Replace battery or let it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The optima red top in my Jeep is almost 7 years old.its been working fine but I'm know it's getting a little old.

Took it to battery Mart for fun,they load tested it and it passed.

I don't want to get stranded somewhere but I don't want to replace a good battery.

Decisions decisions...

I'd let it go until it has trouble cranking the engine, but that's me. I'd keep a set of jumper cables in the vehicle at all times though.

It is just a matter of which scenario do you prefer. Changing out a 7 year old battery and driving with confidence, or waiting for the inevitable.

I had an oem AC Delco batt last 8 years so I would use the optima til it's done. I always keep jumper cables in my vehicle

Do you have one of those portable jump kits? You can just carry that with you if you ever go on a long trip. It's a good thing to have around regardless of what's in your car; the age of your current battery is just a good excuse to get one, if you haven't already. :]

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Do you have one of those portable jump kits? You can just carry that with you if you ever go on a long trip. It's a good thing to have around regardless of what's in your car; the age of your current battery is just a good excuse to get one, if you haven't already. :]
yes I do.

I have Optima Batteries that are 10 years old and still working fine. If it passes a load test and the charging system is good, it may well run for a lot longer. Optima's are not your typical flooded wet cell battery ...

Given where you live, the cranking requirements are not that difficult. I'd leave it until there's a reason to change.

If you can calculate battery impedance or capacity, then you could use standard condemnation practices. Since it's just guesswork, it's an arbitrary choice, but if testing ok, and not encountering winters, I'd let it go.

Heat destroys batteries (chemical ageing), but everything works better when warmer...

I'd leave it. I had two Diehards, one went 13+ years the other about 11. The OE battery in my Liberty is pushing 8 years and still going strong.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
It is just a matter of which scenario do you prefer. Changing out a 7 year old battery and driving with confidence, or waiting for the inevitable.

+1. Are you ok with getting stranded somewhere if the battery dies? Make sure you bring jumper cables with you.

While it load tests good I'd keep it. It's not as if your climate is going to demand very cold starts. My last battery gave up after 12 years.

I'm surprised it's still going. I went through two Red-Tops (from Costco) before I gave up on them.
Both failed soft in the first year of use.
They'd still start the car, but they didn't hold full voltage.
Starter motor sounded like it was cranking slower than normal.
I'd have problems with a radar detector putting itself into self-diagnostics mode, eventually every trip.
Sometimes the engine would have an unusual stumble.
Ran the first one for 4 years, the 2nd one for 3,
because they never died hard enough to not start the car.

Latest battery in that car is an X2power AGM from Batteries Plus, which
is doing fine (1 year into it).

The test should say the current CCA vs rated. So for if example if your just 1 CCA above the point you would fail, then I might replace it. It's more than pass/fail.

Last edited:
Keep going. Who knows how long it will last. Sounds like you are prepared. It is very uncommon to not get a warning when a battery starts failing. No reason to end up stranded if you are paying attention to the warning signs.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
He put it on the machine and after a few seconds it said good

You didn't remove the battery from the Jeep, and they tested the battery with a handheld device while the battery is under the hood ?

If you have a battery tender put it on overnight once a month.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You didn't remove the battery from the Jeep, and they tested the battery with a handheld device while the battery is under the hood ?

no they rolled a large snap on battery tester out to my jeep

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

No, they rolled a large snap on battery tester out to my jeep

This equipment is a very good battery tester. I would keep the current battery for few more years, in the meantime I would hook up a battery tender overnight once every few months.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
They usually give you plenty of warning before they die.

This has not been my experience the past 15 years or so. Working perfectly fine right up until total failure. And that was very predictably =/- a few weeks after 4 years of use.

Since adding a BatteryMinder to my regimen, I have gone 5+ years with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back