Italian Tunning on a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.....
smile.gif

First of all, sorry if my english was not so good.......
I was a member of Long Drain Interval Community (LDIC) from Indonesia, who use PCMO/HDEO on motorcycle......
I'd like to learn something, what's BITOG knows about Italian Tunning, is it work, is it save, and how to do it on a motorcycle properly......
Thanks before.......

The Italian tune up? Take it down the auto bon. Or you can be one of those guys that blasts past a cop doing 180. The poor cop blinks and has no idea what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha, my bike was not a big motorcycle like Harley Davidson, only 150 cc.......
somebody says that Italian Tune Up can clean the engine, someone says that's the right way for new motorcycle while running-in period or break-in, is it true?
how to do that Italian Tune Up......?

every gear.....??!?
really.....???
because someone told me just like what you said, take it to the red line, but just in first gear, then hold it for 2 second....

I have a 150cc Italian motorcycle, you have to ride it like an Italian! I ring it out in every single gear.

There is no defined way of doing an "Italian tune-up"; in fact the term is something of a joke, implying that Italian people tend to drive their vehicles very fast and hard. Therefore an "Italian tune-up" just means go hard and fast. There is no time, gear, speed or whatever. There is no written specification or method. And there is also no guarantee it'll do anything other than waste some fuel, increase dopamine levels and maybe even get you in trouble.

Perhaps worth adding that the primary reason for doing it is to get the engine hotter than usual, which could burn off or dislodge any deposits that might have accumulated around piston rings, valves, sensors etc.

grin.gif
this should go to the humor department. Specially: "It should be trashed just to stay in pace with the traffic"...

Last edited:
I think the key to the "Italian tune up" is to make sure you deaccelerate hard as well.

They way I was taught was 2nd gear run it to red line decel down to a slow speed and repeat a couple of times. The hard accel/decel is supposed to clean the pistons. The accel heats them rapidly and the decel sucks oil up under the bottom to cool it.

I was told this by and old timer mechanic so take it with a grain of salt.

Engines seem to run best for me after a long highway trip with a couple full throttle runs up the occasional on ramp.

My bike sees Hard riding almost every time I ride it somewhere. I find myself stabbing it in second doing a power wheelie and praying there aren't any cops watching
13.gif

Last edited:
If i ride my Bike or drive my Car slow (= City traffic / Commuting) i realy feel that the engines are loosing a little bit of Power and dont rev so freely and powerfull as before. It´s a little difference, but noticebale.

Solution: Italian Tuning. Warm it up and drive it on the Autobahn, accelerate it "Pedal to the metall" in 4. gear to almost redline a few times, or, better, drive it for a few minutes as fast as it get.

If done, you can really feel the difference, the engine revs better more freely and feels like it the original Power is back again.

AFAIK the problem is that deposits (Ash, coal) are build up on the valves and valve seats. Thus, the valves are not 100% air tight anymore, lowering the compression.

The heat generated by a "Italian Tuning" will burn the valves and seats clean, restoring full compression again.

I wonder if fuel system cleaner will help also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back