Turbo lag normal on Cruzes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try a 2014 Camry, I love mine. The 4 banger goes 85 on texas toll roads without complaint and flys like a couch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Obviously you didn't drive the car I drove. It fell flat on it's face when you tried to accelerate. It had plenty of power once you start going though.

Do some googling and you'll see this is exactly that hot weather complaint. I step up to 89 or rarely 91 in really hot weather. Switching to a different plug can help.

This is my only real gripe about the car other than the small back seat. Changing the plugs recently Made a significant improvement for me.

Your complaint about the steering being touchy may also be because you're comparing the steering of a much newer vehicle compared to your aged, high-mileage car. They're surely going to feel different.

Overall, this car has significantly better driving dynamics than many of its competitors if you do a side-by-side comparison. I drove a manual Elantra, for example, when shopping for my Cruze and the throttle, clutch and other driving dynamics pale compared to the Cruze

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Obviously you didn't drive the car I drove. It fell flat on it's face when you tried to accelerate. It had plenty of power once you start going though.

Do some googling and you'll see this is exactly that hot weather complaint. I step up to 89 or rarely 91 in really hot weather. Switching to a different plug can help.

Your complaint about the steering being touchy may also be because you're comparing the steering of a much newer vehicle compared to your aged, high-mileage car. They're surely going to feel different.
Actually my Camry drives like new, steering is tight. And I've put a lot of miles on a 2013 VW Beetle TDI, it's steering is fine.

I think my complaint about it is the electronic steering.

Nick, have you considered a current generation Jetta? You could get one for the same price as a Cruze, maybe even less! They look more "grown up" than the Cruze, have more interior space, get great MPG, and certainly more responsive than what you describe in the Cruze (with the 1.8T anyway). I know you had bad luck with your previous ride and your Aunts Beetle, but the current gen Jetta seems to be fairing well reliability wise.

Actually my Camry drives like new, steering is tight. And I've put a lot of miles on a 2013 VW Beetle TDI, it's steering is fine.

I have driven GM's with electric steering, its awful. It had ZERO feedback and was incredibly light, which is not a good thing in my book.

As I mentioned before, the Cruze steering is light. Other than that it's ok. Not as good as the VW we own, but not as bad as some here are making them out.

I'm glad you like your Camry. That's all well and good. But clearly it doesn't drive "like new" with that age and mileage.

The Cruze steering is lighter than I'd like, but I've never felt it was "all over the place." It's not as good as the electric steering in our VW, but it's fine.

In your case I'd guess it's simply getting used to some differencws between the Cruze and your daily driver Camry.

Keep the Camry as long as you can....
when it's literally falling apart buy another one with no rust and 100K miles for dirt cheap then drive it another 200K. Put the money you saved into a Roth IRA ... thank me later

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
when it's literally falling apart buy another one with no rust and 100K miles for dirt cheap then drive it another 200K. Put the money you saved into a Roth IRA ... thank me later

Yep. +1

Or...buy a used Camry with 50-60k miles on it, you will still save tons compared to new and will last you forever. I bought my corolla with 55-60k miles and doubled it..still drives great and I believe the camry would do even better. Last time I was in a Cruze in passenger seat my head was touching the roof (2013 or 2014 model?) I am 6ft 6 but the cruze was cramped and lag it did..1.4 turbo with manual trans. I know a few people here have them and like them, but it wasnt for me. Guy who owned it seemed to like it. I think Toyota's are far superior in how their cars are laid out and easy to work on, but they wont win for style or power (fun).

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Nick, have you considered a current generation Jetta? You could get one for the same price as a Cruze, maybe even less! They look more "grown up" than the Cruze, have more interior space, get great MPG, and certainly more responsive than what you describe in the Cruze (with the 1.8T anyway). I know you had bad luck with your previous ride and your Aunts Beetle, but the current gen Jetta seems to be fairing well reliability wise.
Sorry Greg, but I will never own another VW for as long as I live. My 2004 was absolutely awful and my aunt's 2013 has been an absolute nightmare. It is being bought back by VW November 1.

My bank account would look a lot nicer if that 2004 VW didn't even happen.

Run the mid grade in summer, no money in that tiny tank. I'm 6-1' - for sure the limit.
(don't be 6-6' and buy a Cruze)They have some lag, and it's a small turbo.
I don't agree with several other comments and walk past other cars to grab a 2016 at rental lot.
They sound quieter than some other makes that size - and when compared to my 2013

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Yep. +1

Or...buy a used Camry with 50-60k miles on it, you will still save tons compared to new and will last you forever. I bought my corolla with 55-60k miles and doubled it..still drives great and I believe the camry would do even better. Last time I was in a Cruze in passenger seat my head was touching the roof (2013 or 2014 model?) I am 6ft 6 but the cruze was cramped and lag it did..1.4 turbo with manual trans. I know a few people here have them and like them, but it wasnt for me. Guy who owned it seemed to like it. I think Toyota's are far superior in how their cars are laid out and easy to work on, but they wont win for style or power (fun).

used Toyota's tend to be bad value for the money. They don't depreciate very well. Might as well buy new.

They bumped the price on the car when they saw your trade-in? That's shady right there. I get their ploy and all. Oh well--they wasted your time, you wasted theirs in return, and in the end you got to try something out.

EPS,
I have it in the 2015 Turbo Malibu and the Caprice. The Caprice is different then the Malibu.
It has a better feel. The Malibu is fine, but I like the Caprice's better.
The Malibu use the 2.0 LTG 259HP 295 ft/lbs of torque motor. I like it, lag is pretty minimal.

I will also say the computer might need a slight relearn...Makes a difference when I drive the Malibu for awhile vs when the wife drives.
smile.gif

Is that Caprice an interceptor ?
Rode in them around Melbourne - then spotted one similar back in Texas with lights on roof.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Is that Caprice an interceptor ?
Rode in them around Melbourne - then spotted one similar back in Texas with lights on roof.

It certainly is
smile.gif

Never saw police service. I got it 12,000 miles on it. Dealership picked up at a GM auction with 3000 miles on it. All the wiring is there for police stuff, none was ever installed.

6.0/6L80E 355HP 400FT/LBS of torque.

No lag.
smile.gif
Has been my favorite car to date.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Sort of a short review of my experience test driving a Certified used 2014 Cruze 1.4L turbo yesterday. I didn't like it. The turbo lag was absolutely awful, and this is coming from someone who had a TDI! I know turbo lag, but this was just plain bad. Accelerating from a light was either extremely slow, or it was really zooming along. There was no in-between. Massive delays between pushing the gas pedal and the car actually accelerating. I didn't care for the steering on the freeway either, it was kind of all over the place. Had brand new tires on it too. Electronic power steering? Braking was decent, visibility out the mirrors wasn't so good. It had TONS of legroom up front, I'm 6'2" and I had to scoot the seat way up. Legroom in the back seat was almost non-existent. Trunk was really small. What also drove me nuts was when on the highway if I wanted to pass, it shifting down into 5th gear did absolutely nothing. It had to jump down into 4th gear for it to make any power which was decent when you got on the throttle. A/C was not very good either. Didn't blow hard enough and was warm when you weren't moving. Cooled off decently on the freeway. The salesman said everybody complains about the A/C performance on the Cruze. The dealer I went to has a big "Cash for Clunkers" deal going where it's $4,000 minimum for trade in for any car. Once they saw my Camry they literally upped the price on the Cruze by $5,000. I figured I might get a nicer car if they gave me a good deal on trade in. I'll just happily drive my Camry and probably buy a brand new car in a year or two with cash and just avoid the hassle of used car buying and the used car salesman at dealerships.

Massive lag.....i call bull. Steering wandering.....I call bull. Trunk is really small.....I call bull, it's actually 15 cubic feet. Visibility is bad.....I call bull. My Cruze is nothing like you describe. Are you sure it wasn't a Toyota Corolla?

+1. My experience with Cruze is excellent. One of the best small vehicles bar none.

My Saab had no practical turbo lag. My 135i has no practical turbo lag. I highly doubt the 1.4 does.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My Saab had no practical turbo lag. My 135i has no practical turbo lag. I highly doubt the 1.4 does.

I would imagine the smaller the engine, the more noticeable turbo lag because the turbo accounts for a larger % of the engine's power increase. That 1.4T GM engine has 153 hp (for 2016). What would it have without a turbo? 100 hp maybe? So about 35% of it comes from turbocharging. It's probably an even higher percentage when you look at torque. Without a turbo, a 1.4 engine feels gutless in a 3,000 lb vehicle, especially at lower rpms where there isn't enough exhaust gases to get the turbo going.

Compare that to your BMW. Prior to introducing turbo, BMW used to get about 250-270 hp out of their 3.0 liter I6 engine. The turbo one has what, 300 hp? So that's a much smaller % increase and lesser reliance on turbo, hence less noticeable turbo lag, IMO.

Yes, I agree. Plus a 2010-2011 Camry has the same powertrain as the current generation. My dad has had Camrys ever since 1992 and that powertrain is leaps and bounds better than the previous ones. A 2012 will get you into the current generation.

At least test drive one and see what you think. The SE will give you larger wheels and a sport suspension. The Cruze is much more fun darting around town in. The Camry is better on the hwy and feels bigger.

As I mentioned before, the Cruze steering is light. Other than that it's ok. Not as good as the VW we own, but not as bad as some here are making them out.

Agreed the steering is on the light side. Agreed that it's perfectly fine for daily driver duty. There isn't much feedback from the road surface. It's enough to discern if there's traction and how much, though.

Tires make a giant difference on this car in how the steering feels. Going from the V-rated all-seasons to the R-rated snow tires I have is quite a difference. The higher speed rated all-seasons make the car feel a lot lighter on its feet than the snow tires. Mine responds to steering input rapidly with its all-seasons, less rapidly with the snow tires. It doesn't need a lot of input to make minor course corrections. It's not touchy by any means, though. It keeps course very well at high speed.

Keep in mind that GM was equipping some versions of the last-gen Cruze with S speed rating tires. If they had 16" wheels, they likely had S speed rating tires from the factory. That would definitely make the steering dull and lifeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back