Fluid film may strip paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
mjoekingz28,

That's weird. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with Fluid Film. I brush (do not spray) on the Fluid Film or Grease on my trucks. The undercarriage, snow plows and drive train parts with Fluid Film on them are a mesh mosh of: factory paint,rustoleum,gray / black porch and deck paint, Krylon, etc. Here in Northern Ohio, at the first hint of snow the city truck dump down a layer of salt and salt brine that turns the roads white. In the spring I hose off the under carriage, etc. after spraying everything with a strong solution of laundry soap/dish soap. Then I touch up any actual rust spots, wait a week and then re-coat everything with fluid film or grease. Last winter I had Fluid Film on my painted truck rims and when I cleaned them off with kerosene in the spring the paint on the rims was unharmed. I've also coated rocker panels on my girlfriends 2008 Honda Fit and the lower exterior portions of my work trucks: doors,truck beds and fenders the last few years and the paint has not been harmed in any way. Maybe the Fluid Film I got is an old batch or different chemical makeup. I bought several gallons five years ago at a local True Value hardware store that had the Fluid Film on sale. As a side note, I used Por-15 on the undercarriage of a car I was working on, everyone said the Por-15 was such a great paint. Well it peeled off after a while. Then I pained the same areas with Valspar porch and deck paint and the paint never peeled off. Sometimes these things are hit or miss as your and my experience with Fluid Film.

No issues with removing paint on our two cars. They've gotten FF-bombed for the past 4 years without any paint-removal issues.

Stuff smells lethal anyways, I should have ditched it sooner, but used up most of the can from Lowe's. I have no immediate plans to use the product again.

Maybe for you northeners..........

As said, kerosene, silicone spray, T-9, Wd-40 have given me better results, smell better, and I havent noticed and degredation from the materials being sprayed on.

Just wanted to help!

As for smell, while many may find it a little offensive its definitely an organic smell and no a solvent odor like the above mentioned products. And we understand that it had adverse effects for you, but it seems you are the abberant result here, and likely due to a non-permanent base coating... But since you are unable to determine what the damaged coating actually is/was we have no way to know this. Obvious another similar or waxy type product will be affected vastly different than a permanent coating like paint or powder coating.

I respect the fact you do not care for it, but it does work for the overwhelming majority and you are inappropriately dissuading others from an effective anti-rust product.

Let me add one more thing, please. I have used FF over top of Amsoil HDMP, and while I believe the application was redundant and negated the use of HDMP the FF did not dissolve or destroy the HDMP- which is a solvent carried waxy film lube and corrosion protector.

Last edited:
What ever GM coats their frames in is not paint. I can break it down and wipe it off with thinner. If you heat it with a small torch it will melt into a nasty mess and drip on the floor.

I've been debating using FF on my new Snowblower...

Grease will always be better than wax IMO for this application. Just hate the tack/sand/dirt stickiness that tends to occur with FF.

What other alternatives are ya'll using in lieu of FF.

Love this stuff on my hedge trimmers. I use to go to town with spirits after doing some heaving cutting. Now, I just make sure it's got a nice coat on before I begin. When I'm down, I'll generally take a rag and wife off the entire blades, just to get all the debris off, in essecence, also removing the FF.

Spray a nice coat on....and it's ready for the next time I use it.
And whatever happens, no sap, etc builds up on the blades sofar

I used fluid film on my 2003 gmc sierra hoping to protect my rusty brake lines a bit until I got a chance to replace them. I only sprayed the lines along the top of the frame on the drivers side, I read that fluid film could soften gm undercoating so I figured I wouldn't use much. A couple months later I went to replace my brake lines and in the spots I sprayed I could wipe my undercoating away with a rag as if it were mud, right down to bare metal. Guess they weren't kidding haha

However I also sprayed my door hinges and it doesn't seem to have damaged the paint in any way. I'm no expert but that's my experience with fluid film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back