Oil filter ratings/ rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is obviously not totally scientific but I am curious to how everyone would rank them and possibly why. So, here it goes for me. Using a 1-10 scale.

My "Super 7" oil filters

#1 Fram Ultra = 10. This is due to its quality construction, very high efficiency, and return of value to the consumer. Unbeatable in every category and can be found at a more than reasonable price.

#2 Royal Purple= 9.8. Well this filter is built like a tank and has very good efficiency. Price is a downside. But it is tough as they come.

#3 Amsoil Ea0= 9.6. Again only problem here is price point. But it does perform at quite a high level.

#4 Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters= 9.5. Very high performance filter, with quality build construction. Of course prices while not on sale are a bit high.

#5 Fram Tough Guard= 9.4. For some people this could easily be ranked higher. The efficiency is great, silicon ADBV, and good price makes it hard to beat. If this were #1 for some people it's easy to see why.

#6 Wix= 9.25. Very tough construction, good price and solid efficiency make this a great choice. Even without a numerical mileage rating this filter is strong enough to hold up well just like the other high end filters.

#7 Fram Extra Guard= 9.0. The ol orange can of today is not the same as it was "back in the day". With a bit of extra filter media added along with better fiber construction make the "ocod" capable of going well past the advertised distance on their packaging.

There are some others that are not on my list just yet.. I have run a couple of the Purolators which have been cut down and looked good. But, I have to see more of them performing well to get them into my list. Right now I have a Purolator Pureone on my Altima 14612. I will cut and open the Purolator Pureone that just came off my car soon enough. My current filter collection contains a Mobil 1 EP filter and a Wix that will see action next.

Last edited:
The question we should ask but probably will never be answered is will we see a benefit using any of premium filters? I know an engine will last a long time with any oil filter that doesn't fail but engine life is very, very short with poor air filtration.

Well now that you mention that CT8... I agree with your thinking here to a degree. I forgot to add that the air filter is the most important filter thought to my original post. So, yeah the air filter is the most important here. I have a Purolator Pureone air filter on my car right now. It's the only one I could find that was pre oiled like the OEM ones are. Seems like it has very good construction and I am pleased with it so far.

Last edited:
Solid list, I agree with your reviews.

I don't see the value in saving just a couple dollars going with a cheap filter.

Is that $4 saved by going with a cheap filter REALLY going to impact your life? $8.97 for a Fram Ultra really isn't a big deal. So I say go big or go home.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I don't see the value in saving just a couple dollars going with a cheap filter.

Is that $4 saved by going with a cheap filter REALLY going to impact your life? $8.97 for a Fram Ultra really isn't a big deal. So I say go big or go home.

Yea but, that extra $4 you spent on the oil filter isn't going to have any impact on the engine either. I cheap out on my oil filters. $2 Prontos. Not because I'm trying to save money, but because I know that a $9 Fram Ultra isn't going to do anything that the Pronto can't.

$2 is hard to overcome but with the Ultra if it got stuck in place for 20K I wouldn't sweat it- but you cant say that for the Pronto. Plus the $8-$9 Ultra can be had without the grippy surface for $6 post paid and in theory would handle 3 OCI- so the Pronto still comes up short especially if you have a dreadful filter location that's hard to get to. but it all boils down to what you like.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Yea but, that extra $4 you spent on the oil filter isn't going to have any impact on the engine either. I cheap out on my oil filters. $2 Prontos. Not because I'm trying to save money, but because I know that a $9 Fram Ultra isn't going to do anything that the Pronto can't.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The oil filter you use isn't nearly as important as the oil you use.

Right! It's ALL ABOUT the additive package and base stocks!!!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Do tell how base stocks and additives will make a difference to my engines. I've never seen any data showing a benefit between oils that meet spec and changed at recommended OCI.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
$2 is hard to overcome but with the Ultra if it got stuck in place for 20K I wouldn't sweat it- but you cant say that for the Pronto. Plus the $8-$9 Ultra can be had without the grippy surface for $6 post paid and in theory would handle 3 OCI- so the Pronto still comes up short especially if you have a dreadful filter location that's hard to get to. but it all boils down to what you like.

You might see a benefit of the more expensive filters if you want to push them out to 20k mile changes but for a 5k or 10k change, what benefit do the expensive filters actually provide beside some peace of mind to some people?

I never thought I'd see someone rate an OCOD a 9 out of 10 on BITOG.
Where does this ranking put the new ST filters available at WM for under $3?

My own ranking goes like this.

The best spin on manufactured today - is the dual stage stacked disk Cummins Stratapore Venturi. Only available for my diesel but if I could run one on an auto I would. This filter has the advantage of a synthetic full flow section and a depth bypass filter section that is the equivalent a full on but small external bypass.

For autos my list is

1. Microgreen - Dual stage /PTFE Microdisk bypass / the PTFE disks holds a much smaller amount of contaminants than the stacked disk.

(this filter is quite controversial as the manufacturer doesn't fully disclose data the way guys here insist on seeing it- after hours of my own research on it looking up the PTFE media I've come to the conclusion it delivers exactly as promised and its the ONLY dual stage spin on available today for gasoline autos)

2. Fram Ultra- Single stage/ inexpensive easy to find on shelves / thin can works better with magnet

3. Royal Purple - Single stage over Amsoil because of easier to find.

4. Amsoil - Single stage- identical performance to RP harder to get typically more expensive

( in an unprotected offroad situation FU ends up #4 bottom of this list because the thin can would be easier to puncture with a stray rock)

5. M1 Single stage

6. Napa Platinum / Wix Single stage

7. Napa Gold/ Wix Single stage - excellent compromise for high performance apps that run non bypass configurations.

Baldwin & Donaldson make very high quality (top 3) filters but are much harder to find in auto stores truck parts diff story.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Do tell how base stocks and additives will make a difference to my engines. I've never seen any data showing a benefit between oils that meet spec and changed at recommended OCI.

I see you want to be a internet warrior. I don't give a [censored] about YOUR engines. Not very smart running a premium oil and not extending OCI's if not running severe condiditons. That is the whole point, I will tell you that running a high add pack and good base stocks(synthetic) in OPE has benefits, I am not going to dig up the info, you will have to figure it out for yourself. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

I see you want to be a internet warrior. I don't give a [censored] about YOUR engines. Not very smart running a premium oil and not extending OCI's if not running severe condiditons. That is the whole point, I will tell you that running a high add pack and good base stocks(synthetic) in OPE has benefits, I am not going to dig up the info, you will have to figure it out for yourself. Good luck with that.

Does Internet warrior mean to question people's opinions and their bro science? You're voicing your opinion without any data to back it up. You're the one that said base stocks and additives matter. When did we start talking about extended OCI? Are you moving the goalposts? I'm asking you to support your opinion with data. You decline and defer and tell me it's my responsibility to find data to support your statement. That tells me all I need know.

Quote:

You might see a benefit of the more expensive filters if you want to push them out to 20k mile changes but for a 5k or 10k change, what benefit do the expensive filters actually provide beside some peace of mind to some people

For one if its a Purolator or a MC 820 flavor you're better off paying up even for a 5K run let alone a 10k run.

How do you know that? It's no more valid than someone saying they use a high efficiency filter because they know it does give you better protection than a $2 filter.

I love all this EXPERT advice
thankyou2.gif

I believe that ZeeOSix is one of the most knowledgeable members on here. If I need advice, he is one of the members I go to for that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back