Test strips for 6.7 Ford Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those with the newer Ford Diesel, what cooling systems test strips are you using? Information is sketchy and sometimes contradicting. I know Ford has a kit, but it is pricey, Fleetgaurd has strips (CC2602B and CC2607B), but do they test everything?

What's the sketchy and contradicting information? Just shooting from the hip, the nitrite level is a big deal in engines with aluminum heads. To the point that some are using nitrite free coolant to avoid unwanted reactions.

From a past job I am way to familiar with coolants and modern diesel engines so feel free to PM for some detailed discussions.

There are lots of different strips and coolant technologies through the years. Most descriptions of test strips say for "Powerstroke Diesel" but don't give the years, subsequent research shows they are not correct for the 2015. That is sketchy.

Avoid the entire test strip [censored] and flush and fill with CAT ELC coolant actually made for a diesel and get rid of the ford Gold junk. You'll be thankful you did.

Todd - check with your dealer, they may do it for free, mine does as a courtesy. I test my coolant with a Robinair 75240 Refractometer for coolant freezing point, but the dealer tested it for strength of additives. As an aside, the dealer told me that most 6.7L engines they have serviced does not need additive until about 50K to replenish the factory fill. Mine checked out perfectly at 15K.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Avoid the entire test strip [censored] and flush and fill with CAT ELC coolant actually made for a diesel and get rid of the ford Gold junk. You'll be thankful you did.
Ford 6.7L diesels do not use gold coolant, they use orange (Dexcool).

Either way I'd dump that junk and put a real HD diesel coolant (EC-1 spec) in there... too many issues in the past with these PSD engines and coolants.

Either way I'd dump that junk and put a real HD diesel coolant (EC-1 spec) in there... too many issues in the past with these PSD engines and coolants.
Why? While the 6.doh and 6.4 engines have/had a myriad of coolant/EGR cooler issues, there does not seem to be many with the 6.7L series. Mine is still under warranty so I see zero reason to "experiment".

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Todd - check with your dealer, they may do it for free, mine does as a courtesy. I test my coolant with a Robinair 75240 Refractometer for coolant freezing point, but the dealer tested it for strength of additives. As an aside, the dealer told me that most 6.7L engines they have serviced does not need additive until about 50K to replenish the factory fill. Mine checked out perfectly at 15K.

I did check two dealers, both said they use aftermarket strips and don't sell or carry the Ford labeled ones (made by Acustrip). One dealer said he thought it was thirty something dollars for the service guys to do it but didn't know if that was testing one system or both and couldn't be more specific, the other dealer thought it would be $60 to test both. I just ordered 4 test strips from Acustrip for about $15 shipped. I just got the Molybdate, Nitrite, and glycol---but I also use a Robinair 75240 refractometer for the glycol. I don't think I need the contamination test yet with only 17,000 miles.

Thanks for the info.

The service writers each have a kit in their desks. We have a couple of the Accustrip kits in parts for them or the occasional shop that wants to buy a kit. The coolant in the 6.7s is the Ford version of Dex-cool.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The service writers each have a kit in their desks. We have a couple of the Accustrip kits in parts for them or the occasional shop that wants to buy a kit. The coolant in the 6.7s is the Ford version of Dex-cool.

Therefore, it is NOT a HD diesel coolant... Why Ford keeps choosing to go this route with their diesel engines is beyond me... for gosh sakes, just put the correct [censored] EC-1 coolant in them!!

If this is the case, is the VC-12 "Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant Revitalizer" the Nitrite additive?

Therefore, it is NOT a HD diesel coolant... Why Ford keeps choosing to go this route with their diesel engines is beyond me... for gosh sakes, just put the correct [censored] EC-1 coolant in them!!

Seems to work fine in the 6.7L. No issues like we had with G05 and the EGR and oil coolers on the 6.0. I do personally agree though that EC-1 should have been used from the start.

Originally Posted By: another Todd

If this is the case, is the VC-12 "Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant Revitalizer" the Nitrite additive?

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ling%20Products

That is all I really know about it. I can snap a pic of the bottle label if you want.

No that's OK I have a bottle sitting in front of me, but it gives no clue as to what the chemical inside is...must be the nitrite.

bdcardinal, that link indicates you use the contamination test (R071 ELC) to determine the need for the VC-12. Everything else I read indicates you use the molybdate/nitrate test (CTS-3 Acustrip)to determine when to use the VC-12. That's a conflict.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back