Good Pneumatic Tools for a Good Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a couple of pneumatic ratchets (1/4" drive & 3/8" drive) and a die grinder. I don't need the best - 6-7/10 in quality/features is what I normally shoot for when I buy something. So, not the best and not cheap either.

Recommend a brand?

HF's Earthquake 3/8" air ratchet is a pretty good DIY'er air rat. It's powerful enough to get some fairly stubborn bolts out, doesn't bust knuckles when it runs up against a really stuck bolt, and is pretty quiet. It's also good on air. Not sure where to get a decent 1/4" air rat, besides not HF. None of their smaller 1/4" air rats seem to be worth it. I've been eyeing the Florida Pneumatic 1/4" air rat on Amazon, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Harbor freight has some ok cheap stuff with a warranty Some of their stuff is pretty good for the do it yourself type of guy.
I see some shops using their stuff sometimes also.
i have some cp air tools and they are top notch but were not cheap

I have the Earthquake 3/8" ratchet and really like it.

I just wish HF offered 3/8" chrome moly sockets.

They have a new composite impact gun lineup that seems interesting, but I haven't seem them in my store yet. They have 1/2", 1/2" compact and a 3/8" IIRC.

These 2 are a good buy for the money, when the IR came out over 10 years ago it was almost twice the price. Not the best but it works good an will last, you can get parts easy for it.
The Astro is no powerhouse, its almost 10Lb less torque than the IR, CP or Florida but for 1/4" its 16Lb is okay, Astro isn't top shelf but their stuff is dependable and works well.

I don't usually recommend HF stuff and I cant recommend their 3/8 either because I don't own it buy guys claim its decent. It does have one nice feature, its reaction less meaning it doesn't want to slam your fingers into the closest metal object every time it tightens a bolt.
This feature is found on high end tools and it works great, HF calls it an impact ratchet which it really isn't, my biggest concern with HF is the lack of parts support. Still, at that price point it might be worth looking at for that feature alone, it isn't the same quality as the IR though, buy it knowing that and it may end up in the bin sooner than later right up front.

https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-10...ive+air+ratchet

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-AST1111-Mini-Ratchet/dp/B000LQLGG0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1471781088&sr=8-11&keywords=1%2F4+drive+air+ratch

I think the HF Earthquake pneumatic tools are fine for a shade tree mechanic. I have a bunch and have not had any issues. Don't count out a quality cordless impact tool.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think the HF Earthquake pneumatic tools are fine for a shade tree mechanic. I have a bunch and have not had any issues. Don't count out a quality cordless impact tool.

+1. I have the HF 1/2 inch and 3/8 earthquake impacts. The 3/8ths is ok for medium duty. The 1/2 model I have is the older model. The 1/2 is heavier because it's made of metal, but will stand up to anything you throw at it.

Buy them with the 20% off coupon.

What type/size of compressor do you have?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: jcwit
One word, Pawnshop!
not here! They are asking more than retail for used tools here! Won't budge on price so someone must be buying them

Well, another reason to live in the middle!

Frankly I think little of anything on the left coast.

One word, Pawnshop!

In my area you won't find a good deal on an air tool at a pawn shop. I frequently visit them.

And I'm in the "middle" of the country.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
One word, Pawnshop!
not here! They are asking more than retail for used tools here! Won't budge on price so someone must be buying them

Well, another reason to live in the middle!

Frankly I think little of anything on the left coast.

No need for a snide insult against another member's part of the country simply because his experience hasn't mirrored yours.

That types of response doesn't improve this forum, it does the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back