Do you tip pregnant waitress more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tip based on service , genuine service. If i get good service throughout the meal i tip well. What i hate is poor service, and suddenly making sure my glass is filled , while giving me the ticket. I tip well , pregnant or not if i get good service, or if i think the waitreses/waiter is doing the best they can. Sometimes they have too many tables if a coworker called out and are really busting their rear to keep up. I usually see how many tables they have.
For good service i never tip less than 20% or a minimum of $5 at a small local counter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I tip based on service , genuine service. If i get good service throughout the meal i tip well. What i hate is poor service, and suddenly making sure my glass is filled , while giving my the ticket. I tip well , pregnant or not if i get good service, or if i think the waitreses/waiter is doing the best they can. Sometimes they have too many tables if a coworker called out and are really busting their rear to keep up. I usually see how many tables they have.
For good service i never tip less that 20% or a minimum of $5 at a small local counter.

I used to get [censored] service when it was just me that the waitress waited on, then I realized that they probably aren't thrilled when I rack up a whopping $9.78 bill. lol Now I have a $4.00 minimum and I don't seem to get poor service anymore. I remember one time an older woman was serving me and I could tell she was really trying and making a good effort to everyone including me, I gave her 4 bucks on an $8 dollar meal and she was thrilled. She even thanked me when I paid her and was very sincere about it.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Gotta say, I hope the "tipping" thing never takes off here. The waitress is already getting paid by her employer to serve the customers, I see no need to pay her extra.

No tipping here either. She's on minimum wage, same as the girl on the check out or pumping gas...or my daughters, one in retail and another pedalling around town delivering mail. I'd love it if someone gave my daughter a tip on a cold wet day for delivering a bill, but it doesn't happen here.

The etiquette in tipping is explained here. It's a little confusing to those of us who haven't grown up with it, but just a way of life for Americans I suppose.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Sorry, link doesn't appear to work.

Last edited:
We tipped when we were there, as is custom and practice.

But I still have an issue with the process where A kid at Maccas doesn't have the same access as at another style eatery.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Doog
I don't feel sorry for pregnant women.....

lol. me neither.

Me either.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: hpb
Gotta say, I hope the "tipping" thing never takes off here. The waitress is already getting paid by her employer to serve the customers, I see no need to pay her extra.

No tipping here either. She's on minimum wage, same as the girl on the check out or pumping gas...or my daughters, one in retail and another pedalling around town delivering mail. I'd love it if someone gave my daughter a tip on a cold wet day for delivering a bill, but it doesn't happen here.
Waitresses are NOT on standard minimum wage.

Waitresses are paid around $2-$3 an hour often. It's different for waitresses.

I was at a restaurant a few years ago with a co-worker, and he was picking up the tab as a thank you for my catching a mistake of his, before it became a problem. Anyway, he leaves a larger tip for our Waitress that he apparently assumed was pregnant. She thanked us for his generosity, and he says spend it on the soon-to-be little one. She says: "But I'm not pregnant"...

Anyway, even though we're no longer co-workers, we're still in the same profession. I still give him grief whenever I see him today.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ammolab
No 1 advise on the waitress boards is: "Wear a pregnancy prosthesis available at your local costume store for bigger tips"!

LOL

My tip is based on service only.

1) UncleDave said, "My wife does. "

It's a proven fact women tip other women better than average. A pregnant woman's tip could be looked at as a "baby gift" one stranger to another.
I actually have more problem with the boss being generous with someone else's money than the tip itself.

2) I find it amazing that the conversation about tipping is still going around. I fully understand having to explain anything to someone who comes from a country/culture where something doesn't exist but the concept, while potentially clumsy, should be well within our brain's capacity.

3) Here's one: In Germany, where the service charge is included (like lotsa other places) the locals can tip a tiny bit, often taking the paper and leaving the coins of their change.

4) What bothers me is that the perennial conversation overtipping seldom includes the line, "Servers get a lowered rate of pay in this land and the tip fills a gap. It's a fragile system fraught with confusion. Make the best of it and link your tip to service."

If a waiter/ waitress makes less than minimum wage for their time, don't they get a minimum wage pay?

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I was at a restaurant a few years ago with a co-worker, and he was picking up the tab as a thank you for my catching a mistake of his, before it became a problem. Anyway, he leaves a larger tip for our Waitress that he apparently assumed was pregnant. She thanked us for his generosity, and he says spend it on the soon-to-be little one. She says: "But I'm not pregnant"...

Anyway, even though we're no longer co-workers, we're still in the same profession. I still give him grief whenever I see him today.
crackmeup2.gif

LOL.

"The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate."

And hopefully nobody reading this is the kind of *****ole that leaves a prayer card for a tip.
(And yes some people do this, especially on a busy Sunday.)
If you feel the need to use a prayer card as currency, try using it to pay your electric bill or mortgage.
It won't work for you, and it won't work for waitstaff.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Nope. Size of my tip depends on the type of service they provide. No one gets a special sympathy tip.

Pretty much this. However, I would add the caveat that I would be more understanding of slow service or her being a little cranky if she was pregnant. I would probably excuse those things and give a regular tip( 10-15% )where as if a non pregnant women provided that service she would get a reduced or no tip.

I didn't get her pregnant so why should it cost me? I generally tip pretty good though. If the service is at least good I usually tip 20%. IF it is exceptional I tip 25%. My Mom waitressed through college and told me about the bums who left pennies when she busted her butt serving them so I have always tipped a little extra for those working hard at it. I have no shame leaving no tip or very little if the service is bad though. I also will comment to the manager as to why I left extra( good service )or reduced/no tip( bad service )as well.

I am sorry though, her "condition" is not my concern.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back