EuroLub rolled through the shop... seems shady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So being one of the big BMW indies in the area gets you a lot of sales pitches, telemarketers, and door to door salesman on a weekly basis. I currently have one that is literally trying to push a 55 gallon drum of this Euro Lub down our throat. The website looks like it was a cut and paste template of some prefab website and stock photos of some professsional looking German offices and sales reps. He will flip a notebook full of "approvals" but never lets me get pictures of them or gives me copies. After wasting 15 minutes of our time and trying to make friends, he desperately leaves a couple of 5 liter jugs for us to test out.

Would love to see everyone's opinion on this. It smells like overpriced "approved synthetic oil." The fact that I can find jack squat about this oil online only proves my point further.

Here is a front and rear picture of the jug.

What is the pricing like?

It does carry several approvals, and it's likely no better or worse than similar offerings. As a shop, the primary benefit may be that it's an obscure brand that looks/sounds unquestionably German, which my convince some customers that it's worth a premium over more common oils here in the US.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Some of the foreign companies do have a much different look to their branding and websites than is common in NA.
http://www.eurolub.com/en/ looks pretty legit though as someone has put a ton of work into it atleast.

Clicked on the website and then on the 'Contact' button. The 'Disposition Export' guy (a bit androgynous to my eyes!) looks like he's only just left school so I might give this outfit a pass.

It doesn't seem shady if he's leaving a few jugs/samples to try out. If I thought someone was shady they wouldn't be leaving anything behind. I do like saying "no" and see how they react. Are they now sarcastic and let their true colors show or do they handle the rejection professionally and follow up down the road. I recently dropped of an Oreck vacuum for free annual service for my parents and the guy was a bleep when I turned down some upsells. Now I don't want to buy anything there no matter how good the deal is. Plus nothing has price tags on it, so he could make up any price it seems.

I'd request that I'lf they want your business, you want to do a Blackstone analysis of the Virgin oil they are pushing against a virgin sample of the most popular oil you are using now.

Then after the specified OCI, You send out both samples to Blackstone and they pay for the four tests.

You'll have the data to make a proper decision/recommendation for your customers based on a third party with the proper credentials.

They can also use those tests for all of their sales pitches and they can use you for a reference if you think their oil is a good alternative.

You'd be removing any guesswork, and the test numbers would make the decision for you. Easy to say no if Blackstone says no.

Last edited:
229.52 is hard to find on a shelf- thats interesting.

Usually only 1 mix of almost everyones line is 229.52 compliant.

UD

They tested this as an inexpensive oil in Germany using Castrol edge as a reference oil, the meeting VW spec is genuine and it is recommendable but nothing great, its a mid quality grade oil.

HA! This Oil make it over the ocean?
laugh.gif

The headquarters are located near by me, but theres no raffinerie. They get the oil from an other company and fill there own jugs.
But, as we all now, this must not be bad. And if it says made in Germany, this must be true. If i should guess: Maybe it´s Fuchs or Addinol that produce it for them.

My local car parts shop cary it. This shop carrys MOTUL as high end oil, SHELL as average brand and this EUROLUB as the budget brand.
I see it sometimes here in the shops / Gas stations around, it´s not uncommon here.
The company dont andvertise in Magazines, dont sponsor racing teams, so it´s cheap, but it has a lot of (good enough for me) approvals.

I use the 5W-40 Hydrocracked Group III
http://www.eurolub.com/de/motorenoele.html#eurolub-motrorol-synt-sae-5w-40_ext
in my 1995 VW Golf and cant complain, but i dont have any UOA / VOA either.

so, nothing special, nothing great, but sure good average quality.

Last edited:
the oil finder looks exactly like the one on Fuchs website, I see they have an atf as well, seeing that it says it meets a whole bunch of different specs is a bit weird like 3309, dex6, lt71141, atf 4, mercon lv. I will keep filling my Audi with Ravenol 4/5HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back