AT installation - any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've installed many manually transmissions. this is my first auto. I'm having some difficulty in getting the torque converter studs to align with the flex plate while also aligning dowel pins.
any tips other than the obvious "keep wrestling with it?"

I did make one mistake - I forgot to mark the proper flex plate holes before installing. (this is a "universal" zero balance flex plate, since we internally balanced the engine; and there are alot of "extra" holes in it. )

351W

So it is a C4 or C6? On both of those when I've installed them and the torque converter is fully seated there is more than enough room to turn the torque converter with the transmission fully bolted in...

Also - check that universal flex plate and make sure the factory converter will fully bolt down without hitting the center... Assuming that is what you are using...

its actually an fmx. already checked the center on the converter. part of the problem is I dont have the transmission on the same angle as the engine - so the TC studs are sometimes dragging on the flexplate when I try to turn it. sometimes I can turn the converter by hand. all of this is very fun with the car only 12" off the ground. lol

I was fairly certain the TC was fully seated but will try again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You need to bolt up the trans solid to the engine before attempting to bolt up the converter.

Can't usually do that on Fords. GM transmissions spoil you in that regard.

To the OP, as mentioned above make absolutely sure the TC is seated all the way. Anytime you get in a bind, stop, make sure the TC is loose and has some play in relation to the flexplate. Nothing wrong with grabbing a couple of longer than stock bolts to screw in the back of the block after you get the transmission close to help guide it.

FMXs are heavy.

Last edited:
I got it in. there was not enough space on the FMX to bolt it up. the TQ studs extended past the flex plate 1/4".
It actually was quite easy once I figured out which holes to use in the flex plate and also got the engine hoist legs out of my way. and once I got the trans on the proper angle, the TQ moved freely. sure wish I had a lift...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punisher
FMXs are heavy.

But they shift quick and firm; often negating the need for a shift kit. Wonderful transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back