Pennzoil Yellow Bottle Not What It Used To Be ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read here and i also heard that Pennzoil Yellow Bottle is not as good as it used to be and it does not have ultra low Noack anymore either.. What gives??
Anyone know anything more about this?
I have been thinking about going with Mobil 5000 anyway does anyone know if this oil is good stuff i heard good things about it??
Its also usually priced good at wholesalers and Wal Mart.

There's more to a good oil than just NOACK. I'd use PYB over Mobil 5000 any day of the week.

The more i think about it the more i remember that Pennzoil was always a good oil.. The only real reason i changed brands is because of their leaky jugs that don't have the double security seal.. I always liked the oil and i never had any issues with the oil.. I also never had engine problems and one of the vehicles i used pennzoil in was an 83 Oldsmobile custom cruiser 5.0 shop car that went a little over 400,000 miles and the engine still ran well.

I've been using mobil super 5000 with the cheapest oil filter money can buy and it still looks good after 1200 miles of short trips and a few long ones as well. Only reason I see it as slightly better (in terms of cost) than PYB is the Mobil rebate going on. Should cost about 7 bucks for 5 qts after MIR if you get it from Walmart. When my current stash runs out I will probably switch to PYB. VOA's look pretty good on both, PYB is better in some regards such as calcium but MS5K is comparable.

Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
There's more to a good oil than just NOACK. I'd use PYB over Mobil 5000 any day of the week.
Why? I have not seen anything that would suggest MS5K is in anyway inferior to PYB. What have you seen?

You sure ask alot of oil questions for some-one who used to "build engines".

The engine builders I know,all personally know what oils work for certain applications.

+1

Yeah, sure - I build engines too. But oils have changed a great deal since I started out doing that ... So it pays to ask questions just in case some new info comes to light
smile.gif

So PYB was supposed to be getting something like a third of it's mix from GTL overstock just a few months back ... But, maybe SOPUS has now streamlined their production process and the GTL is going where it was originally targeted and the PYB is now back to plane jane base chemistry, if anyone knows?

NOAK is a good indicator of possible inclusion of synthetics in the blend (high temp resistance). If the NOAK is going up, the percentage of synthetics is likely going down ...
frown.gif

razors edge you have no clue... I still go to many seminars and i was vp for 3 years in our association and i can personally say most engine builders are clueless to oil brands that change from time to time and others like myself have favorites and yet others just use whats there. Over 30 years in the engine business and i have questions about oil also although we always use what the original designer says to use because we build them as they were when new.
If you know it all than you are much smarter than i am with your 275 posts.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
razors edge you have no clue... I still go to many seminars and i was vp for 3 years in our association and i can personally say most engine builders are clueless to oil brands and others like myself have favorites and yet others just use whats there. Over 30 years in the engine business and i have questions about oil also.
If you know it all than you are much smarter than i am with your 275 posts.

Post count has nothing to do with engine knowledge,or oil discussions or anything else that is posted on a open message board such as this one.

We share knowledge,experience. What I've seen from you is,redundant questions,rediculous posts about louvers on oil filters,not liking an oil because it doesnt have the safety seal,metal burrs in an oil filter,etc etc.

You've provided no useful information what-so-ever about engines,period.

You're placed on ignore,I'm done with your so called knowledge that you do not have.

Please place me on ignore im honored to be on your ignore list..
Enough said since im on ignore lets see how long i stay on ignore...HeHe

^^^ Lol .... You don't deserve to be placed on ignore. We all have our own opinions, and we're not going to agree on a lot of things. As far as PYB goes, I will continue to use it, along with QSGB and FS. I'm a fan of Shell/SOPUS oils.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
^^^ Lol .... You don't deserve to be placed on ignore. We all have our own opinions, and we're not going to agree on a lot of things. As far as PYB goes, I will continue to use it, along with QSGB and FS. I'm a fan of Shell/SOPUS oils.

How about chevron oils such as havoline and supreme?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd use Mobil 5000 over PYB any day of the week.

01.gif

all day long over here...i like ultra and platinum some but thats as far as i go with pennzoil

I would use either in the right application and have. PYB logs millions of miles. But for those who doubt the MS5k - you might not know someone at the 390k mark trouble free - I do and I'm the one feeling foolish over my too much synthetic hang up.
That and the $22 jug DIY thing - and don't have a good application for HDEO (what I own, not operate)

Originally Posted By: gallydif
^ why would you guys choose ms5k over pyb?

I don't have to worry about sludge and varnish with MS5K.
banana2.gif

PYB is better than it's ever been. I don't know who relayed this information to you, but they're blowing smoke up your behind! Mobil 5000 is great too, it's hard to go wrong with any of the name brand oils today, they're all good. When it comes to conventional oils, PYB is my first choice, followed by VWB and then Mobil 5000.

I love the fact that PYB can be picked up anywhere. Grocery stores, gas stations, parts stores, dollar stores, you name it! It's definitely one of the more convenient oils to use if you're traveling and need to add a quart somewhere along the way. Never have trouble finding it!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Why? I have not seen anything that would suggest MS5K is in anyway inferior to PYB. What have you seen?

I didn't say it was inferior, I said there's more to good oil than just NOACK, and that I'd use PYB over Mobil 5000 any day of the week. "I believe" PYB to be a better product that's all. PYB is in use by a lot more people, is easier to get, has been around as long as I can remember, and has some fantastic UOA reports here along with a much larger fan base.

I used Mobil 5000 w/o issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back