Fridge might be toast after 4 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you buy a fridge, you usually think it will last a while. While she still runs, it no longer cools (currently of highest setting-freezer just above 40). I might have unwillingly done some of the damage myself, as a few weeks back my son knocked a shelf down I had to out back up-and I pushed the fridge all the way to the wall (It currently sits in a compact space without much airflow) I noticed this week that the feezer was icing up (thought is was a ice cube spill) before it went down. We also had a 3 day power outage about 3 weeks ago as well....

My dad and I checked a few things (fan is running/compressor is warm/hottish) and cleaned it. We even reset it, and it doesn't help. So a figure I either A) cooked it good or B) may have it stuck in defrost mode. Really want to fix it-but my gut tells me it's toast......

By the way-it is a simple, basic 21.3 Whirlpool fridge with freezer on top...with no frills....

So I have 2 questions:

1- Any final ideas before it gets sent out into the street? (will be out of town for 5 days-so I have some time)

2- And if I do have to get a new fridge- would a slighly smaller one (like an 18) be better for the compact space it is in? And suggestions for a solid, no frills kinda fridge?

Would like the save my current fridge first, but also ideas for new ones just in case...

Thank you guys in advance....

It does sound like it could be stuck in defrost or if it has the coils on the back it needs to be away from the wall for airflow. So I'd try pulling it away from the wall and getting more airflow back there. Check under the machine too, the air flows thru the space underneath and if its blocked...

Its been my experience and I've been told by several techs that refrigerators and freezers now last about 10 yeas on average. It also a good idea to get the model number and research it online, especially on youtube. Frequently I find model specific info on there. Good luck and post back with what happens! Have a safe trip.

A new fridge is what, $700? A service call is maybe $150 tops and then a part or two, so like $300 maximum out the door? Seems like a smart gamble to get someone to look at it.

A lot of appliances you can also read up on via forums, and get troubleshooting info online. Parts too, even on eBay.

Worth a little searching...

I had similar problem with my fridge few weeks ago. I vacuumed everything under and behind the fridge, disconnect the power and set a table fan behind it for few hours while went to Home Depot shopping for replacement.

Came home reconnected the power and it came back to life. Now I don't have it all the way to the back wall, I have probably 3-4" clearance on the back to let the fridge fan work its magic.

Nothing in appliances last like they used to. They actually tune them to only last 4-5 years now. The days of fridges and washers lasting generations is over. We need manufacturing to keep the population busy and provide jobs.

I see you're in Michigan... any access to a Menards?

I'm on the other side of the "get a service call" debate. Most appliances are now a throwaway product, and after tax, you could be out the door for under $500. I found this 18 cubic foot Frigidaire at Menards for $428. We have the same fridge as an extra one in the basement and it has run well for a year or two. It's quiet, keeps stuff cold and cost under $500. If it was me, I'd just replace it.

Good luck. And we have a much more expensive GE french door upstairs that had several warranty repairs, and then needed a several hundred dollar control board one month out of warranty. It can't keep a consistent temperature, and both drawers are cracked, as well as the drawer frame. The ice maker quits sometimes, and the compressor makes a very loud noise once in a while. After this experience, I wouldn't recommend GE to you. I think that Frigidaire seem to be a good value.

Good luck. https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/...105593236494316

Last edited:
Some things are still repairable these days. If the compressor is running there is no reason to put it on the curb.

Does it have a digital control panel ? Mine stopped - same age - another make.
$150 to "look at it" ...
I popped out the control panel, got PN and $50 on eBay - running good.

Originally Posted By: meadows
Check that defrost switch.

Yes! And clean it, inside and out and leave it unplugged for a day.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Nothing in appliances last like they used to. They actually tune them to only last 4-5 years now. The days of fridges and washers lasting generations is over. We need manufacturing to keep the population busy and provide jobs.

Proof? Because in my experience that's a load of nonsense.

Have a 3 door Kenmore Elite - 10 years, never broke down - constantly open and inside gazed at (teens) ...
Have a Hotpoint at my camp - older yet.
The 4 year old unit in my mud room - I fixed with $50 pop in part.
Not sure if those got the 5 year tune ...

Yeah, id say search your problem and issue in google and try to find someone with your model. Whirlpool is one of the more reliable brands per what I've read (experience may very). Issue I had was a drain at back of fridge getting clogged and found out how to fix it online. Definitely worth trying a few troubleshooting tips and even replacing a few parts. If able to be handy the internet can save cash..if not you can likely find someone on craigslist or kijiji or word of mouth who might charge less than 100$ to diagnose it. Id take a chance and pay 100$ and likely the new parts will still be less than half the cost of a new fridge.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Proof? Because in my experience that's a load of nonsense.

Seriously? Your post is obviously just from your experience only. You really need to get out in the world once.
The days of the durable International Harvester freezer that lasts 50 years or the 250 lb. Sears Kenmore washer built in 1973 are over. Most of the compressors that come in modern refrigerator or freezer are made outside of the USA, probably in China, even if the appliance proudly says "Made in USA" on it.
You probably think Maytag appliances are still made in Newton, Iowa.

Check the defrost timer as well as the thermistor that controls the defrost cycle. We had a 1990's vintage Whirlpool freezer top, fridge bottom model at our old house. Did something similar - froze up after a few days. Turned out that the thermistor that controls the heater failed and when the machine went into defrost would never let the heater turn on and melt the ice on the coils. IIRC the part was like $20 and took less than an hour to replace as it clipped on to the evaporator coil.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Does it have a digital control panel ? Mine stopped - same age - another make.
$150 to "look at it" ...
I popped out the control panel, got PN and $50 on eBay - running good.

I pulled my fridge out to vacuum the coils, and somehow did in the control board. Picked up a new control board on Ebay, and it's been working fine for more than 2 years.

Don't give up on her just yet. The ice maker and water dispenser on our fridgedaire side-by-side went out two times over the span of ten years. Google, YouTube and eBay helped me fix her both times. I just sold her for $100 two weekends ago. Heck, my flat screen LED TV got burned when our surge protector didn't do its job and the main board got fired. YouTube, eBay and a part that took 3 weeks to get here from China saved me on that one too.

Give fixing it a shot, you might be surprised.

If this makes anyone feel better, my Great Uncle has the "Second Fridge bought in our county after WW2"

It ran up to around 2003 with no repairs in his welding shop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back