Do you tip pregnant waitress more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to BBQ lunch with my boss and some coworkers, I noticed our waitress was pregnant. My boss pays for lunch and tips our waitress 35%. Waitress tells my boss they made a mistake... boss says yeah, make the tip 40%.

Do you tip extra for a pregnant waitress (knowing newborn expenses) ?

Nope. Size of my tip depends on the type of service they provide. No one gets a special sympathy tip.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Yes, probably an extra 5-10% but, not 40%. Ed

This.

I tip considering service and time spent at the table. I had the table last week for over an hour at lunch time so I left a +30% tip Great service through out the Time spent.

How much was the bill and how much money are we talking about?

That she even questioned the accuracy of the tip tells you all you need to know.

i usually tip based on service.
Pregnant or not.
Service is what makes them money on the other hand i was in a diner yesterday about midnight and saw this woman in her mid to late 70's doing her best and i felt really bad i thought that could be my Mother and i was thankful my mother did not have to do that. She got a very good tip.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
How much was the bill and how much money are we talking about?

That she even questioned the accuracy of the tip tells you all you need to know.

Bill was approx $200. Boss pays with corporate credit card when they have a business lunch. Waitress was thankful for the tip, looked like she can only work another month before having to go maternity leave.

Service was good and BBQ delicious...

I have never ran into this before, but yes! If I saw that my waitress was expecting Id be glad to tip a little extra.

Gotta say, I hope the "tipping" thing never takes off here. The waitress is already getting paid by her employer to serve the customers, I see no need to pay her extra.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Went to BBQ lunch with my boss and some coworkers, I noticed our waitress was pregnant. My boss pays for lunch and tips our waitress 35%. Waitress tells my boss they made a mistake... boss says yeah, make the tip 40%.

Do you tip extra for a pregnant waitress (knowing newborn expenses) ?

My wife does.

I dont.

Just because someone decided to wriggle upstream and spawn doesn't change the tip rules.

Ive been told I am now a grumpy old man. (at 49 )

UD

Originally Posted By: hpb
Gotta say, I hope the "tipping" thing never takes off here. The waitress is already getting paid by her employer to serve the customers, I see no need to pay her extra.

I have to say,I agree with this. I don't believe in tipping,although I do tip,and I tip very well if the service is extraordinary (I always tip more than the "recommended" 15%). What started the whole tipping thing anyway? I guess waitstaff work on "commission" per se? But still,we don't tip our cashier that rings us up at Walmart,I didn't tip the Autozone guy tonight when I dropped off my used oil,I didn't tip the service station clerk when I filled up my work truck with gas today,I don't tip my mail lady,I don't tip the sellers I buy from on Ebay,I don't tip my bank teller,etc. How can employers get away with paying certain types of employees $1-$2 an hr and "hope" customers will tip them,because they're not required to tip them.

As to a chick that's knocked up,no extra $ from me. She'll get the same tip as the male waiter would. It'd be according to the quality of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back