235 85 16 XPS Traction Vs BFG ATKO2 VS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 05 GMC 2500 Crew 2wd Single Rear wheels and 6L LQ4 engine. I want to get back to some stock wheels and a 235 85 16 tire. Its just 2WD, does have a G80 locker and 4.10 gears, so it should get me where i want to go off road.

I'l looking at the BFG AT KO2 around $165 each and the Michelin XPS Traction at $265 each, $70 rebate on the set.

This truck will be at least 80% street and will someday be towing a car hauler + car or camper trailer. I plan to use this as a vacation weekender vehicle that needs to bring my family back home each time.

I know the old AT KO were pretty noisy and i would love a quiet tire. Since i stole this 2WD truck in a 4x4 market i can afford to buy the high end michelin if you guys think its the best way to go. I have 8 wheels so if you want to suggest a winter only summer only package i would be open that.

My T100 has cooper AT3 that i really like but they don't seem a lot cheaper than i can get a BFG for so i don't see the point.

That's a tough call. The Michelin XPS traction is an absolutely killer long haul commercial grade tire. They're also $400 more for the set, $330 after rebate. That's a huge difference in price. I really like commercial tires especially Michelin tires, but that's a stretch. Do I think the XPS would last longer, yes. Quieter, yes. Less prone to cupping and noise, yes. Worth the extra money? That's tough. I think the BFG would be better in the snow, Michelin would win the longevity battle hands down. If the price was the same I'd say Michelin hands down. The price factor makes it a toss up, with maybe a tiny edge to the Michelin just based on personal experience running the XPS rib on a 2wd truck steer axle and XPS traction on the rear. The truck they were on didn't move without a trailer hooked to it and the tires had 78,000 miles on them when we sold the truck, rear tires were about half tread still, fronts were better than 80%!

Wow, thank you for that post! I'm not super worried about the higher cost. What i am concerned about is if the XPS is obsolete by today's standards. The AT KO 2 is fully redesigned and people say they are quiet. Does the redesigned AT KO 2 come close enough to the XPS Traction? I'm thinking of it like Amsoil vs Mobil 1, yes techincally better, but you won't notice the difference in the long run.

Did you ever drive the XPS Rib in snow as your steers? I thought about a Rib up front and XPS in back but not sure if thats worth no rotating.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Wow, thank you for that post! I'm not super worried about the higher cost. What i am concerned about is if the XPS is obsolete by today's standards. The AT KO 2 is fully redesigned and people say they are quiet. Does the redesigned AT KO 2 come close enough to the XPS Traction? I'm thinking of it like Amsoil vs Mobil 1, yes techincally better, but you won't notice the difference in the long run.

Did you ever drive the XPS Rib in snow as your steers? I thought about a Rib up front and XPS in back but not sure if thats worth no rotating.

The truck we had with the XPS RIB/TRACTION combination on it was used in the summer and winter alike however it did have a very heavy big block sitting over the steer axle. Traction in the steer tires wasn't an issue, however they were siped in the center tread blocks. I will give you that the XPS is an older tire. I don't know as I'd go so far as to say obsolete. However it does give up some advantages to newer or more aggressive tires. For a truck that routinely towed in excess of 12k it suited me well, tough and stable sidewalls tread that wore like iron, plenty of traction to do what we needed to include gravel and 2 track roads. That being said, as a daily driver that won't tow as much or have as much weight over the axle as I did a more modern tire with more factory siping has numerous advantages. If I wanted one tire to do it all in 4 seasons I don't know if I'd buy them again based on what else is currently available. The BFG AT is hands down better off the pavement and in the snow compared to the XPS, however a BFG Commercial AT would likely be quieter and offer better on road traction as well as killer snow traction, probably the best of any tires mentioned. The Bridgestone Duravis 700HD is also a serious contender as is the Firestone Transforce AT for commercial grade tires that are more modern than the XPS. If you're leaning towards a HD tire with excellent traction I'd buy the BFG Commercial Traction, if wear and long life is the primary concern with traction as a close second the Duravis 700HD and Firestone TransForce AT in that order. If tire life above all else at a slight disadvantage to traction on ice and hard pack snow then the XPS still wins hands down. I have no doubt that even with all the towing I did and the torque of a big block and 4.10 gears we would've has the XPS traction tires in service for 4 season use out past 100k and for 3 season use probably to 120k. The truck we had them installed on was a 1974 D200 with a rebuilt and very healthy 440 Big Block Chrysler with a 727 transmission and a gear vendors overdrive. It was used to haul a 5th wheel, horse trailer, boat, and firewood.

I think i'm going to rule out the XPS due to tire weight, cost, and my estimated 6,000 a year of driving will leave it rotting before wearing out. I'm getting some OEM forged wheels powder coated and thats going to eat up the XPS tire budget.

1. BFG AT KO2 - Huge value for the money, love the look
2. BFG Commercial Traction - Only a few bucks more than ATKO2, studdable if i wanted to get 2 more for snow.
3. Duravis 700HD - seems like a lot more money over the first two
4. Hankook Dynapro AT-M discount tire guy recommended, $140 each, saves about $100, not sure if i care about that amount of savings
5. LTX MS 2 - $191 ($70 rebate) if the rebate comes through i end up close enough in cost. My doubt here is if it will hold up to mild off roading.

Thanks again for the great info!

Originally Posted By: dareo
I think i'm going to rule out the XPS due to tire weight, cost, and my estimated 6,000 a year of driving will leave it rotting before wearing out. I'm getting some OEM forged wheels powder coated and thats going to eat up the XPS tire budget.

1. BFG AT KO2 - Huge value for the money, love the look
2. BFG Commercial Traction - Only a few bucks more than ATKO2, studdable if i wanted to get 2 more for snow.
3. Duravis 700HD - seems like a lot more money over the first two
4. Hankook Dynapro AT-M discount tire guy recommended, $140 each, saves about $100, not sure if i care about that amount of savings
5. LTX MS 2 - $191 ($70 rebate) if the rebate comes through i end up close enough in cost. My doubt here is if it will hold up to mild off roading.

Thanks again for the great info!

My thoughts
1: A great tire that has served many people well for a lot of years. Very capable off road for an AT tire. Seems like you like the look as much as anything. Wear is about the same as the Commercial Traction, probably better off road in mud and clay than any others listed but still a virtual tie with the commercial Traction.
2: Already been argued, but still a great tire and out of this group for your truck would probably be my #1 choice with the BFG AT #2.
3: great tire less ultimate traction than #1&2. Would likely dry rot before wearing out. Less capable off road than 1&2. Would be a great compromise if you drove more.
4: For your use I wouldn't even consider it, in my experience they harden up very quickly and loose a great deal of low temp snow and ice traction, other than the price they have no real benefit over anything on this list, only down sides. Less traction in all situations than 1-3, better than 5 off road, but worse than 5 in the snow and ice.
5: This is a fantastic tire on snow and ice and down the road, by far the least aggressive tire in the group with off road performance to match. If your off road consists of gravel roads and 2 tracks no worries, if off road consists of muddy ruts and clay steer far clear of this one and stick with 1 or 2. These also wear like iron and would likely dry rot to pieces well before reaching 50%.

My personal suggestion would be 2,1,3,5 in that order if the caveat for 5 suited your driving style, if not then strike it from the list too. Let us know what you get and how you like it!

My gut is telling me to just get the AT KO2, i think i would chunk the Commercial Traction tire too much. I'm will build up the engine or swap in an LS3. I think the tall skinny tread blocks on the Commercial Traction would not like the street abuse it might see. I have about a week till my wheels are done to decide.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either one. I've had the Commercial Traction before but no issues with chunking, more issues with heel toe tread wear (torque feathering) but either one will likely suit you very well. If your gut is telling you to go for the ko2 I say go for it.

What about cooper Discoverer AT/3 if you wait a few weeks for the labor day sale at DTD you could save hundreds. Its also by far Cooper's best tire and well liked.

I've been pretty happy with the Cooper AT/3 on my T100 in a P size but i only got them as cheap take off set. The AT/3 is not significantly cheaper than the BFG or LTX right now. If i'm buy new i like to go higher end.

I run the BFG's on my half ton Ram. Fantastic tire in all conditions (we have a similar climate) and super quiet. I have zero complaints on this set of tires. I highly recommend them to you!

I have enabled Tall Skinny mode on my new to me truck. I did the BFG AT K02. Two stage powder coated OE wheels and Discount Tire Labor Day sale 235 85 16 KO2s are the new shoes. Only drove it a few miles but they seem really quiet and the steering feel is way better than the porky 285 75 16 tires it had. Lost at least 20lbs a corner too.

The AT's look good.

For others, I'll give another recommendation for the BFG Commercial Traction AT. I run them on my diesel Rover 90 (Defender before they called them a Defender), replacing the nearly new BFG KM's that came on the truck from France. The AT's are a great all around tire, excellent off road, though I have not run them in much mud, and, unlike the KM's, relatively painless on road. KM's are good, but could get exciting on road in heavy rain.

In the future, when it's time to replace the BFG's, you might want to check out the General Grabber AT2. It's essentially the same tread pattern for a lot less money.

I did consider the Grabber AT2 but it wasn't that much cheaper and i wanted the real deal. They have been driving excellent on road, haven't gotten them dirty yet. They can hold the 6.0's full power. Its a very quiet all terrain. I really have to strain to hear tire noise on the freeway. BFGs on my wagon, Geforce Sports, make insane amounts of noise.

I really wanted to try out the KO2 after having had the original tire and i think its an all around improvement. Time will tell how long they last and hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back