What's the story with AC Delco filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a thread from 2011 that they cheaped out huge and are using cardboard end caps- is this true? Always used WIX in my LS1 but as i work for a dealership down the road from a GM store, I can grab one of theirs at cost.

Originally Posted By: Striker
I read a thread from 2011 that they cheaped out huge and are using cardboard end caps- is this true? Always used WIX in my LS1 but as i work for a dealership down the road from a GM store, I can grab one of theirs at cost.

What makes them "cheap", at least in the context you are saying? They sure bond better to the filtering element and don't come loose. I can't see a downside.

there's still people who don't like fiber endcaps? I thought that would have died by now

Nothing wrong with saying with Wix
smile.gif

The ACDelco ecore end caps are some type of hard felt I think. Classic(non-ecore) have metal end caps, and are good quality filters just like they have always been.

I'm old school and prefer metal end caps. Must be a reason the Fram Ultra uses metal and their cheaper line (xtra and tough guards) uses the fiber caps. Come to think of it, all of the top shelf filters use metal.

I'd stick with the WIX you're using or, if you must go AC DELCO, just grab the part number without the E in the part #. The E (PF48E) means ecore with fiber end caps and no E (PF48) means traditional metal end cap filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I'm old school and prefer metal end caps. Must be a reason the Fram Ultra uses metal and their cheaper line (xtra and tough guards) uses the fiber caps. Come to think of it, all of the top shelf filters use metal.

Because of consumer perception, not for a technical reason.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Because of consumer perception, not for a technical reason.
Except for the Ultra, its metal mesh backing requires a metal end cap. The way the M&H end caps have been popping off & potentially releasing potting material, & Fram adding more pleats to the Extra Guard, fiber/engineered media end caps are doing better for 5K or less OCIs.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Except for the Ultra, its metal mesh backing requires a metal end cap. The way the M&H end caps have been popping off & potentially releasing potting material, & Fram adding more pleats to the Extra Guard, fiber/engineered media end caps are doing better for 5K or less OCIs.

Yes this is true. However, I don't know why there would be a limit to the OCI.

Originally Posted By: Striker

Use a Mobil 1 oil filter or your Wix. The Mobil 1 is relabeled by GM as an ACDelco UPF48R and sold for use in the 'vette. I had startup noise with the ECORE, despite the upside down mounting of the filter that holds oil. All I know is that something was going wrong. Return to use of Mobil 1/UPF48R, noises gone. Just one man's experience. The number of vehicles on the road using the E-core filter is a testament to its working, but I want better than working, I want working well and best.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Working? Or just not immediately blowing up the engine

Who makes Mobil 1 Filters?

Please. Another ridiculous statement just like your one that dumping coolant into a municipal septic sewer is punishable by jail time in some localities (which you never responded to by the way).

Where is there any evidence that even over a long period of time a an e-core filter design is detrimental, and more so to the point of "blowing up" an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back