Squirrel chewed hole through motorhome fuel line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to move the motorhome to take it out on a short getaway, and made the discovery that a squirrel has chewed a hole through the return fuel line.

IMG_20160817_080355315_zpsdoorsqb5.jpg

I knew something was wrong when the engine was slow to start, and sputtered around while trying to start. This is a engine that has always fired up instantly, as soon as the key is turned, even after sitting all winter. That, and the stream of gas from underneath... were the signs of a problem.

The fuel line is roughly a 4' section of steel line (that runs along the frame rail), then it turns towards the engine with the last 18" (where it finally connects to the fuel rail) as plastic with a braided nylon cover. The hole is in the first inch of the plastic line, right after where it is clamped to the steel line. On the other end, the steel end connects with a quick coupler to another stretch of steel line, just past the fuel filter.

I'm not even sure if this line would be available through Ford anymore, the motorhome sits on a 2003 F53 chassis.

What are my options here?

If you can't get it at the dealership you can try NAPA. I know they can make their own fuel lines. Never done it before but worth a shot if it isn't an item that can be easily found. Goodluck

i have had so many squirrels damage this or that around my home, that I have had to thin them out and keep them chased off around my home area and back into the woods, so i feel your pain.

that having been said, it looks like that is not a location that will work with a simple repair coupler. i would look for the part first and then a custom made hose..

there are a lot of experienced folks here, so maybe someone will come up with another idea

Could you not just use some regular old fuel line just to get it going? you can buy fuel line by the foot at Autozone. Just cut it to fit. Shouldn't cost more than $10 and takes just a few minutes.

I had a similar problem many years ago on a Toyota pickup truck. I went to an auto air conditioning shop and had them custom make a fuel line for me. I remember the guy who made the line told me to buy fuel injection hose from the auto parts store down the block as fuel hose is different than a.c. hose. He put on the ends and connectors like a factory fit and it worked like a charm.

A family of chipmunks chewed through an electrical wiring harness that controlled the ABS actuators on my wife's 2013 Highlander Hybrid and also the hood insulation(2nd time) and firewall insulation. The damage was estimated at nearly $6700. Good thing I have comprehensive auto insurance with a $500 deductible. This happened on our farm property in Wisconsin just north of you. It seems car manufacturers have taken the whole going green movement to the next level by using soy-based plastics which the rodents find tasty.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ho...lawsuit-n504746

Take care of the rodent problem or else they will continue to chew through everything. Good luck!

2cqi59y.jpg

jhu4xh.jpg

They need to wear down their pearly whites somehow. I've caught 6 chipmunks in the past week and will set up a sunflower seed "drown bucket" to put a dent in the population and their destructive nature.

I doubt it was a squirrel but could be wrong. Seems more like something a chipmunk, rat etc would do. I think squirrels are more into nuts, berries, etc. I've also seen them going to town on a bird feeder. They were over that thing.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I doubt it was a squirrel but could be wrong. Seems more like something a chipmunk, rat etc would do. I think squirrels are more into nuts, berries, etc. I've also seen them going to town on a bird feeder. They were over that thing.

Squirrels are just rats with fuzzy tails. We have a bronco that had sat for maybe a month. one day I noticed a squirrel hop up on the tire and go into the engine compartment with a stick. Looked under the hood and he'd started building a nest and chewed through the wires going to the computer. I was thrilled... I've also seen them chew on plastic trailer lights.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
I've caught 6 chipmunks in the past week and will set up a sunflower seed "drown bucket" to put a dent in the population and their destructive nature.

Judging by your photo and comment, I assume cruelly drowning living/feeling creatures is something you're proud of, which is both disturbing and sad.

I actually save human lives for a living and put them at ease during surgeries and prevent pain(aka anesthesiologist). That I'm proud of! What do you do??

I have neighbors who put the very food that you eat on your table who suffer 100s of thousands of dollars of crop/livestock damage give me advice on how to keep the rodent population down and the drown bucket is what they use themselves.

Do as you please with how you take care of your own business. My business is my business and I will continue to do what is necessary to prevent more damage to my property, no one and not even some anonymous person named padawan online, will ever change that.

I have neighbors who put the very food that you eat on your table who suffer 100s of thousands of dollars of crop/livestock damage give me advice on how to keep the rodent population down and the drown bucket is what they use themselves

The fact that you know farmers who also recommend drowning live animals doesn't make in any less inhumane, and your occupation is entirely irrelevant.

I actually grew up and spent 47 years in Cherry Hill, NJ and own commercial property in Collingswood, NJ. So believe me I know your types (Let's call Terminex).

I actually grew up and spent 47 years in Cherry Hill, NJ and own commercial property in Collingswood, NJ. So believe me I know your types (Let's call Terminex).

While I have no idea what implication that reference is intended to convey, I can assure you I've never done business with Terminex or any other "pest control" companies.

Out of respect for the original poster, perhaps we can agree to disagree, and allow the thread to resume its intended purpose of addressing the original poster's question regarding repairing his brake line.

Had the same thing happen to my wife's van some years ago. The line chewed through was a pressure line and it was chewed through near where it attached to a steel line. The amount of gas that came out of that line and all over the engine was frightening (one spark and we would have lost the van). I took it to be repaired. He couldn't find the parts. We went round & round. In the end, the line was cut short, slack pulled out and reattached using a crimp-type clamp.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I doubt it was a squirrel but could be wrong.

While it could be a rat, a pack rat or some other rodent, my brother-in-law had a row of Christmas lights completely demolished by squirrels.
The lights were the type that look like icicles and were hanging on his carport. He was watching them as they chewed them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back