Lithium instead of Lithium Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2006 Toyota Prado. The manual states that for the 4x uni joints to use Lithium (nlgi2) grease. For the 2x slip yokes to use Lithium Moly grease.

Having only 1 grease gun I used the Lithium grease for the slip yokes as well as the uni's.

Is there anything really really special about the moly in the grease to warrant a 2nd grease gun?

Cheers

Dan

Last edited:
Yes, Moly is an extreme pressure additive, i.e. something that is perfect for slip yokes, but is unsuitable for the rollers in a u-joint.

Likewise, lithium grease is fine for u-joints but may not have sufficient EP protection for the slip yokes.

Use the correct grease for application.

As long as your selected grease is EP rated I would expect it will work fine in your slip yoke- there are many ways to skin the EP cat besides moly. Of course, you may find it requires more frequent application.

Interestingly, Ford specifies a very high solids content PTFE compound for slip yokes. IMHO it feels like a mix between a carrier oil and ptfe powder. Seems to work well enough, but I am VERY tempted to try some moly paste on my truck (hoping for a longer service interval).

Moly is 'desired' in my LandCruiser for the slip, but regular is fine as long as it is applied every 3k miles. Your Prado is Toyota 4Runner essentially, a 150 series truck, so you could consult with 4R fanatics.
In addition, you could ask on ' I hate mud ' board.

IMO, it's not a real heavy duty off-road application, where moly is definitely 'required'. Not at all. In fact, Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special, which is recommended for slip joints, contains only 0.75% of moly. Too much of it on wrong parts and for wrong application may cause issues. I currently use Chevron Delo ESI grease for everything, used Delo EP before that. Both are great, and I go by availability at any given moment I buy grease.

In my farm and trucking equipment, we use heavy duty extreme pressure grease (mostly lithium or lithium complex) for both u-joints and the slip yokes. I've never used grease with any amount of moly and everything from steering components to brake components and u-joints/slip yokes last and last with regular maintenance.

I'm not saying a moly grease isn't appropriate for the slip yokes (it's great for sliding mechanisms like that) but an extreme pressure grease without moly should work fine, too. I grease my trucks every 3k-5k miles and some criticize me for overdoing it but it's a good way to keep track of everything and nothing ever wears out.
smile.gif

Hey Dan,

You can get good EP grease that does not contain moly.

Castrol Premium Heavy Duty is a Lithium Complex grease with EP and anti-wear adds, good thermal stability, but contains no Moly. It NLGI 2 and commonly available in Australia, it use to be called Castrol LMX grease or it replaces the LMX.

Castrol Premium Heavy Duty Grease

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey Dan,

Castrol Premium Heavy Duty is a Lithium Complex grease with EP and anti-wear adds, good thermal stability, but contains no Moly. It NLGI 2 and commonly available in Australia, it use to be called Castrol LMX grease or it replaces the LMX.

Thanks mate

I had asked this question not long ago for my 4Runner. There now exists non moly greases which exceed the performance of moly greases in various metrics such as Timken load, wear streak, and weld point tests. So as long as the non moly grease is high quality and dual rated NLGI GC-LB (chassis and bearing), I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be suitable.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey Dan,

Right now it's 40% off this Castrol grease at Repco (to 28 August)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back