Low on PAG Oil symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently pulled a vacuum on my car ac the other day (no leaks!!) and refilled the system with the correct amount of refrigerant and am getting cold air. I've been reading online that some oil is lost when pulling a vacuum. I'm curious on what the symptoms would be for low levels of PAG oil. Should I have put an ounce or two back into the system?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Noisy compressor. AZ sells mineral oil injection cartridges-but I'm not sure if they sell a PAG one or not.

They probably sell something compatible with modern R134a systems. Your favorite parts store should have PAG or ester available.

Mineral oil is for older cars with R12.

There's more than one type or spec for PAG oil. Check online sources before you put in the wrong type. I've seen both types on a Big Box auto store shelf, but don't remember who had it.

AAP sells a 1 ounce PAG oil charge can in PAG46 and 100 and 150. The can has one ounce of PAG,one ounce of refrigerant and one ounce of "booster" whatever that is. Cost is $9

Didn't you recover the r134a? The machine will tell you much oil to put back in. You put back in the same amount that came out. Make sure you use the right oil. Mine takes 46 or light oil. The most common is 100 or medium weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back