Redline VS Amsoil

Well neither the ester or PAO suspend the add pack or keep seals from leaking. The "base" is at least 10% Grp I and maybe a smidge Grp II.

I would suspect that some of the premium PAO-based oils have some ester and that the predominately ester oils have some PAO. Either may contain some amount Grp II.

The fact that Amsoil did not test the Redline may be that it was too close in performance to their oil.

Wonder what sort of market share Redline has? Maybe they didn't test it because of low overall market share? Really, who is their competition?

Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Which ever oil is in your engine when it blows up will be the worst.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
"So in a head to head test redline would outperform Amsoil?"

Maybe, mabe not.
They won't take the chance.
Even if they come out equal, Amsoil won't want that info out there either. They've built their fans up by claiming they are the 'best'. If another brand is equal, they no longer are the 'best'.
It would be hard to say which oil is the best, Schaeffer oil get really great results at a lower price than Amsoil or Redline for example . What about Torco ,eon or neo what ever it is called just to stir the pot some.

Originally Posted By: kballowe

Wonder what sort of market share Redline has? Maybe they didn't test it because of low overall market share? Really, who is their competition?

Just a thought.

Redlines's presence around here is solely in the Race circuit and at that mostly with their shockproof gear oil and water wetter. From the boards etc. I gather their west coast customer base seems to be broader.

Well neither the ester or PAO suspend the add pack or keep seals from leaking.

Actually, esters have extreme seal swell (highly polar) and excellent additive solubility. PAO is the one that has problems with additive fall out, and zero polarity and seal swell in an of itself.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Well neither the ester or PAO suspend the add pack or keep seals from leaking.

Actually, esters have extreme seal swell (highly polar) and excellent additive solubility. PAO is the one that has problems with additive fall out, and zero polarity and seal swell in an of itself.

Thank-you for setting me straight on that.

What about traction/adhesion?

Last edited:
Ben99GT: "Actually, esters have extreme seal swell (highly polar) and excellent additive solubility."

Yes. Esters are often added to PAO in up to 10-15% concentrations to accomplish seal conditioning as well as add-pack solubility.

Part of the problem with oils formulated mostly or primarily with esters are the natural solvency of esters and their aggressive nature towards softer metals ... which are the ones that often seem to spike in UOAs where Red Line is used.

Question is, does this aggressive nature offset the anti-wear effect the affinity-for-metal has? I think it might. So, if you are looking for an oil that can survive in extreme heat ... over 500F like racing ... then, by all means, use an ester-based oil. Your engine/gearbox, etc ... may not survive with anything else.

For street use and other applications not nearly as extreme? I prefer a PAO/mineral/ester blend with a strong add-pack.

I am going to run the big 3 ester oils and run 2 track days on each of them and get an oil analyst for each right after the 2nd track day.

This way I should be able to tell what works the best for me.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace

For street use and other applications not nearly as extreme? I prefer a PAO/mineral/ester blend with a strong add-pack.

Which brand(s) would meet this criteria?

these days redline 20-50 motorcycle oil is $15 a qt, Amsoil is about $10 a qt delivered, redline "may" be better but not that much IMO

these days Amsoil is prolly NOT a PAO based oil with some Ester as in the past. prolly has some but predominately a group III highly refined CRUDE oil! notice the up to date amsoil web sites are NOT blowing the PAO horn + they will NOT answer questions pertaining to base oils + HIDE behind PRIORITY, i call [censored]!!!no more amsoil for me

Originally Posted By: benjy
these days Amsoil is prolly NOT a PAO based oil with some Ester as in the past. prolly has some but predominately a group III highly refined CRUDE oil! notice the up to date amsoil web sites are NOT blowing the PAO horn + they will NOT answer questions pertaining to base oils + HIDE behind PRIORITY, i call [censored]!!!no more amsoil for me

I understand your position.
However, I think it's more important the oil meets performance expectations/requirements and is fit for purpose.
As long as the true value for money part of the equation is not compromised and performance is improved.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by oilboy123
Amsoil has mentioned in the past they don't want to advertise for Redline by having it covered in their tests.

Never used Redline, but it should be good stuff.

I read that. What strikes me as funny is why they would mention other oils, but stay clear of RL. Are they afraid of RL oils?
27.gif

My thoughts exactly!

Wow that's quite a thread resurrection from 10 years ago! Great quotes from February 2nd of 2010.

Just having a little fun... I'm going to jump in with both feet too!

Agreed, there has to be a reason they won't compare Redline. Redline's differentiation is very high zinc, phosphorus and moly compared to any oil you can buy at a store that I'm aware of.

I like both to some extent but favour RL as I used about 10 gallons of their oils/CVT fluid and being a Honda nut and seeing Realtime Honda/ Acura using them has icing on the cake. I bought in large quantities and could do 90 days no interest or dealer fee.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
"So in a head to head test redline would outperform Amsoil?"

Maybe, mabe not.
They won't take the chance.
Even if they come out equal, Amsoil won't want that info out there either. They've built their fans up by claiming they are the 'best'. If another brand is equal, they no longer are the 'best'.

I would think they tested it, but choose not to include the results.

It makes no sense for the boutique brands to attack one another. Much smarter to compare to the API-certified majors, or just to insinuate that your product is better than theirs. If you can grab 0.1% of XOM's market vs. even 10% of Amsoil' or Red Line's, you gain vastly more business.

Back