Are lubricity additives needed on new diesels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I read the diesel fuel lubricity articles about how sometimes you can get a dry load of fuel from the supplier that may not have had the correct amount of lubricity added to it. Anyways since my truck had about 9,000 miles on it I've run stanadyne lubricity formula to avoid the possibility of an injector getting stuck open from a dry load of fuel. Lately I've been having trouble finding this stuff and I always have to order it. I guess the 6.7 has a different injection pump and fuel injectors compared to the previous model that is designed for ULSD, so have I been wasting money all this time? It only cost me about a dollar per tank, so I figured it was cheap insurance when each fuel injector is $500.00. My question is do the engineers bank on the fuel having the correct lubricity or is it not a problem even if I get a load of fuel that lack lubricity?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running diesel kleen right now and it seems to run smoother with it just listening to the exhaust, must be the extra cetane. Either that or it's all in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for anything other than a LML duramax, in my case I have been using stanadyne and mostly diesel clean off and on for 90,000 miles and have never noticed any difference. Our local duramax injector guru has told me a few times that with todays modern day injectors not to waste my money on diesel additives except maybe for an anti gel in the winter if required. A fuel filter replacement every 3rd or 4th oil change is much more important.

I alternate between the performance formula and the lubricity formula of Stanadyne on my Powerstroke. Ford supposedly has the low lubricity pump from Bosch in the Powerstroke, but I want extra protection and Stanadyne helps with water in the fuel, which Fords do not handle well at all. As you said it is cheap insurance and I think it is money well spent.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Lately I've been having trouble finding this stuff and I always have to order it.
Have you tried Advance Auto Parts and Autozone? I buy mine there in the Houston area.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Lately I've been having trouble finding this stuff and I always have to order it.
Have you tried Advance Auto Parts and Autozone? I buy mine there in the Houston area.

They quit carrying the lubricity formula at autozone. I used to buy it from a fuel injector company off of Navigation blvd. I forgot what the name was. This last time I went to Oreillys and they ordered me some. The guy just needed the part #

If you keep on top of FFCIs then it probably won't make any difference, but 2 stoke at 200:1 can't hurt anything and a placebo always helps
wink.gif
. That's why I keep a concoction of acetone, redline si1, tcw3, toluene and 100LL in a 5 gallon jerry can in the garage - the placebo effect of additives at homeopathic doses..
(my mix is for petrol, not diesel. If I daily'd a diesel I'd use a 1:1 mix of TCW3 and 2ehn at 200:1 in the fuel.)

Your question is good and valid.

Unfortunately, you probably knows that we are not the engineer that design the engine so I am not sure if we can answer your question with validity.

Unless, somebody that is really the engineer that design the engine saw and answered this question.

All we can do is speculate or give you opinions.

Cheap TCW-3 2 stroke oil is all you need for lubricity. 1oz per gallon of fuel. Many diesel owners (Especially Cummins) have been doing this for years with great success, and even a increase in MPG's.

I began doing it in my 05 PSD a few months ago and although no major noticeable effects, it does make that rattle trap quieter!

My question is do the engineers bank on the fuel having the correct lubricity or is it not a problem even if I get a load of fuel that lack lubricity?

The testing that each component goes through is unique to the requirements of the OEM. The testing required and pass/fail criteria are set based on historical information and/or what that OEM deems important. If you fill up with the fuel recommended in your owner's manual then it is in the OEMs best interest to design the component to account for any variation that you may see. At the end of the day if you have a fuel injector fail you won't be talking about how bad a fuel station is but instead about how the Cummins injector failed.

They quit carrying the lubricity formula at autozone. I used to buy it from a fuel injector company off of Navigation blvd. I forgot what the name was. This last time I went to Oreillys and they ordered me some. The guy just needed the part #
AAP has it; I used the zipcode from a random business on Navigation Blvd:

I walked in AutoZone around two years ago and was happy to see they had started carrying the lubricity formula. Nobody around our area seemed to carry it when I checked. They stopped carrying it, you say? That's too bad.

Have you tried checking small diesel performance shops? Do you have any in your area? We have a Dave's Diesel, and they sell Stanadyne additives. He had the Performance formula, and he ordered the lubricity formula at my request because nobody in our area was carrying it. Then, after that, AutoZone started carrying it, and Tractor Supply Company as well.

Have you checked farm stores? Our Rural King is selling the Performance formula, both the 16 oz. and 64 oz. bottles.

We are buying the 64 oz. bottles. When we live on a farm, and have diesel tractors with 50 gallon fuel tanks, the big bottles are nice for that.

Originally Posted By: njohnson

I walked in AutoZone around two years ago and was happy to see they had started carrying the lubricity formula. Nobody around our area seemed to carry it when I checked. They stopped carrying it, you say? That's too bad.

Have you tried checking small diesel performance shops? Do you have any in your area? We have a Dave's Diesel, and they sell Stanadyne additives. He had the Performance formula, and he ordered the lubricity formula at my request because nobody in our area was carrying it. Then, after that, AutoZone started carrying it, and Tractor Supply Company as well.

Have you checked farm stores? Our Rural King is selling the Performance formula, both the 16 oz. and 64 oz. bottles.

We are buying the 64 oz. bottles. When we live on a farm, and have diesel tractors with 50 gallon fuel tanks, the big bottles are nice for that.

Yeah they carried it for a couple years then I guess they stopped.

The best lubricity additive is Bio diesel, it's real cheap and a series of test showed it worked as well as the best fuel additives.

Agreed. Almost all diesel at the pump nowadays is spiked with a little biodiesel. Pumps are not required to label until level is 5% or greater. A simple 2% bio blend will add more lubricity to diesel than anything off the shelf, and a little cetane as well. Pump price unaffected. Basically something extra for the same price. Ask you diesel retailer if bio is being added to the fuel at the terminal, or catch the tanker driver when he is dropping fuel.

If you get diesel laced with Bio, (and most are), your lubricity needs are met. The real benefit of a diesel fuel add comes from a boost in cetane, and water control, either through demulsification, and draining your water separator, or emulsification, where the droplets are encapsulated, and go right on through to combustion. With water under control, you control microbes and slime as a side benefit.
All that said, Schaeffer Soy Shield, Redline 85 Plus, and FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power are the 3 on my short list as worthy of consideration. Schaeffer is my go to, as it's an all weather formula, with anti-gel.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Agreed. Almost all diesel at the pump nowadays is spiked with a little biodiesel. Pumps are not required to label until level is 5% or greater. A simple 2% bio blend will add more lubricity to diesel than anything off the shelf, and a little cetane as well. Pump price unaffected. Basically something extra for the same price. Ask you diesel retailer if bio is being added to the fuel at the terminal, or catch the tanker driver when he is dropping fuel.

How would the truck driver know? I guess he gets an msds sheet everytime he leaves the terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back