75w90. Which works best when hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this awhile back but it kinda got side tracked. And I'm jus now getting the chance to do the work anyways.

I have to run a gl5 75w90. The transfer case it's going in is subjected to heat from an exhaust pipe that is very very close to it, so the oil is getting extra hot. Between redline or amsoil which handles heat the best or are they close to the same. Also, which product should I go with from the better brand? There are lots of choices in that weight from either brand.

Thanks in advance
Will

Transfercase in a 95 land cruiser. I rerouted the exhaust and now it's very very close to the exhaust. I just want whatever can handle the heat the best.

If bending the pipe away or putting a shield on it was possible I wouldn't be worried about the oil. Unfortunately neither is possible.

I can't run a 110. It has an oil pump and I don't wanna risk the pump failing due to oil that is to thick in the winter before everything gets moving. That's another thing that I wish I could do but can't.
frown.gif

Will

Which redline? Just the 75w90 gl5 or one of the shockproof versions or do I need to use another version that I don't know about.

Originally Posted By: Zukinut
If bending the pipe away or putting a shield on it was possible I wouldn't be worried about the oil. Unfortunately neither is possible.

I can't run a 110. It has an oil pump and I don't wanna risk the pump failing due to oil that is to thick in the winter before everything gets moving. That's another thing that I wish I could do but can't.
frown.gif

Will
in 1995 110 was the old 90 spec 75w in 90 or 110 will pump the same be the least of my worries

Ok, I'll try the 110. My concern was losing a tcase due to poor oiling. These things aren't cheap.

Which redline product should i use? There are so many choices that I can't figure it out.

Will

75W110 GL5 if unsure of the choice call Dave at Red Line and he be more than happy to answer your questions or choices.

A roll of exhaust wrap is a lot cheaper than a transfer case. Or a case of over-expensive gear oil to try to band-aid it.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
A roll of exhaust wrap is a lot cheaper than a transfer case. Or a case of over-expensive gear oil to try to band-aid it.

I believe in the wrap but what makes you think he needs a case of gear oil when it probably takes two Qt's to fill and the gear oil isn't but a few bucks more than any other 75w90 or 110

Not totally comparable but I've found Motul Gear 300 holding to heat better than anything else including Redline with track use. Most gear lubes including Redline only got me 4 track days at best versus Motul that I can get a full year or 15 plus track days.

Header/pipe wrap soaks up oil. ATF lights on fire easily. I'll deal with hot fluid before I deal with a hot cruiser. I've watched several rigs burn because of oil/ grease soaked wrap. I have a Mylar blanket on the rest of the pipe, there is just one section that gets very close to the tcase and the fluid gets hot. Nothing bad has happened after a year with Dino oil but it's time for a change so might as well use something better.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I believe in the wrap but what makes you think he needs a case of gear oil when it probably takes two Qt's to fill and the gear oil isn't but a few bucks more than any other 75w90 or 110

It was a pun on the word "case..." in CASE you didn't get it. :p

Just wanted to say that I ordered the redline 75w110. I'm very impressed.

Thanks for all the help on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back