Educate me on AGM batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at replacement batteries and it seems the stores are pushing AGM as superior.
The price is way more expensive as well.

I'm a diesel semi mechanic and have dealt with both flooded and AGM batteries. New semi trucks come with them. We have put them in Ottawa yard shifter trucks and they do last longer in those.
Yard shifter trucks have no rear suspension and vibrate/ride horrible. Flooded batteries were doing good to last one year those trucks while AGM batteries last much longer.
I'd have a hard time spending the extra money on one unless my vehicle came with one from the factory. They might be super in certain applications, but potentially a waste of money for the average driver.

The AGM battery will give more consistent power and have an extra boost when standard lead acid batteries would fall flat. Most (all?) vehicles that have start/stop technology will use AGM batteries to ensure good starts over the extra cycles. They do perform better but in everyday driving it would likely be hard to quantify without sensitive instrumentation hooked up to observe voltages and such.

I'd be concerned about charging system setup as well.

If memory serves, AGM batteries don't like to be charged much above 15 volts. I'm not sure older systems would limit to that in cold conditions. There are also a lot of "buzz box" standard chargers that can kick out seriously high voltage if someone sets them to "kill" and then walks away. A flooded cell battery will just get to a pasta-boil if you do that and probably won't be hurt if you get back in a reasonable time, but I think that is fatal for an AGM.

don't do it, stick to cheapest flooded battery from wallys/Costco etc.

I have some very berry expensive boat anchors sitting in my garage.

I would agms for tight spaces where I cannot add a vent.

The fact that agm don't gas under normal conditions is reason enough for me.no cleaning cables again! I will only buy agm.my currant optima in my Jeep is 7 yrs and still starts it

Originally Posted By: Miller88
With all the vehicles with start/stop technology, I wonder if we're going
to see a lot of worn out ring gears.

My Malibu has an AGM battery and also a small tractor like battery in the trunk for the start/stop technology. Supposedly the starter is "beefed up" to handle it.

Last edited:
I switched to AGM in my Cessna. I was lucky to get 2.5 years out of a flooded battery. I'm on year 5 now. That Cessna is always vibrating.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: Miller88
With all the vehicles with start/stop technology, I wonder if we're going
to see a lot of worn out ring gears.

My Malibu has an AGM battery and also a small tractor like battery in the trunk for the start/stop technology. Supposedly the starter is "beefed up" to handle it.

Don't some start/stop vehicles use the alternator to turn over the crankshaft pulley to restart the car? I thought I heard that some do because of the fear of the starter eventually burning up.

Well I certainly think that in some applications they are superior.....for instance you see that they have become the prevalent technology in motorcycles.

They're standard in certain cars like Mercedes. There's plenty of stories of them lasting 8-12 years. Still it depends on temperature, the colder the climate, the longer they last just like any other battery.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
They're standard in certain cars like Mercedes. There's plenty of stories of them lasting 8-12 years. Still it depends on temperature, the colder the climate, the longer they last just like any other battery.

That would mean they became standard in 2004 to 2008. In my limited observation, I haven't seen that.

Regular batteries in Mercedes have been reported to last 8-12 years as well. These are made in Germany batteries.

The AGM I have self limits charging voltage.

An upside of AGM is it accepts charging more readily and it resists a greater depth of discharge. Regular batteries need hours on absorption charging to fully top up.

So if your driving pattern is shorter trips and liberal usage of accessories, then AGM may be for you.

But heat is the main killer of batteries so if you're doing longer trips and the battery is subject to heat, then there's probably no advantage. AGM won't last longer but it'll cost you more.

Thanks guys, VERY informative. I was wondering about putting one in the Camry. It does get short tripped during the week with her iPhone plugged in sometimes.

The once a month or so we take it to her moms 170 miles away.

I have found that there are 3 battery makers. Interstate has one but not in a 24F.
Then the game of how many CCA one needs. Of course it needs to meet OEM specs. Which is 582 according to the OEM battery in the car now.

Last edited:
AGM was first used on wide scale by BMW.
If cars are driven in combination HWY/city and not only city, they can do 7-8yrs, which is really good considering amount of electronics inside.

I believe AGM is a much superior battery in some limited cases. Especially the hybrid type almost deep cycle batteries. If you have some high powered amps and speakers, especially if it's something like a show car that you blast with the engine off for a while. Or a camping/overland vehicle. In both cases of course a dual battery setup would be very nice, but most likely they'll still be AGM.
For a smooth riding, longer distance car, probably not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back