Educate me on AGM batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to why the AMG batteries carry such a poor warranty vs price. Seems like the "pay back" is very poor except in cases where they are required. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I'm curious as to why the AMG batteries carry such a poor warranty vs price. Seems like the "pay back" is very poor except in cases where they are required. Ed

They are designed for cars with huge amount of electronics and usually driven by soccer moms (at least initially).
For example, they were firs widely used by BMW in E60 and fallowing series (E61, E70, E71 etc.). They used standard flooded batteries but proved insufficient for amount of electronics.
They switched to AGM and still had issues because profile of the people who were driving cars designed to be driven a lot, were soccer moms and similar; meaning, they used car for few miles a day not allowing proper discharge and charge.

Well, think the AGM has there place. Think a regular filled battery is the way I will go on the Camry.

The weak warranty per dollar cost, suggests that the manufactured life expectancy is no better that the manufactures of liquid batteries which is quite minimal. I think AGM batteries are the only way to go for airplanes that fly inverted :))

This is purely anecdotal, but my experience is that a conventional replacement battery typically lasts 2 - 4 winters here.

I bought AGM batteries (Optima Redtops) for both of my former vehicles with the expectation the batteries would outlast the cars. This turned out to be the case so far.

The '01 Protege got a Redtop in early 2009, and went to the boneyard just a couple of months ago. We'd passed the car on to our son a few years ago, and he'd left it out on the street for about a week at -30 C. The battery had been discharged by short trips at cold temperatures with power-hungry accessories (blower motor & rear-window defroster) used full-time. I thought that was it for the battery, but we thawed it out indoors, charged it, and it was good for another 2-1/2 years until the car rusted out around it.

The '97 MPV got a Redtop c. April 2011 and it's also not let us down.

The batteries were expensive, but I'm sure both vehicles would have needed replacements if I'd gone with conventional flooded batteries. So, we've broken even or better on the cost and have saved some hassle.

My experience - YMMV.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Well, think the AGM has there place. Think a regular filled battery is the way I will go on the Camry.

Of course man. You do not need AGM in Camry.

AGM has lower impedance (takes less voltage to push the same current into the battery, and there is less voltage drop for a given load when discharging).

AGM offgasses to the environment at about 1% of what a flooded battery does. Even flooded batteries these days are good at recombining the hydrogen and oxygen, but these do even better. Important when the chance of being depleted is much more often, and near the top of charge, where voltages will inherently be higher and therefore more likely to electrolyze.

In theory they last longer because of better sealing, better operation, more difficulty to create internal shorts, etc.

Is it worth it in an easily installed, underhood application? Not really, IMO. They do self-discharge less, so if the vehicle sits for a long time, that can make a difference. But otherwise, the only situations I use them in is when there is where the battery is in the trunk or under a back seat.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In theory they last longer because of better sealing, better operation, more difficulty to create internal shorts, etc.

Is it worth it in an easily installed, underhood application? Not really, IMO. They do self-discharge less, so if the vehicle sits for a long time, that can make a difference. But otherwise, the only situations I use them in is when there is where the battery is in the trunk or under a back seat.

I have AC-Delco AGM battery giant BCI size 49 under the back seat of my E430 for almost 2 years. I bought it from Amazon when they had it on sale for around $100.

I moved the 2-3 year old battery to Volvo V70, and I used that Volvo battery(size 56 ?) in the 2014 Accord few months ago. Now I have 1.5 year old battery size 51R in garage. I put on battery tender once in a while to keep it fully charged.

Put an Odyssey PC 525 in my John Deere 15 years ago or so. I don't even bother with giving it a boost in the spring. Starts right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back