time for some fluid changes for maintenance sake..

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Toyota Sequoia. 218,500 miles on it. Time to change out the diffs, transfer case and grease up the zerks.

The manual states - T-Case - 75W-90 1.3 qt.
Diff - Front - Hypoid Gear Oil - 75W-90 1.2 qt.
Rear - 80W-90 3.9 qt.

Seems off to me that the rear uses so much more fluid than the front, why is that?

Considering this is the first I will have cracked these open (I bought this used) what fluid brands would you suggest?

Synthetic or conventional? Almost all my miles are highway miles but there are times when I use 4X4 for 50 miles or so to get to work when the weather is bad. I like synthetic fluids but am always a bit gushy using them on older vehicles for fear of getting leaks. Maybe I'm working over nothing?

I plan to get some lithium grease to hit the zerks but I don' think I'm finding all of them on this truck. Finding a map of all the zerk locations is proving to be a tough task.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

The rear holds more fluid because it does the bulk of the work, pushing the vehicle in all daily situations.

I would use Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 in all 3 locations. Amazon has cases of 6 for a good price.

the manual for my sequoia states that the Diff oil is GL-5 and the transfer states to use GL-4 OR 5 so which one would I want to use for the transfer case?

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
the manual for my sequoia states that the Diff oil is GL-5 and the transfer states to use GL-4 OR 5 so which one would I want to use for the transfer case?

If it says use EITHER, then it doesn't matter. I'd get the same oil for all 3 locations to save you the hassle.

any concerns about using synthetic on a high mileage vehicle? I don't currently have any leaks anywhere.

+1 what Doog said ..M1 85w-140. For one thing it is called for in my truck but I go heavy in all my stuff. If you're towing heavy loads I see it as extra wear protection. Some years ago an acquaintance that towed a heavy boat regularly was on his 3rd rear diff and asked me what I thought. M1 xw-140 solved that problem no more diff problems.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
+1 what Doog said ..M1 85w-140. For one thing it is called for in my truck but I go heavy in all my stuff. If you're towing heavy loads I see it as extra wear protection. Some years ago an acquaintance that towed a heavy boat regularly was on his 3rd rear diff and asked me what I thought. M1 xw-140 solved that problem no more diff problems.

This fascinates me. What can you tell us about his usage and his maintenance regimen? Was he swamping the axle with lakewater and not changing it, and then he got more rigorous? How many miles was he getting out of his first 2 axles?

Most people never change their gear oil, and most people would probably run almost forever if they just changed it once IMHO

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
+1 what Doog said ..M1 85w-140.
For one thing it is called for in my truck but I go heavy in all my stuff. If you're towing heavy loads I see it as extra wear protection. Some years ago an acquaintance that towed a heavy boat regularly was on his 3rd rear diff and asked me what I thought. M1 xw-140 solved that problem no more diff problems.

Differential 'failures' seems pretty prevalent in Bitog here ...
My speculation is it always happens to GL5 75W90 or lighter grade, but not 85W140.CMIIMW.
blush.gif

OP,up to year 2000/1 a 90w gear oil was referring to ISO 150 AND ISO 220 'automotive' gear oil.
Avoid 75W90(typically an ISO 100) if you can.
JMHO.
blush.gif

I would get delo synthetic 75w90 at autozone for $6 ea. Probably won't have change these fluids again after that. I have delo in the front / rear diffs of my escalade.

hmmmm.......never considered going with such a heavy fluid.....I tow maybe 3-5 times a year one of those would be a load of firewood, the rest would be a load of lumber or some drywall and even then it's not much, just too much to fit in the cargo area of the drywall. I don't take this offloading except a random dirt road or gravel road to go fish or something, it's all very tame. Seems like the heavy weight discussed above would be wasted on me?

I'm someone who changes oil "way too soon" but I'll point out that there are millions of working diffs in junk yards with factory fill. Don't over think it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back