Pennzoil Ultra Plantinum 0W-40 or Amsoil SS 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks - First post here but long time lurker and learning as much as I can.

I have a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack (PP) with custom flexfuel dyno tune and cold air intake (CAI). I just switched to running E85 100% of the time since this fuel is so readily available where I live. I have been running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum since 1000 miles and my first oil change. I am at 14,500 miles now after owning my car for 21 months.

My question is this. Should I continue to run the Pennzoil or switch over to the Amsoil SS? I have not had a blackstone report done on my car but will do it on my next change coming up in the next couple of months since I have been running E85.

It seems, based on my reading, that these 2 oils are really, really close in what they deliver.

Any feedback, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I've never seen any real evidence that Amsoil produce better oils than the other major brand oil companies, so I don't think the extra cost of using their products is justified.

I would use Pennzoil 0w40, as it clearly states on the bottle that it is made for "High Performance Engines", and I have personally used it for a while now in few cars and so far no complaints, just praises! Amsoil is just not worth it in my opinion, as it does not give a huge winning curve over Pennzoil. In fact there was a study done by Amsoil, and Pennzoil Ultra was beating it in some categories, and stayed right on it's tail in other categories. Just remember to change the oil more often with E85, than with E10 or non-ethanol fuels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I've never seen any real evidence that Amsoil produce better oils than the other major brand oil companies, so I don't think the extra cost of using their products is justified.

It's always anecdotal. Pretty much the same with most products from the boutique oil companies.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For under $30 for a 5 quart jug from Walmart online, I'd use the PU.

It's a shame OP didn't stock up during the Autozone clearance last year. I was surprised to find six more quarts of circa-2013 PU 0W40 on clearance for $2 each at an Autozone in the boonies recently, which ended up being free (except sales tax) after the SOPUS rebate.

You can't go wrong with the PU, though I trend towards switching out oil brands every OCI. I'd probably go with the Castrol or Mobil alternative rather than spending more on Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: mooferz

It's a shame OP didn't stock up during the Autozone clearance last year.

That would have been great.

I only use Shell gasoline, Sony electronics, Costco toilet paper and paper towels, Michelin tires, speed Queen washer and dryer, Blackberry phones, HP printers, grandpa's pine tar soaps, Amsoil, etc. I don't really care (please understand) what they cost. I've consulted with myself and determined these are the best choices for me. Sometimes, it's not about price. The reality is I could probably use Walmart SuperTech and not tell a lick of difference. Heck, it may perform better and I could save $100's of dollars and maybe $1000's of dollars but I just can't do it. Maybe there is something wrong with me but I sure ain't worried about my fleet of engines and transmissions.
19.gif

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Looks like I will be staying put with the PU.

That is a crazy deal on that oil at $2 a quart.

I will be very curious to see what my first blackstone report shows.

Originally Posted By: ToddA
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Looks like I will be staying put with the PU.

That is a crazy deal on that oil at $2 a quart.

I will be very curious to see what my first blackstone report shows.

Yeah, I got a bunch of it last year too. Just wait til December rolls around, they've been clearing out unpopular oils for the last 2 years. Two years ago they had some oils for $1, last year it was more like $2, but still a good deal.

My problem with Amsoil is availability. If you're on a trip and need to add oil, where do you find it? At least you can find Pennzoil just about anywhere. The pyramid selling scheme with Amsoil bothers me too, it's not the 70's anymore!

I'd like to see some tests conducted by a non-Amsoil lab or sponsored lab so we get a complete, unbiased study on the oil compared to others to see how good it really is. I'm sure it's good oil, but I no longer see the benefit of it when I can go down to O'Reilly's and buy something that does the job just as good if not better. Oils are so good today, I don't think there's much that sets Amsoil apart from the others anymore.

Pennzoil 0W-40 has never been offered in 5 quart jugs, just single quarts.

Originally Posted By: Gebo

I only use Shell gasoline, Sony electronics, Costco toilet paper and paper towels, Michelin tires, speed Queen washer and dryer, Blackberry phones, HP printers, grandpa's pine tar soaps, Amsoil, etc. I don't really care (please understand) what they cost. I've consulted with myself and determined these are the best choices for me. Sometimes, it's not about price. The reality is I could probably use Walmart SuperTech and not tell a lick of difference. Heck, it may perform better and I could save $100's of dollars and maybe $1000's of dollars but I just can't do it. Maybe there is something wrong with me but I sure ain't worried about my fleet of engines and transmissions.
19.gif

i

Blackberry is still around?

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Originally Posted By: Gebo

19.gif

i

Is Blackberry still around? Yes, they are. Google a little bit and check out all the info. I left my iPhone and got a Blackberry Passport and Blackberry Classic. 2 of the best phones I've ever had. The Passport is my favorite! They also have the Priv and the just released DTEK 50. Also, they have one more phone to be released by next Feb. Look at their software market. New CEO is really rocking...

Neither.

Both are hard to find, PU 0w-40 is still not available in many places.

I would have said PU if we were talking about 30 weight, since it's relatively easier to find in 5q jugs.

But if we are talking about 0w-40, nothing beats Mobil 1 0w40. Readily available, on the market for the last couple of decades, has the most approvals etc.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul

QNX (owned by Blackberry) is the basis for Ford Sync 3

What about edge 0w-40?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back