Email Account Attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get over 200 failure notices everyday for all these emails that I supposedly sent out, but I did not send them. What's weird is that each email has a different address. I think I've been hacked. My email service provider is Yahoo and my ISP is AT&T. The people at AT&T says it's not their problem. I have all the emails forwarded to my Mac Mail account, but the duplicate emails are over at my Yahoo account. The screenshot is from my Mac Mail account. You guys got any ideas on what I can do to make it stop ?

Email Spam by Merkava_4, on Flickr

I will do that. Thank you sir.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
Change all the passwords in the email accounts.

Happened to me a few months ago.

That will fix it.

Also, if you have any other account that used that same password you should change that as well immediately

If your account was hacked it is best to change your password from another computer from another IP address, so I was told.

Happened to me also. Had the account since the 90's I've changed the password and it happened again. Nobody took any measure and I ended up asking to cancel that account. I've Let Abandoned and lost a bunch of old messages and contacts.

Yep, good old yahoo. The one and only email account I've had that happen to was a yahoo account, and it happened repeatedly, at least once a year. The last time, enough was enough. Re directed anything important to another service, deleted all the contacts, and try to keep it cleaned out.

Run anti-virus, malware bytes and then change passwords. You may have a trojan sending your passwords everywhere.

and make it a difficult password include a capital letter and a symbol of some sort.

my only problem with these harder to hack passwords is that I have to write them down until I can remember them, by then it's time to change the password again.

so frequency of changing passwords can also help.

There was some article I read a while back that said Yahoo mail was the #1 hacked email. It mentioned that the way it can be hacked is irrespective of password changes, although it did help in some circumstances.

Those failure notices can also be just a bot using your address as a return, which anyone can do. When it bounces to the thousands of addresses the spam is sent to the failure comes back to you.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There was some article I read a while back that said Yahoo mail was the #1 hacked email. It mentioned that the way it can be hacked is irrespective of password changes, although it did help in some circumstances.

Those failure notices can also be just a bot using your address as a return, which anyone can do. When it bounces to the thousands of addresses the spam is sent to the failure comes back to you.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! + 1,000

i think 2 years ago yahoo had thousands of accounts hacked without using the password.... linkedin also had some this year/last year
and KSCHACHN is right: somebody is emulating as you (without actually using your physical account)

Change every password you have asap if they got into that account they may have attached a keystroke recorder or something else clean that pc very well go back to day 1 if you can and install a good anti virus and an anti logger program and dont use that P.C. to do anything until you are sure its clean..Use other computers for personal data.. I never use this P>C. for anything important..

Remember Don't listen to anyone that tells you everything you do online is safe...Its Not..computers are not nearly as safe as you think.. There are a lot of spies out there in the woods.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
and make it a difficult password include a capital letter and a symbol of some sort. my only problem with these harder to hack passwords is that I have to write them down until I can remember them, by then it's time to change the password again. so frequency of changing passwords can also help.
Use a known phrase or word that is unique to you in some way (so that you will remember it) and change some of the letters with symbols. For example, Merkava_4 could use this as a password:

M&rk@v@_$

He should not use that now that I have posted it, but you get the idea.

Somebody is using your email address as a return address. That may not necessarily be because your account was hacked.

However, it is more likely that you have some sort of malware that is using your computer to send out these emails.

I'm not too computer savvy but I've had good luck with my att router with it's firewall enabled, and att web mail(yahoo).

Good luck!

An investment in the paid version of Malwarebytes and changing the password for your email as previously mentioned. If people would use BCC when sending emails to more than one person would help some too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back