saving phone number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
we had a concessionary phone here (bell employee retiree discount) and the relative who got the discount died. Phone bill shot way up. We are still in house, use cell. I would like to save the old land line number for various reasons, and shut the actual land line. How to save the number? Google, or magic jack, or ??? Thanks.

You can port that number to another phone...The only reason i still have landlines in my house is because of the fax machines and the Burglar/Fire alarm which has celular backup anyway..

I vote for Google Voice since it's a one-time fee to port and no additional charges for calls & texts within the US. Magic Jack would work, as would Ooma, or other VOIP services.

Using fax on anything other than a landline is a gamble. Some VOIP may work, many probably won't. If your fax needs are mission-critical, my advice would be to keep the landline. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
There are online services to fax so unless a bunch of people have your fax number, you can sign up for one of those and just give out the new number when it's needed.

If you need FAX, I believe Vonage supports them, and we had good luck with ViaTalk as a VoIP provider.

If you just want to park the #, the best bet is T-Mobile prepaid. Pickup a phone and port your # - $3.99/mo gives you 30 minutes or 30 texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back