0 activity on Facebook for 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted a status update, hit the like button or communicated with anyone on Facebook for a year. My life is better for it.

I deleted mine 5 years ago. I do miss the communication aspects..

I might sign up just for those and never post.

I never got into facebook all too often, have it, but it's always been boring to me. I never saw myself in a situation where I thought I should post something as it usually sounds stupid when I'm thinking it out. I just use it for communication reasons.

What was bad for me was when I was younger I used to be obsessed with playing video games back in high school/middle school. That's all I ever wanted to do and it affected my grades and athleticism in the sports I played. One day I got realized how terrible it was affecting me and I packed up all my games and gaming consoles and I have not touched them since. It's been going on 5+ years now? My life has been a 1000x times better.

I use it to stay in touch with my youngest brother and mother.

Other then that,I subscribe to feeds for things I'm interested in. Otherwise I'd have "0" use for Facebook as well.

I only use it to find out what's going on news wise, while out and about.

After I found out my family member was having kids (through fb, rather then a call), I knew that was the time to stop.

I've been debating totally giving it up too, but every time I lapse for a week or 2 I get a message on there from someone I want to talk to.
I would rather not have it anymore, but I also like the communication aspect and that's all I use it for anymore.

Never had it, NEVER will!!!!! What happened to verbal communication between Friends & more importantly Family?? I get all my text drama from automotive forums!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I never had a Facebook, LinkedIn, etc..., account.

Zero need for any crazy physco drama and one upping.

Wouldn't LinkedIn be a good place to point out those $22/hr medical equipment jobs rather than BITOG? JMO.

I like FB for keeping up with friends' activities. Some of our close friends who dont live that close, who we dont see more than a few times a year, we stay connected with and up on their stuff better...

But at election time, it becomes a terrible platform for politics and it is not pleasant to read, frankly. I havent been on for a few weeks.

Sometimes Im on daily, especially when I have time, like on vacation. Other times Im not on for months. No big deal.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I never had a Facebook, LinkedIn, etc..., account.

Zero need for any crazy physco drama and one upping.

Wouldn't LinkedIn be a good place to point out those $22/hr medical equipment jobs rather than BITOG? JMO.

I deleted my LinkedIn. It was just spam and people saying fake things about eachother to boost their egos. Similar to Facebook but LinkedIn was supposed to be professional.

The owner of Facebook thinks ALL information should be available to anyone at any time. Anything. Everything.

My daughter and SIL spent 8 years in the computer/internet/software world in Cali. They refuse to be on Facebook. When you join FB it's search engine starts looking for every scrap of info about you or connected to you on the internet and keeps a file. You might not agree to share everything FB has but it has it all stored. If you've friended (or whatever) Joe Smith and I have too it makes that connection and looks if you and I have anything else in common and links us together. Is the social convenience worth the intrusion? Yes the data is all out there anyway but FB actively and aggressively collects and stores it. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
The owner of Facebook thinks ALL information should be available to anyone at any time. Anything. Everything.

My daughter and SIL spent 8 years in the computer/internet/software world in Cali. They refuse to be on Facebook. When you join FB it's search engine starts looking for every scrap of info about you or connected to you on the internet and keeps a file. You might not agree to share everything FB has but it has it all stored. If you've friended (or whatever) Joe Smith and I have too it makes that connection and looks if you and I have anything else in common and links us together. Is the social convenience worth the intrusion? Yes the data is all out there anyway but FB actively and aggressively collects and stores it. No thanks.

Pretty much everyone collects data now.....

If they want it-they will get it anyways. Stopped worrying about that a while back...

I use facebook pretty much for family/friends only, not much other than that...

And for those who complain about lack of calls, not sure people want to share news with others at 2am....
wink.gif
And it is the easiest way to get info out sometimes....don't agree with it-but it is what it is...

I've never had an active account and since being given instructions when first becoming a manager a few years back that as part of my duties I was required to monitor my report's accounts and they were required to friend me I have never had the motivation to use it outside that purpose. Their failure to provide access was to result in immediate termination as was any behavior unbecoming of a professional. Any negative posts about their job or the company was to be addressed and a few people including managers have been demoted and terminated. My failure to include these reviews in biannual employee reviews would have resulted in similar action to myself. This is all legal and above board in many states despite perceptions otherwise.

Never been on it. Wife has it, and if she didn't I might have one, just because it can be good for keeping in touch with more. I think she only looks in the evening, when we're relaxing in front of the tv, unwinding before bed. Honestly, I'm not sure I want to link up with past friends; we've all moved on, and while it'd be fun catching up sometime... sometimes life just moves on. Sorry, that's life.

I wish I hadn't signed up on LinkedIn, managed to wind up with two accounts. At some point I should delete them. I'm not sure what good its for, really. I get the idea about networking, but honestly I'd probably have better results networking on FB.

I love it. I keep in touch with friends of 50+ years ago..HS classmates and work fiends. About 6 months ago I got a note from a girl who was my best friend til I moved away. Hadn't been in touch with her for over 50 years.

Many that down FB don't realize you can make it as public or private as you want. You can make it so that only your close friends see your posts and vice versa.

To each his own.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like FB for keeping up with friends' activities. Some of our close friends who dont live that close, who we dont see more than a few times a year, we stay connected with and up on their stuff better...

But at election time, it becomes a terrible platform for politics and it is not pleasant to read, frankly. I havent been on for a few weeks.

I feel the same way, I love staying connected with friends and family that live far away, it's so great for that! But I also hate the political rants, I wish there was a way for me to filter it out so I don't see it! (other than hiding the feed from the people that constantly post political stuff that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back