Mens Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 1967 Bulova Accutron 214 tuning fork watch off Ebay back in March. An older brother had one in the mid sixties and I have wanted one for 50 years. It came with the original box, period Kreisler band, and battery compartment tool. I love the Huuummm of the old 214 Accutrons. It's only accurate to within about 15 seconds a week, but it's fun having such a unique inexpensive old watch. My daily go to watch is my 15 year old $20 quartz Timex Expedition. My routine when I leave the house is wallet, watch and pocket knife. I don't feel right leaving without any of the three...!

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I like watches and have several, but they are all inexpensive. My pet peave is why are all these watches you see now as big as the clock on my wall? They are just plain ugly that big.I remember many years ago my dad telling me thinner watches were more expensive because it`s harder to make a thin watch than a fat watch. Not only are the watches too fat but they are too huge a diameter also. So what`s your thought on watches? Do you have good taste in watches like me :) or do you like these huge fat wall clocks on your wrist ?

It's fashion in a very visible way. This way, when you wear a smaller watch, it will be immediately obvious to others that you are not fashionable. So you have to buy one that is fashionable.

In a few years, when the fashion changes, anyone with a large watch will stick out as an unfashionable person and will have to buy whatever is fashionable at that time.

Quote:

Last year I got the Citizen Men's JY0040-59L Blue Angels Skyhawk A-T Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch as my 15 year service gift.

At 48mm, it's a bit large, but I'm a bigger guy, so I can pull it off.

I do like the world time and radio controlled setting features. If I travel, I tell it a city in the timezone and the hands sweep to the correct time.

I can't stand those hockey puck sized watches. They look ridiculous to me, like something a clown would wear. I'm a fairly big guy and I wear a 44mm Citizen Eco-Drive, which is about the max size for me.

thumbsup2.gif

mwtUJLQ.jpg

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Quote:

Last year I got the Citizen Men's JY0040-59L Blue Angels Skyhawk A-T Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch as my 15 year service gift.

At 48mm, it's a bit large, but I'm a bigger guy, so I can pull it off.

I do like the world time and radio controlled setting features. If I travel, I tell it a city in the timezone and the hands sweep to the correct time.

The watch I've had the best luck with,is the G-Shock.

I'm planning on picking up a all wooden-made watch in the near future.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I bought a 1967 Bulova Accutron 214 tuning fork watch off Ebay back in March. An older brother had one in the mid sixties and I have wanted one for 50 years. It came with the original box, period Kreisler band, and battery compartment tool. I love the Huuummm of the old 214 Accutrons. It's only accurate to within about 15 seconds a week, but it's fun having such a unique inexpensive old watch. My daily go to watch is my 15 year old $20 quartz Timex Expedition. My routine when I leave the house is wallet, watch and pocket knife. I don't feel right leaving without any of the three...!

My dad has an old Accutron where you can see the internal parts. He was wearing it everyday for a while. I remember it went through batteries a lot faster than a regular Quartz watch!

Anyone here have a "smart watch" of any sort?

I've got an Apple Watch I'm pretty happy with. I've worn it the longest of any watch I've had. Usually I will buy a watch, wear it a month or two and eventually neglect to keep putting it on. I don't know if I've kept wearing this one because I find it useful enough to remember or because I'm an Apple [censored].
grin.gif

I'm a watch collector. I have 41+ watches. Swiss, Japanese, Chinese (no knock-offs!) most of these are mechanicals.

To the OP, the largest I can tolerate is 44mm provided it is not more than 14mm thick. Any larger diameters become SPF devices :eek:)

Originally Posted By: gman2304

When I lived in Denver I bought an Accutron (which, like you, I'd admired since they were new) -- a doctor's watch, with the Latin for "Count to 20 beats" printed around the dial. Mine came with the box and instructions, and a small coincidental perk the seller didn't know about. Turned out the original buyer of the watch in 1966 was a Kansas doctor who had lived next door to one of my co-workers! She knew him!

This fellow sells them and works on them: http://neatwatch.com/ I bought a Bulova automatic from him, and we had trouble getting it to run right; so he refunded my money, but then sent me the watch, properly running at last, for free. It's still keeping good time several years later. (I sent him a check for half his costs anyway.) Drop him a line if yours needs service; I need to send the Doctor's Watch to him.

I`m looking for a rotating bezel with a back light. Only want hour and minute hands not all the other junk.Inexpensive and no bigger than 42mm or too thick . After searching Ebay and Amazon , no such luck. Can`t find one with both.

Yeah, the backlight will be difficult to find...cheap. I would look for a watch(with your criteria) that has good luminescence. There are several watches(40mm-42mm or even 43mm) that have 3 hands(hrs, min, sec), rotating bezel but, with lum.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yeah, the backlight will be difficult to find...cheap. I would look for a watch(with your criteria) that has good luminescence. There are several watches(40mm-42mm or even 43mm) that have 3 hands(hrs, min, sec), rotating bezel but, with lum.

Timex has a bunch of Indiglo watches and some have a bezel (fixed) but I don`t see any with both a Indiglo and rotating bezel. I am considering the Timex Expedition Scout with green canvas band and black dial face though. Still undecided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back