M1 Filter Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see what the great BITOG minds think about this. I’m not sure I know what to make of this.

I picked up 5 M1 filters at Advance using my various speedperks coupons that were going to expire. Came out to a great deal for these. I always looked at these as a high quality filter until I started running them. The filter is a M-102 for a V6 Camry.

I used the first filter in June and the second in July. I did not see the problem so much with the first filter but the second filter definitely had an issue. The oil light was staying on longer than normal at each start up. I hadn’t seen it like this since my Pure One ADV blowout a few years ago. I was immediately thinking the same issue occurred with the M1. I piled 5,000 miles on the car in about 3 weeks so I decided to see if there was a filter issue.

Prior to dumping the oil, I checked the 3 remaining M1 filters. Blowing through the center hole I immediately realized there was an issue. The air was easily flowing out between the base plate and can. All 3 filters were like this. No way was I going to use them. Headed over to WM to pick up another filter. While in the store, I checked all the Fram brands and was not able to blow through any of them, the result I would expect. Ended up grabbing a TG3614 filter.
A half hour after returning from WM I pulled the filter and it was empty, no mess at all during removal. Every other filter I have removed other than the P1 resulted in the filter emptying upon removal. I cleaned the filter base plate up and was able to blow through this one too. For those unfamiliar with the Toyota 1MZ-FE, the filter mounts at an angle where the filter is about 45 degrees upside-down.

Question - Is this normal for M1? How can this be with every filter I have? Manufacturing defect? I plan to contact Mobil regarding this issue. After looking at them I can see a gap where it looks like it should be a solid connection.

If it means anything, the codes on the filters I have left are:

051815AF 10:56
020816AF 17:53
030516AF 05:08

All made in the USA. I’m guessing these are the manufacturing dates. If so, it leads me to believe this is a design flaw since the dates are varied. How can they design a filter that empties when mounted inverted?

TIA. Looking forward to the feedback.

I think that in order to check the ADV you would have to suck on the center hole of the filter. When you blow on the center hole you are providing flow in the same direction that the oil normally flows. If you can not blow in the center hole it means that the forward flow through the ADV is more resistance than you can overcome, but that does not mean that the ADV is working.

Originally Posted By: Big Smoke
While in the store, I checked all the Fram brands and was not able to blow through any of them,

I'm picturing the security staff watching this on camera...
smile.gif

You can see the ADV via the circular ports - oil moves past that into the "annulus" between can and filter media.
Think you are fine - that's a good buy you made BTW ...

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I think that in order to check the ADV you would have to suck on the center hole of the filter. When you blow on the center hole you are providing flow in the same direction that the oil normally flows.

Got it backwards ... the oil flows into the small base plate holes, past the ADBV, through the media, out the center tube and then out the center hole of the base plate and in to the engine.

If you blow into the center hole in the base plate and air escapes, it means the ADBV is not sealing and will probably also leak oil when the filter is on the engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I think that in order to check the ADV you would have to suck on the center hole of the filter. When you blow on the center hole you are providing flow in the same direction that the oil normally flows.

Got it backwards ... the oil flows into the small base plate holes, past the ADBV, through the media, out the center tube and then out the center hole of the base plate and in to the engine.

If you blow into the center hole in the base plate and air escapes, it means the ADBV is not sealing and will probably also leak oil when the filter is on the engine.

This

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Protip: Oil is a lot thicker than air.

Correct. Blowing air through a filter is not comparable to running oil through it. It should be a lot easier for air to escape.

Run water (or oil) through it and then let us know what happens.

^^^ If it doesn't leak with air it's not going to leak with oil. Plenty of filters will not pass air past the ADBV if you flow in to the center hole.

Mobil 1 and Royal Purple both gave me extended oil light on my 1mzfe

Last edited:

Thank you for the friendly tip of oil being thicker than air. I didn't post this so some genius like you could come and be a smart a**. Since you know it all, can you please explain why the M1 gives an extended oil light on a car that I've done countless oil changes on?

This is not an ADV issue believe me. Air blown either way results in air coming out from between the base plate and can seal. Nothing to do with the ADV.

Bottom line here, the filter was emptying out shortly after the engine was stopped each and everytime. I'm hoping someone can provide a logical explanation or educate me on something I didn't know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Big Smoke

Thank you for the friendly tip of oil being thicker than air. I didn't post this so some genius like you could come and be a smart a**. Since you know it all, can you please explain why the M1 gives an extended oil light on a car that I've done countless oil changes on?

This is not an ADV issue believe me. Air blown either way results in air coming out from between the base plate and can seal. Nothing to do with the ADV.

Bottom line here, the filter was emptying out shortly after the engine was stopped each and everytime. I'm hoping someone can provide a logical explanation or educate me on something I didn't know.

That certainly is a leaky ADBV. If the ADBV was sealing, you wouldn't get air to leak in either direction, and you wouldn't have an empty filter shortly after engine shutdown.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What PSI triggers the ADBV from stopping oil flow?

The ADBV should stop all oil from back draining when the engine is off. I would guesstimate that it only takes a PSI or so (not much) to make the ADBV open up in the direction of normal oil flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back