latest Havoline 20W50 run in my '94 HD Low Rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
this OCI was sort of an exercise in neglect... half unintentional, the other half "oh what the heck..."

...anyway, I left the oil in for 13 months... probably closer to 14, and didn't change it as I had been, about every 2500 to 3000 miles... I let it go for over 4400 miles.

It's not too bad, metals are up a bit as I suspected they would be. I'd rather have seen those metals closer to the ratios I had been getting all along, but nothing seems amiss enough to worry about.

Here's the report...

oilreport-1.png

Is that the plain-Jane, common, ordinary, Havoline 20W-50?

Any other additives?

Does it look like the oil had started to thicken just a fuzz?

Anyways - great report.

I think it probably had begun to thicken... it's generally been shearing to a 40 weight, and this time it doesn't seem to have sheared. I'd say if I had taken it out at 2500 to 3K it may have been thinner.

No other additives, not even in the gas, so it's straight automotive 20W50 Havoline in the black bottle, around 3 bucks a quart at Advance or AutoZone.

And of course not beginning the riding season with an oil change like I generally do, but rather putting about 2000 miles on an oil that had already seasoned may have affected the oil in some way as well. It would seem it affected the wear metals a bit, but those could also simply be an aging engine beginning to shed particles a bit faster than it used to. The last analysis I had done was over 10K ago... and it does look as though wear metals had been steadily rising a bit over the miles, but still within average it seems.

I may do a VR1 test next, just to see if that oil might bring the wear metals down any... just out of curiosity.

Dan

...and by the way, I went on and got the TBN this time because so many of the members here are interested in that number. I guess the old Havoline still had a lot of "go" in it, though the thickening issue should probably be watched.

I don't plan on running past 3000 miles in the future on this bike before changing the oil.

Dan

The copper isnt really out of line. I would of guessed maybe 4 and 4 to 6 is easily in the noise.

Aluminum had a very minor spike. Likely just noise as its really minor. No silicon or sodium so it doesnt really track like dirt or rubbing wear. My thought is it will be lower next time.

No idea why the viscosity held up better. Is this oil from the same lot number? Maybe ChevronTexaco upgraded the base stock in the 2 years between UOA (Higher VI) and eliminated some VII.

Looks like your in good shape for 1 year OCI. Looks really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back