added coolant filter to 1996 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter, I bought a 1996 Ford F150 with a 302 engine. The previous owner had neglected the coolant, it was rusty and the heater core was clogged. I immediately did a flush and fill and back flushed the heater core. That got me some heat last winter and bought me some time.
Last month, I installed the Prestone back flush tee and Prestone flush. After repeated flushing, I ran distilled water through the engine a couple of times and felt as if I had done a good job. Refilled with Zerex G-05 (50/50). I used the Zerex concentrate and distilled water for the fill.
About two weeks ago, I noticed the coolant still had what appeared to be very fine rust particles. So, today (8/22/2016) I installed a "Dorman HELP! 55242 Fuel Line Filter" in a coolant bypass line. The truck has 128900 miles on it today. After idling until the thermostat opened, I noticed the filter turning dark. I will post back the results of running this filter in the coming months. I don't drive this truck much, so reports will be sporadic.

Dorman 55242 on Amazon

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Hope it doesn't clog

Not much doubt it will clog, but this is a hose that originally went to the throttle body warmer and is no longer in use. Also, the filter can be disassembled and cleaned. I'm more worried that it may not withstand constant heat. But it is glass, not plastic.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would have bought a coolant filter.

That would have required more plumbing and bracket fabrication. My goal is a slow cleanup, eventually I plan on removing the filter.

Give it a go, I say.

You said, "...a hose that originally went to the throttle body warmer and is no longer in use." Why did your truck have one?

Could you explain the routing of the hose. I can't get my head around it as they say. Why doesn't the throttle body use it anymore? Kira

Kira, the truck has a coolant passage to keep the throttle plate from icing in the winter. The passage in the intake began to leak at some point in the past and the owner just bypassed it. Some people believe the heated intake air leads to some loss of power and fuel economy, so it's pretty common to bypass this even if it doesn't leak. I have not had a problem with icing.
The heating of the throttle passage is fairly common from what I've read.

my old 94 f150 with the 300 six had the same heated throttle body. I just joined the two hoses together eliminating the coolant flow to it. I drove it in -50 weather with it like that and had no issues so I think you will be ok. my versa has the same heated throttle body but I leave the versa 100% stock so I can't comment on it. The coolant filter is a good idea. I used one like yours but metal canister on my f350 to get anything I missed in the flush. It picked up a surprising amount of stuff. Keep us updated with pics
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would have bought a coolant filter.

Me too, even if it involved more work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back