Recharge An Aerosol Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
With some proper safety measures I'm going to try the first method. I have a can of WD40 that has plenty in it and no air to propel it. I'm going to try it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I do it as needed use safety glasses and gloves . Don't pop the can.

is 80 or 100 pounds about right?
thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
With some proper safety measures I'm going to try the first method. I have a can of WD40 that has plenty in it and no air to propel it. I'm going to try it.

let us know how it goes! thanks

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

let us know how it goes! thanks

Will do. I need a tire valve, next trip to the parts store I'll grab one if I remember.

Better off to punch a hole in the can and drain the WD 40 into a container you can soak things in. If the can is dead (I've got a couple like that) the Butane is gone so it won't present much of a hazard. Chemists will tell us how much different Butane is than compressed air as a propellant. Duplicating the performance of Butane with compressed air might not be easy.

so butane gas is used as the propellant...thanks herrstig

i wonder if butane lighter gas can be used to recharge the can instead of air?

at this point i'm starting to wonder about abandoning the whole idea..lol

If the volume of liquid in the can is 25% of the available volume, and you pump it up to 60 psi, by the time that you empty the can it should be only 45 psi.

I'd do it, but I harvest isobutane from camping cans to make A/C refrigerant.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
so butane gas is used as the propellant...thanks herrstig

i wonder if butane lighter gas can be used to recharge the can instead of air?

Absolutely. Put the can in the freezer and put the butane can in the sun. Pump some liquid butane into the Wd40 can and you're good to go. You can modify one of the lighter refill butane nozzles to make an adapter.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Absolutely. Put the can in the freezer and put the butane can in the sun. Pump some liquid butane into the Wd40 can and you're good to go. You can modify one of the lighter refill butane nozzles to make an adapter.

sweet...all over that. thanks

I called WD40 Customer service when my 1/2 full can lost pressure.
They sent me a coupon for a free 20 ounce can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back