Wave Runner consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now live on water and I'm considering purchasing a WaveRunner. If I do purchase one, it would likely be a used one and I'd like to keep it at $5k or less. I've driven them a few times but know absolutely nothing about which ones have good reputations, which ones to avoid, etc. Any input on brands or models to look for? I'd like to get a 2 seater and pulling skiers isn't an option since I live on a river. Any info is appreciated! Thanks.

Waverunner used to be a specific Yamaha model. At one time, Yamaha were built the best IMO. Nice hardware, great component quality and put together well. You'd often see them in rental fleets, no doubt because of this. They didn't necessarily handle as well as a SeaDoo/Bombardier, Kawasaki or Polaris, but they were built like tanks. I had 3 different makes/models back in the mid 1990s to early 2000s. One Bombardier, a Yamaha Pro VXR and a Kawasaki 750ZXi. The Seadoo/Bombardier was the only one that gave me problems.

A couple of models of the Waverunner is highly popular with rental companies....and for good reason. They are tough, reliable, and last a long time with abuse.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
I now live on water and I'm considering purchasing a WaveRunner. If I do purchase one, it would likely be a used one and I'd like to keep it at $5k or less. I've driven them a few times but know absolutely nothing about which ones have good reputations, which ones to avoid, etc. Any input on brands or models to look for? I'd like to get a 2 seater and pulling skiers isn't an option since I live on a river. Any info is appreciated! Thanks.

Congrats on your move. I am jealous.

As far as Personal Watercraft (PWC), the first step is to decide what type, a stand-up style, or a sit down style (aka a "couch"). I own a Yamaha FX HO. I love it. It runs on 87 pump gas, sips gas, and puts out 180 HP. It seats three. I'm at 80 hours and it has been flawless.

The next step might be to figure out what you plan to do with it every night. You cannot leave a jet drive in the water. It either needs a jet dock or a lift of some type. Stands ups are light, but not couches. Mine is about 900+ pounds including fuel.

Also, The only major manufacturers of PWCs still in the business are Yamaha, SeaDoo and Kawasaki. Buying an older Honda or Tigershawk may lead to problems getting parts. There are also many great forums out there that will help you decide.

The BIG question is: What oil to run in it?

Originally Posted By: 07Piloteer

The next step might be to figure out what you plan to do with it every night. You cannot leave a jet drive in the water. It either needs a jet dock or a lift of some type. Stands ups are light, but not couches. Mine is about 900+ pounds including fuel.

Thanks for the input everyone! Good to know about not leaving them in the water overnight. Since I'm on a river with water level that fluctuates, I need to think about this a little more....as for oil, my 25hp 4 stroke Mercury on my small pontoon boat seems to love M1 0w40
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back