06 Tacoma junk frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case, I tell them that they WILL return the truck or the next call will be to the police for auto theft!

All that diet pop has gone to your head.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I drink Diet Pepsi and Diet Mtn Dew. As a truck driver, I like the caffeine and drink sometimes 5-6 cans a day.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I drink Diet Pepsi and Diet Mtn Dew. As a truck driver, I like the caffeine and drink sometimes 5-6 cans a day.

If you say so. Why the personal insults loser? You sore that Toyota isn't better than anything else, but you bought into that and paid a premium price and sent your money to Japan putting your neighbors from Ohio out of work?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
In that case, I tell them that they WILL return the truck or the next call will be to the police for auto theft!

That was my first thought as well. How could that be considered anything other than theft?

^^^LOL. Why would anyone want junk? It should be off the road.

Some people actually ARE skilled enough to repair a damaged frame! (And I live an hour and a half from one.)

Originally Posted By: andyd
The Rat has a fair amount of frame rust. Ive fixed the critical one under the LF cab support. I'm using techniques I learned as a ship fitter apprentice. I formed over plates from a piece of steel, I cut from a 275 gallon heating oil tank. It is 150% thicker and can be worked with simple tools. It is a little punky beside the plastic fuel tank, but is fine for now. Rangers are notorious for rear spring and body supports rotting off too.

If you need to re-do the repair, try a Safe-T-Cap.

If you say so. Why the personal insults loser? You sore that Toyota isn't better than anything else, but you bought into that and paid a premium price and sent your money to Japan putting your neighbors from Ohio out of work?
Camry is the most American made car made in 2012. More than your Silverado.

Quote:
Once again,Cars.com has come to the counter-intuitive conclusion that the Toyota Camry is the most American of all cars -- more U.S. sourced parts, U.S. production and U.S. sales.

It was the fourth-straight year that the Camry came in tops in the "American-made" survey.

Source

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Quote:
Once again,Cars.com has come to the counter-intuitive conclusion that the Toyota Camry is the most American of all cars -- more U.S. sourced parts, U.S. production and U.S. sales.

It was the fourth-straight year that the Camry came in tops in the "American-made" survey.

Source

GM employs more Americans than Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia combined.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Silverado12 said:

Quote:

Source

GM employs more Americans than Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia combined.
But they sure do make a lot of cars in Mexico, Canada, and Korea.

GM has more plants in the US than any other manufacturer, they also have very few Mexican plants and a lot of those vehicles manufactured in Mexico go to South America. Out of over a dozen GM cars I have owned, all were made in the US except 1 from Canada and 1 from Germany.

But this thread is about junk Toyotas so let's get back on topic.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The Rat has a fair amount of frame rust. Ive fixed the critical one under the LF cab support. I'm using techniques I learned as a ship fitter apprentice. I formed over plates from a piece of steel, I cut from a 275 gallon heating oil tank. It is 150% thicker and can be worked with simple tools. It is a little punky beside the plastic fuel tank, but is fine for now. Rangers are notorious for rear spring and body supports rotting off too.

If you need to re-do the repair, try a Safe-T-Cap.

Perhaps a bit more expensive than a Bent-FREE-Scrap.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

GM has more plants in the US than any other manufacturer, they also have very few Mexican plants and a lot of those vehicles manufactured in Mexico go to South America. Out of over a dozen GM cars I have owned, all were made in the US except 1 from Canada and 1 from Germany.

But this thread is about junk Toyotas so let's get back on topic.

GM also sells a lot of cars in Canada. Can't really say about Mexico because I've never been there. Look at the trade deficit with Japan. They just don't buy our stuff. I think Ford pulled out of Japan recently. The beloved imports have plants in Mexico too and import cars there to the US (Nissan Versa is one). GMs small cars are made here.

Last edited:
It has doubled with S Korea since the free trade agreement was inked by current leaders.
Been there plenty times - easy to see how out of balance trade is ...

Good, tidbit laden thread-loved the part about one guy's diet soda drinking habit-but it appears very few people have experienced the Toyota frame replacement first-hand.

I feel it's all scheduled on paper. The dealer gets whatever is acceptable to bill and they'll take time to do the job if any replacement vehicle is paid for by Toyota too.

Originally Posted By: Anduril

That was my first thought as well. How could that be considered anything other than theft?

I'm not sure what the legality of returning an unsafe vehicle to a customer is. I suspect an honest shop has two options:
-scrape the inspection sticker and return the vehicle (and possibly inform state PD as to the issue)
-delay the customer as long as possible after calling state PD and informing them that a customer wants to drive off in a clearly unsafe vehicle; and then waiting for PD to show up, do a quick inspection, and then have state PD inform the customer that, as soon as they pull out onto the road, they will be stopped, and they will have their vehicle towed at owner's expense.

Most shops (certainly dealers) have a license to do inspections, so I'm not sure if they have the right to scrape stickers or not.

Almost a month later picked up the truck tonight felt like I gave them plenty of time and felt I was getting the run around at week three. That all said truck looks absolutely brand new underneath and drive brand new and dead straight no new noises overall happy so far.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Almost a month later picked up the truck tonight felt like I gave them plenty of time and felt I was getting the run around at week three. That all said truck looks absolutely brand new underneath and drive brand new and dead straight no new noises overall happy so far.

You need to post pictures of the new frame, sir!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

grin.gif

New fram
All new leaf springs and lower control arms all new all on Toyota
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

grin.gif

New fram
All new leaf springs and lower control arms all new all on Toyota
smile.gif

If you can wait out the hassle, it ends up being a pretty good deal. And they've done so many of these frame swaps at this point that they have them down to a science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back