When to do first oil change on new FCA minivan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been over ten year since we last purchased a new vehicle. For decades there was always a recommendation to change oil the first time anywhere from a few hundred miles in up to 1,000 miles depending on the manufacturer.

Now it seems that most companies say to just leave the factory oil in until the first normal interval. I've even seen comments suggesting that the factory fill and/or factory assembly lubes have some beneficial additives for initial break in that refill oils do not.

So I'm conflicted. For long term durability, is it best to leave the factory fill in until the maintenance minder says to change it, or should I do something at around 500 to 1000 miles? The trivial cost of doing my own oil change isn't a concern.

What will best help for long term durability?

Three out of my four cars were run on the factory fill to the first interval as recommended by the manufacturer. I don't think I sacrificed any long term durability. The fourth one (the BMW) had an unknown history.

It has been discussed here many times here over the years. There are two sides to this debate, and occasionally they go to battle over it. One side says leave it in for the full duration of the interval stated in the OM, or until the OLM tells you to change it. The other side says change it early and get the break in metals out ASAP. Both sides put up a pretty good fight. I change mine early............
27.gif

All my cars I bought over the last 30+ years had first oil change at normal OCI. never had any problem with any engine, oil related or not.

The most mile I had was 1994 Lexus LS400 at 380+k miles when I sold it few months ago after 22 years. It didn't need any engine work and it consumed 1/2 quart of oil from new.

I changed the FF on my malibu about 4.2k and 30 odd % oil life left and there was quite i bit of break in metals in the filter.

I changed the oil in my 2015 grand caravan at 4000 km/2600 miles. I looked at the filter and it had bits of metal in it.

Did the next oil change 11500 km later.

Sounds like the debate isn't completely settled. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to change it at 500 miles because I'm a bit obsessive about vehicle maintenance
smile.gif

The rest of this van will likely be toast before the engine gives up regardless of when you do the first drain.
Until we bought our newer Accord, I was a firm believer in a 1K drain on a new engine. With this Accord, Honda was pretty adamant about running the FF for a normal interval, so I left it in until 15% MM, which was around 8.7K.
While an early drain might be good practice, the high moly content of the assembly lube might prevent excess early bearing and journal wear while the abrasive particles too small to be captured by the oil filter might actually aid ring seating, as with the well documented use of abrasive household cleanser to seat the rings of early SBC engines when an owner showed up at the dealer with high oil consumption on his new V-8 Chevy.
IDK, but I do know that if manufacturers thought that an early first drain would significantly increase the life of an engine, they'd recommend it.
Few do.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Sounds like the debate isn't completely settled. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to change it at 500 miles because I'm a bit obsessive about vehicle maintenance
smile.gif

There are several members here that are in that same camp. Either way drive it in good health!

I would let it go a regular oci when we rebuild engines we usually tell the customer to come back in at 4000 miles for a free check up and oil change but on a brand new engine you could go the full oci
Good Luck with your new purchase be safe and enjoy.

1st oil change within 100 miles of taking possession of the vehicle; 2nd oil change 1500 miles after 1st change, 3rd oil change 3K miles after 2nd, 4th and beyond at normal intervals. Go synthetic at 4th change.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4161992/Re:_Oil_opinions_after_dumping#Post4161992 If you read this 4 page post you can see it got pretty testy.

I have been called confrontational, boy, e-peen, (had to look that up) derogatory and irrelevant for passing along RECOMMENDATIONS from someone with more oil credentials and oil education than anyone on this board. I was TRYING to do none of the above, all I was trying to do was pass along educated opinion, which is how I regard Mr. Jim Fitch's. Mr. Fitch's RECOMMENDATIONS may or may not be followed. He said he wrote them for people wishing to obtain long life from their vehicle..it is your vehicle, do as you please...and I guess, no, the matter is not settled. BITOG is not the only source of information regarding oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I look at the occasional UOA from a new vehicle, and wear metals are always high, a normal occurrence for an new engine. Obviously those wear metals are not being filtered out of the oil, because they show up as elevated wear metals in the report. I look at those metals as metal which can cause additional wear, I want them out. Are they harmless? Even the finest sand paper can remove paint from metal, or metal from metal given enough time. The same applies for extra wear metal in an engine. I agree with Noria's findings, numerous discussions with Trav, and an old friend who owns a machine shop and builds engines. But as mentioned this topic will always have two sides.

OP- Bottom line your car, your money, spend it as you see fit.

Next time I take possession of a new vehicle I will take a jack, tools, oil & filter, drain pan, etc....if the vehicle has more than 100 miles on it I will drain the oil and change it before leaving the dealer lot. If you disagree with me it's a free country. Do as you please and enjoy your new vehicle.

Well I'd be more concerned with checking all the fluids to make sure they are there. My folks bought a new car that made it 150 miles before the differential gave out. Dry as a bone. Dealer missed it (or more likely did not check ...) and it toasted a vacation while waiting for parts ...

If all the fluids are there, you're good to go as you see fit.

Me, I'd drop that oil ASAP, install my own selection with a new filter, and add a magnetic drain plug. Oil's cheap. Waiting around while it gets repaired, not so much ...

Mostly I'll be under there looking at stuff and checking things anyway, so what's the effort to change the oil
smile.gif

I always do the full oil change interval on new cars. On two new Honda cars that has been 11K and 12K miles.

The oil filter will catch anything worth catching, and it is MY OPINION that a little bit of small micron grit in the oil that gets through the oil filter helps the rings to seal properly. All my engines use NO OIL. I drive them like I stole them from brand new and I put over 10K miles on the original factory installed oil. Seems to work for me as my last Honda had over 250K miles when traded and my Acura is over 160K miles and still climbing.

Every new car I purchase gets changed out at around 1000-2000 miles for its first oil change. I just like to dump whatever break in metals, casting debris etc out. Is there a problem going the full oil change interval? Probably not. I just prefer to.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I always do the full oil change interval on new cars.

Me too, although I didn't always. I did my apprenticeship back in the days when the oil and filter got changed at 1,500km at the latest, so that's just what I kept doing with my own vehicles too. These days, I let 'em run through as per the manufacturers spec, which in the case of my Outlander was 15,000km. Never had to top the oil up in that time either. I think the "change early" school of thought is old fashioned, but I completely understand how some people haven't yet come to terms with long drain intervals. It certainly took me a while!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Well I'd be more concerned with checking all the fluids to make sure they are there. My folks bought a new car that made it 150 miles before the differential gave out. Dry as a bone. Dealer missed it (or more likely did not check ...) and it toasted a vacation while waiting for parts ...

If all the fluids are there, you're good to go as you see fit.

Me, I'd drop that oil ASAP, install my own selection with a new filter, and add a magnetic drain plug. Oil's cheap. Waiting around while it gets repaired, not so much ...

Mostly I'll be under there looking at stuff and checking things anyway, so what's the effort to change the oil
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
A man after my own heart.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Every new car I purchase gets changed out at around 1000-2000 miles for its first oil change.

^ I like this answer the best.

I'm not paranoid about the first oil change and fall into the middle of the extremes. If I am going to do 6,000 mile OC then I do the FF at 3,000, then 6,000 etc.. If I'm going to let the OCM, then 50% is my target point. I also check ALL fluid levels at first opportunity. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back