16 Frontier fluids for tcase, diffs, tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great site here, have been reading and learning for a while. First post, tried searches sorry if this is all redundant, if I missed an obvious thread/post please help with a link.

2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X 4.0 V6, 6spd 4x4 with rear locker.

I am a firm believer in early fluid changes to flush out initial wear and would like to change the fluids in the front and rear diffs, the transmission and t-case.

Nissan OM recommends the following:

Front diff- Genuine Nissan Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80w-90 or equivalent conventional (non synthetic)

Transmission- Genuine Nissan Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi 75w-85 or equivalent. If NISSAN MTF if not available API GL-4 75-85 may be used as a temporary replacement however use genuine NISSAN MTF as soon as it is available.

Tcase- Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF. Using Fluid other than NISSAN Matic D will cause deterioration in driveability and transfer durability and may damage the transfer, which is not covered under NISSAN Warranty.

Rear diff- Genuine NISAN differential oil synthetic 75w-140 or API GL-5 synthetic gear oil.

I have no objection to using the factory fluids and most likely will, but what are they? I've read here and on the Frontier forum that Nissan's ATF is essentially Dexron-III. Is it really the same, what's different, would a Dexron-VI or other be better than Nissan's ATF in the tcase?

Same for the transmission- what is Nissan's MTF that is different/better than another 75w-85? I understand not using a GL-5 for the syncros but would something else be better?

They don't seem so picky re the diffs. Any reason not to run a synthetic in the front? If sticking with conventional in the front and synthetic in the rear which brands to use?

Thanks, Matt.

I don't know what you are calling early but I might do tcase and trans at 10k and front and rear differential at 30k.

I would replace the front & rear diffs fluids early, with the brand of your choice. I like Delo synthetic. The trans and TC, I would follow Nissan recommended interval and use OEM fluid. Congrats on your new vehicle

Thanks for the replies, will look at which gear oils to use and report back.

Not sure why the weights listed are recommended, although the Frontiers aren't known for great mileage anyway.

Aside from cost is there any reason NOT to change the fluids early?

Changing the fluids early is a good thing, if you are planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time. if you turn over vehicles often why spend the money.

Originally Posted By: mattri
Thanks for the replies, will look at which gear oils to use and report back.

Not sure why the weights listed are recommended, although the Frontiers aren't known for great mileage anyway.

Aside from cost is there any reason NOT to change the fluids early?
What mileage you changing at or what you calling early.

Good questions should have fleshed this out a little more earlier, my bad.

Plan to use this truck as a dd, with some occasional hunting/camping trips down the road.

At the moment I'm fortunate enough to have a work truck to take home, an older F-150 for the mundane/dirty stuff and wife gets new car every 2 years so we use that when on trips etc.

Had been looking at new(er) trucks for a while and liked that the Frontier has a solid platform in the VQ40DE, has been mechanically the same since 2005, was available in a 6spd etc. With the other vehicles available I'd like to keep as many miles as possible off of it for now, focusing instead on preventative maintenance and doing things that will pay dividends 200k miles down the road.

Truck has appr 1k miles on it now. Drove a break in cycle for the first 350 miles then changed the oil/filter.

Changing oil/filter again this weekend.

Will change oil/filter again at 3k, would like to do diffs, tcase and tranny then as well to set a baseline.

I changed the transmission and rear diff fluids in my Frontier at 7500 miles. The magnets caught a lot. See this post for details: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3812914/2015_Nissan_Frontier,_Rear_axl#Post3812914

I dumped the crankcase factory fill at 1000 miles. The dealer gave me an oil change at 5k. I've been doing 5k since for warranty and got a UOA on some Havoline conventional and one on Pennzoil Platinum which wasn't significantly better. Of course mine is a QR25DE.

Great reply thanks.

"The magnets caught a lot".

That is exactly why I want to do this change early, to get that crud/wear/shavings/etc out of the picture.

I have seriously considered staggering dealership oil changes/maintenance with what I do at home. For example- change oil at dealership at 2500, 7500, 12500, but change oil at home at 5000, 10000, 15000 etc. Best of both worlds, keep the factory paper trail and do changes myself to ensure its properly done, end up with a 2500 OCI.

End game is longevity, would like to see 300k plus. Seems doable, oil changes a small price to pay in the long run.

Here would be my recommendations (I have a 2012 PRO-4X)

Front diff - Amsoil or Redline in API 75W90.

Transmission - Redline MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil or Amsoil MTF

Tcase - Any DexIII/Merc equivalent with a kinematic viscosity of 7.0 cSt@100C .

Rear diff - Amsoil or Redline in API 75W140.

Any of the above are superior to the Nissan OEM fluids, IMHO.

Last edited:
Have the 2015 Nissan Xterra which is basically the same vehicle. I have the automatic transmission and was wondering the same thing about changing those fluids also. Caveman Joe on You Tube has some good Videos in regards to this with his Frontier and Xterra and what he uses.

There's really no reason for 2500 mile OCIs. But if you go that way I would have the dealer do the 5k, 10k, 15k, etc changes so the mileage in the service records corresponds to the maintenance schedule. I just did my 25k oil service and will run the Mobil 1 I installed to the end of warranty at 30k and then to 32,500 miles for a 7.5k OCI. At that point I'll have 25k on the transmission and differential oils and will probably change them and inspect the magnets.

I had a 12 Frontier 6 speed 2wd. I put Amsoil 75w140 in the rear diff, and Amsoil MTG GL4 75w90 in the trans. I changed both at 5,000 miles
I've used Amsoil MTG, and OEM trans fluid in my 04 Frontier I had as well. In both trucks shift quality is about the same. I mainly made the change to Amsoil hoping it was an upgrade as far as protection goes.

Lots of Frontier specific info on what fluids owners are using on there Frontiers and just about anything else regarding the Frontier over on ClubFrontier.com Go to Forums then to Nissan Frontier Forums.

They have a great site and have been asking questions over there as well.

Wanted to post here as to get some more specific information on the actual fluids composition and alternatives/improvements to use.

Still digging/learning, thanks to all for the help!

I think Nissan MTF is great. I have used it for a Chevy Colorado manual where the AC Delco fluid was impossible to get without waiting days, and parts stores had nothing equivalent. The Nissan MTF is one of the more available fluids of this type, as long as you have a Nissan dealer around. Parts stores don't usually carry gear oil weight MTFs any more.

I would not go out of my way to get 80W90 for the front diff. Use whatever you decide on for the rear diff. Synthetic is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back