Strange braking off highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Escalade 136k. Last brake job unknown. Pads getting low but still have life left.

It feels like warped rotors except the braking power seems to come and go. As I approach a stop it grips, gets loose. Grips, gets loose. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Are those the front pads or rears or both?

I would get the brakes done ASAP unless you wanna test your airbags as you possibly rear end someone.

Pads could be OK thickness wise, but not have the stopping ability you need.

I'm not sure what that term is "glazing"? Don't take any chances.

Last edited:
Does the gripping and getting loose come and go with the rotation of the wheels?
Or is it every few seconds and not consistent?

Last edited:
Classic symptoms of uneven pad deposits on the rotors from pads getting hot and being held against the rotors at a stoplight. Moderately sand the rotors to remove the pad material or have them turned or replaced.

Originally Posted By: Ojustracing
Does it do it about 5mph or less. Like just before you stop?? If it does I would suspect a bad front wheel speed sensor.

Yes that's when its most noticeable. Not always, just certain conditions.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Does the gripping and getting loose come and go with the rotation of the wheels?
Or is it every few seconds and not consistent?

Yes as the wheel rotates. Feels as if the rotors are warped at highway speeds. but approaching a light its a surging sensation with every rotation. Like momentary brake loss

That definitely could be after what has been a very hot summer with extreme drought in Northern Massachusetts.

If its at or about 5mph suspect front wheel speed sensors. Very common. Normally in the rust belt I replace the Wheel bearings. What happens is the wheel speed signal drops out and the truck thinks the wheel just locked up activating the ABS system. Some vehicles will do this every time. Some very random. The truck doesn't want to stop and you can feel the pedal pulse when it happens.

There was a bulletin about the speed sensors [censored] out. Don't you have to replace the hub to replace the speed sensor (or can it be removed/replaced?)

Capital yes you can get just the sensor. But make sure you way the cost vs reward. Due to living in the rust belt. I most of the time recommended the wheel bearing assembly which comes with the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back