2017 Harley Davidson Milwaukee-Eight 107

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumors flying of a new engine from Harley the Milwaukee-Eight 107". Reports of possible 114/117" versions for CVO models. Reportedly 4valves per cylinder and may be announced at the dealer show this coming week...

See: Milwaukee Eight, Online the First Picture

Milwaukee-Eight-HD-1.jpg

Milwaukee-Eight-HD-600x420.jpg

And:
Rumors Tease Launch of New Harley Engine: Milwaukee-Eight 107

rightsidejpg.jpg

This is probably a Freewheeler trike based on the front calipers, brake lines and steering damper.

And finally:

HD Forums: New Engine: "Milwaukee Eight?"

480330d1469708463-new-engine-milwaukee-eight-13887048_1196002253777224_3140035755948321888_n.jpg

480328d1469708463-new-engine-milwaukee-eight-13876319_1196002250443891_1844559431534581147_n.jpg

Could get interesting ...

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Won't this make them runner hotter though?

No one knows, it is supposedly a completely new engine so one would think it would be designed to be "future proof" at least for the foreseeable future.

It also may be twin cooled (in fact at least twin cooled is nearly a given for the CVO models IMO)

This was originally reported by Revzilla and purportedly leaked by an employee of an exhaust manufacturer who was given a prototype to develop exhaust for. The original Revzilla story has been changed to a generic "new engine from Harley?" without the pictures.

Also the EPA documents seem to show 2 V per cylinder, but some Screamin' Eagle® kits supposedly showed up on the P&A site (since removed) that clearly showed 4 valve heads.

The 117 CI kits have been available from Harley and several after market companies for the 110 CI CVO bikes for awhile now. Though not with 4 valve heads, and the kits are pricey.

True, 107' has been available as well...

But those do not look like twin cam heads (BumpHead is already the front runner for nickname) and twin cam pushrod tubes are not offset.

The screen grabs that I saw of the kits clearly said "Milwaukee-Eight powertrain"... the Milwaukee Eight Stage III 107 - 114 kit shows 8 valvesprings and retainers, 4 lifters, and one cam.

Guess we will see next week...

Harley is in a race with Polaris, keeping up with their engines. The new 2016 Springfield came out to compete with the Road King, it does ok against it, now I suppose HD will have to up the anti even though the review calls the Springfield a BEAR to push around plus another 40 LBS of weight. I mean, when will it stop? I guess when the consumer says no more, we arent their yet but I suspect some day the manufacturer who makes a large cruiser with the best power to weight ratio will win and for me that means lighter!

Me, I am getting tired of it, I love my 14 Rushmore Road King and it is plenty for me. Plan on keeping this bike a long time but I always seem to say that.

Im Getting older, I will be looking for an easier bike to push around and handle, sorry but the 14 Road King is the weight limit for me, I wont buy a more heavy bike, starts ruining the experience, what about light and nimble?? Just to me clear, I am fine with the RK weight but that is the limit. We seriously looked at a 16 Road Glide 2 months ago, we like the bike, but forget it, the bulk and weight might be great for cross country trips but for me, no way for everyday fun.

Anyway, I wouldnt mind having the FJR 1300 MAYBE someday if they keep making the big cruisers more heavy and more heavy, gosh, some models are now a half ton!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
This suit that Harley settled, might have shot the virtues of the new and improved motor in the foot.,,

care to explain? I fail to see how settling with the EPA on an aftermarket tuner (ie. H-D version of Powercommander) has any impact on a new engine design, but hey, I could be wrong...

I'm with alarmguy. My 14 Ultra Ltd with the 103 is more than enough to handle. I's just staged 1 and it will jump out from under me. I'm in my 60's and it seems to me that most of these big HD cruisers are purchased by old guys. Do they really want a bigger heavier bike to wrestle around?? When I had a twin cam 88, I wanted to get more power/speed out of it but with this 103 no way.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I'm with alarmguy. My 14 Ultra Ltd with the 103 is more than enough to handle. I's just staged 1 and it will jump out from under me. I'm in my 60's and it seems to me that most of these big HD cruisers are purchased by old guys. Do they really want a bigger heavier bike to wrestle around?? When I had a twin cam 88, I wanted to get more power/speed out of it but with this 103 no way.

Average age of a Harley buyer is around 50 last data I saw.

I don't think this has as much to do with Polaris/Victory/Indian as some claim. Development of any new engine is going to be due to Uncle Sam's regulations more than market demand.

Originally Posted By: Mik
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
This suit that Harley settled, might have shot the virtues of the new and improved motor in the foot.,,

care to explain? I fail to see how settling with the EPA on an aftermarket tuner (ie. H-D version of Powercommander) has any impact on a new engine design, but hey, I could be wrong...
Harley hasn't really been into making performance motors. What they sell is a base platform on which you can build. Hence the Screaming Eagle line of performance products that just happen to be sold by Harley, conveniently thru Harley dealers.Nowadays it's been harder for all mfgrs to be able to build bikes that meet the EPA'S rules,and gives the end user the performance they want straight out of the box. So that being the case Harley probably thought, we'll build this new motor ,then zing the customer for a few hundred clams to make it run right, and everyone will be happy. Instead buyers of the new motor will be stuck with a bad dog with no teeth, thanks to the EPA. It will be just a matter of time before they pass laws that will prevent anyone from selling tuners for any brand of bike. Unless it's documented that it won't be used on the street. Those EPA guys want to breath clean air more then anyone I know.,,,

Last edited:
It is certainly POSSIBLE to build a motorcycle engine that runs properly and passes the EPA requirements...it just seems that many companies just can't be bothered to do so.

If you hit some of the forums there are claims out there that this engine "does not sound like a Harley" and also claims of 90+ hp for the 107 and 100 for the 114.

I'm not sure how a new engine equates to "bigger heavier bike to wrestle around", but agree the 103 is a nice engine...

Last edited:
All the mfgrs do that right now. They build bikes that run and can pass EPA rules. It's just that the heat these bikes give off make it hard for the people that have to ride them, cannot be altered in a way to deal with it. It's not just Harley's that make heat. A byproduct of cooling down the motor is added performance. You will never here anyone say, "it runs too good", after a tuner was installed.,,

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: loneryder

Average age of a Harley buyer is around 50 last data I saw.

I don't think this has as much to do with Polaris/Victory/Indian as some claim. Development of any new engine is going to be due to Uncle Sam's regulations more than market demand.

Based on the average age that would mean a huge number of Harley riders 50 to 70 year old equal the number of riders 18 to 50 years old for an average of 50.
Also, the older riders, more affluent are the ones buying the big cruisers.

You dont need to make an engine larger to meet EPA regulations. Just about every Metric bike on the market has a smaller engine and much of Harleys product line as well.

I also dont know how a larger engine equates with more weight and if it even does when it comes to Harley, all I know is past history these bikes keep getting more heavy to the point that some older riders are turning to the Yamaha vstar 1300. Also, the new 2016 FJR 1300 REALLY looks appealing, power, comfort, electronics, interstate ready for sure, over 6 gallon gas tank, makes this super sport cruiser a lightweight at 650 wet pounds.
(im really liking the thought but never actually looked at one)

The only concern I had was seeing the new Springfield with its large engine coming out another 40 lbs heavy then the Road King.

I could be wrong on this next statement but I did read the new Rushmore liquid cooled bikes add another 100 lbs in weight? All I am saying is some smart manufacturer will realize their is a market for an aging population that still wants the power and comfort of the large cruiser in a lighter more nimble package. Its completely doable, even a modest 10% weight reduction from current levels should be possible without much sacrifice in power, if any at all. Then hold the line! I do assume it would be more costly (aluminum frame maybe a replacement for the vtwin etc)

Ok, im just rambling on :eek:) Its also quite possible I might the only one buying such a bike ... unless ... FJR 1300.

Last edited:
No one said making the engine larger was to meet emissions regulations. However, I did imply that changing the architecture of the motor is dictated by the upcoming emissions standards.

As I said...I think the changes in the motorcycle and automotive world are being driven as much by big brother as by the average consumer.

When the EPA regs finally force Harley to go totally liquid cooled, and it will happen, it will be a sad day in Mudville. But, that's progress
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back