Dually Tire Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soliciting Recommendations for a good set of long lasting tires for my Ram Dually. Truck is used to haul on the highway, so a mud tread is not needed.

Considering tires like the Cooper Discoverer HT3, Firestone Transforce HT (or maybe AT), Bridgestone Duravis?

Hoping for the closest to a commercial tire I can get, Highway tread or maybe a mild AT.

For Highway tread the Michelin ltx ms/2 is excellent.

Just remember the longest lasting will usually not have the best traction.

the transforces are what I see on most haulers in my area. Both the HT and AT. Considering you guys get a decent amount of snow I would go with the ATs.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Long lasting? Not for everyone. Wet traction? Forget it.

Other than that, it is excellent.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
the transforces are what I see on most haulers in my area. Both the HT and AT. Considering you guys get a decent amount of snow I would go with the ATs.

My dad has TransForce ATs on his Ram 3500 SRW. They basically turn to highway ribs as they wear.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I have 4 Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts on the back of my F-Super Duty-12K+ in weight, they wear like iron, haven't gotten stuck yet (LT235/85R16). Sorry about the double post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shorthorn
Hoping for the closest to a commercial tire I can get

Bridgestone Duravis R500HD for OTR, Duravis M700HD for all-season.

R500HD:
bs_durv_r500hd_pdpcrop.jpg

M700HD:
bs_duravism700hd_pdpcrop.jpg

I just got a set of Cooper HT3s in 265/75/16 10ply tires for my F250. They ride very well, not a very aggressive tread, similar to Transforce tires mentioned above. I am happy with them, I forget what the mileage warranty is on them. I did have one defective tire that the sidewall developed a bubble on within a few hundred miles. Shop replaced with no issues

Considering the truck is a 4x4 I'd probably stick with a highway tread over an AT. I also like the Michelin LTX M/S2 long life in my experience. The Firestone HT or AT are both great choices, the AT was OEM on single wheel 3500's for quite some time and generally lasted 50k I personally like the AT Firestone over the HT. Cooper makes great tires and I wouldn't be afraid to run a set of those either. My personal choice would be the Michelin.

Since you have 4x4 and Cummins power i would get the LTX MS/2 simply because it has a tread life warranty, most other E range do not.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

You post this alot.. however it doesn't seem to reflect what the vast majority of owners experience.

I'm not a michelin cheerleader. I even have some defenders that are IMO terrible.

These are great tires, just a little on the expensive side, I have these on the front of my truck. I'm going to be in the market for some new tires for my dually (rear wheels) soon and was considering these as well, just not sure if I could justify the cost as I don't think it would make much of a difference on the rear?

I'll probably buy the cheapest with the highest UTQG.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

The overwhelming majority report exactly the opposite. Your experience is highly unusual. People right here on this board have gotten 100k miles on a set! We have used them for decades here and they outlast all other popular brands by a large margin and deliver EXCELLENT traction even when worn down. For a load range E tire they also ride surprisingly well and are quiet.

OP, Michelin LTX MS2's are no longer made. The new model is called the Defender LTX and has the exact same tread and carcass plies as the old one. I just fitted a set of these to one of my service vans and they seem to be excellent. Some tire places still have the old style, just be sure and check the date codes.

They are awesome tires for HD trucks...

Cant speak to the life of them, only had them on for about 5,000 miles, but in rain/snow the Michelin LTX MS/2 (now defender LTX) have been excellent on my Jeep. They also have a 70,000 mile treadware warranty. I assume traction would only be better with 2 extra tires in the rear...

When I had my 4wd Dually, I switched over to Michelin LTX M/S tires, and they did great in any conditions I encountered. I lived in a State which gets heavy snowfall, and never had a situation where shifting into 4wd couldn't get me through the worst conditions.

I have no experience with the newer version LTX M/S2's or Defender LTX M/S tires on a Dually. But I doubt they would provide worse service than the original LTX M/S's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back