed it I kept feeling a round and got buzzed by the fan on my fingers.

On this Cobalt I changed out today I found not helpful markings. Just on the filter that was Delphi saying airflow direction, but no help on the dash or included with the filter. I felt good helping my respirstory system but then bad as I broked the chain cord so I could lower the glove box to get a good view and be able to insert the filter smoothly and without tearing it in the process.

I was hoping to have installed it like a professional. I did it for the first time last year with a Purolator which included instructions. I forgot I still had them......

Anyway.

I tried to feel ehich way the air was flowing by holding my hand in the stream, but it can be tricky.. Much the way an exhaust fan can move more air, but you dont feel the blast on your skin, but the room probably stays cooler.

I probably border-line failed this elementary auto maintenance procedure. HVAC sounds 'neater' thou......so +5 points for that!

This post makes no sense, what are you trying to find out here?
Grammer and sentence structure go a long way.....

Sorry. It isn't so easy to convey messages via iPads.

The slot where a cabin filter resides must have a flow in side and a flow out side.

Even if I burnt one it probably couldn't help as it isn't like a door on either side of fan in a building.

Do you not remember which side was dirty from your old filter? That will indicate.

It is most likely the fan side is the clean side. They wouldn't want a component to be pushing dirty air around but rather it be in clean air.

If the filter is horizontal, it is most likely the airflow is down, drawing fresh air through the cowl rather then from the ground, and the dirt stays on the filter to be removed.

If it is really bugging you you should look up the instructions for your specific vehicle or ask in your specific vehicle's forum.

Thanks Jetronic.

Good, sensible, usable advice right there!

The best thought I had was to examine the marks on the one removed. But unless it was factory and installed correctly....... Your way, however, may sharpen my skills. I usually just remove stuff in a hurry. Thanks to this advice, maybe I will begin to take notes and study the way something is in detail before disassembly.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

It is most likely the fan side is the clean side. They wouldn't want a component to be pushing dirty air around but rather it be in clean air.

No, the fan side would be the dirty side. It is pulling in outside air and trapping the dirt on that side. The cleaner side would face the AC evaporator and and heater core.

Either is possible. Sometimes the cabin filter sits in front of the fan (Hyundai uses this setup) so the cabin filter also works while using recirculated air. On my car the filter sits deirectly in front of the evap core though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back