Windows 7 Update on Fresh Reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

Hi,
Was giving a hand to a friend and installed W7 Pro on an old T-410 Thinkpad. No go on the Windows Update whether it's the standard WU or this new Convenience Rollback blob via a newer standalone WU. Read a few KBs, ran a few utilities and what not, looks like there is a bottleneck somewhere. OTOH, folks encourage everybody that it shall pass its course and eventually I will be alright, like in a week's time. Anything simple right under my nose that I don't see?

TIA

Close out of everything, do a hard shut down, get a drink.
Come back and start back up.
It's going to probably take forever to fully boot and load.

Then check WU again.
It's windows.
When in doubt restart... again.

When WU starts, just leave it.
Make sure all power settings are set to "Never" so that you can watch it.
It will take hours to download and install everything.

Good luck.

I had to do the same thing yesterday- great info!
A fiasco though- took hours and hours
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Close out of everything, do a hard shut down, get a drink.
Come back and start back up.
It's going to probably take forever to fully boot and load.

Then check WU again.
It's windows.
When in doubt restart... again.

When WU starts, just leave it.
Make sure all power settings are set to "Never" so that you can watch it.
It will take hours to download and install everything.

Good luck.

I did this yesterday. New hard drive but did not use my original disk. I down loaded a Windows 7 ISO. It had the latest updates. Made a bootable USB drive. Pretty smooth.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I did this yesterday. New hard drive but did not use my original disk. I down loaded a Windows 7 ISO. It had the latest updates. Made a bootable USB drive. Pretty smooth.

Where do you find Windows 7 ISO?

Thank you, Dave. Crashing it helped. Apparently, wipes and resets something buggy.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Where do you find Windows 7 ISO?

It's out there. You down load the file and use Microsoft's ISO maker straight to USB drive. No more wasting an afternoon.

Last edited:
Yes, you can search for slipstreaming updates or injecting updates

I had the same problem.

You can check with process explorer that it's actually stuck and not doing anything so leaving it won't do anything.

Installing kb3172605 fixed it for me.

I followed this recent post from reddit to quickly deploy a fresh Win7 install. Big thanks to /u/good1dave since it works after doing several fresh installs.
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4tx4s9/windows_7_slowstuck_checking_for_updates_fix_as/

Quote:
1. Install KB3020369 & Restart
2. Install KB3125574 & Restart
3. Install KB3138612 & Restart
4. Install KB3145739 & Restart
5. Install KB3172605 & Restart

I followed steps 1 to 5 (step 5 KB superceded by KB3172605 in reddit post, corrected in above quote) and used Windows Update from there. Took several minutes to find updates vs hours or days.

Last edited:
Easiest way is just let it go overnight. I had a recent reinstall of w7.. and I tried all the recommended installs to "make windows update work"

Still did nothing. Let it sit updating and after 18hours it started downloading updates.

If you dont need it asap.. just do that.

Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing. The hard crash/switch-off advice by SuperDave was the best in my case with the sequence by Kibitoshin-san being the very close second.
Overnighting didn't work for me for the first night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back