Slow oil fill after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru Baja 2003 SAE5W-30

The last two times I have performed an oil change, the oil has refilled very slowly through the oil fill neck. It's as if there is a partial blockage somewhere. I have to pour just a little in at a time or it will quickly overflow. The oil drains well enough during the charge.

Any ideas?

Do you have the filter jammed into the hole or using a different funnel You have to let air out so the oil can flow in faster.

Try filling it through the fill hole with the dipstick removed. I remember years ago having a funnel that fit so tight in one of my cars it caused the same problem. I took out the dipstick and had no problem filling the engine with oil.

I had to clean out a bunch of RTV from someone who repaired a leaking valve cover. They put too much on and it squeezed out a plugged the return holes in the head. That was the symptom, slow oil fill.

Originally Posted By: Yup
You guys use funnels? Weak. Talented pourers don't spill.

I presume you do it like this then?

BRyBADe.gif

The funnel may be resting on a flat surface; try lifting up the funnel slightly....

Originally Posted By: Yup
You guys use funnels? Weak. Talented pourers don't spill.

I pour qt containers but not 5L jugs!!

OP, i have to angle my funnel and pour slow.

Last edited:
Well, it's quite a few months between oil changes on this so it took some time to test out your theories.. I thought you were on to somethign about jamming the file tube in and not letting air flow out.. But alas, this is not the case...

I tried filling with the dipstick removes, a fat funnel, holding the funnel up... nothing worked. The fill port just drains super slow. Something IN the engine is at fault. Any ideas? Everything I've seen sounds expensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back