New 2015 Petronas Synthium with CoolTech - POE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look please at the new (2015) generation of oils from Petronas (Synthium with CoolTech).

The producer claims
"better resistance to cam wear by more than 70%"
"better oxidation resistance in excess of 60% "
"better protection against piston deposit build-up by more than 30%"
...comparing to ILSAC GF-5.

link
link

Looking at the 2015 Petronas/Selenia MSDS':
petronas oils
Selenia oils

(don't bother with the TDS's, they are not updated yet)

... I see plenty of "Not dangerous oils", varying from 10-15% in 0w40, 30-40% or 50-70% in 5w40 and 10w40, up to 70-90% in 10w60 Racing.

Esters? At those prices (see below)?

They're starting to hit the market in the EU (watch out for the new "CoolTech" logo on the bottles), very affordable prices

BTW, some Petronas related articles:
2010 Optimization of Polyol Ester Production...

Polyol ester palm oil

plolyol ester from palm oil

They also have motorcycle, jet-engine and refrigerator oils with POE, check out their site.

I wonder... Did those guys found a way to produce POE cheaper (like Shell did with GTL)?

Last edited:
Some Petronas oils do contain PAO, I'm using Urania FE-LS 5w30 that have good amount of it. Not sure about Esters, can we even see that from the MSDS?

I was just wondering...

Look at this one (unrelated):
msds POE

"Non-hazardous mixture of synthetic polyol ester"

Vegetable Feedstock Oils

Nothing new, but if you have a lot of Elaeis guineensis plants, why not make esters?

BTW,

Palm kernel oil is an edible plant oil derived from the kernel of the oil palm Elaeis guineensis. It should not be confused with the other two edible oils derived from palm fruits: palm oil, extracted from the pulp of the oil palm fruit, and coconut oil, extracted from the kernel of the coconut.

OK, just looked at a various Selenia products; older 20k, new ABARTH 5W40, and WR P.E. ALL of them contain same amount of this ' non dangerous oils' (50-70%), and various amount of other oils and additives (Zink ).

To be honest I don't know what to think from that.

Originally Posted By: zveroboy

They also have motorcycle, jet-engine and refrigerator oils with POE

Where to do see Petronas jet engine and refrigeration oils?

Tom NJ

The way it was explained to me was that Malaysia produces some extremely high quality crude oils (eg Tapis). These yielded high quality vacuum gasoils which when hydrocracked, produced some exceptionally high quality Group III base oils.

Petronas, in an effort to shift these base oils, partnered with Infineum (the additive company) to create a range of fully formulated, globally marketable finished oils.

What you think of this latest generation of Petronas engine oils very much depends on what you think of Infineum's DI/VII technology. Speaking personally, I don't much care for it.

Just ordered Selenia Sport 5w40. 50-70% "not dangerous oils" . 50euros/5L

TomNJ, if you don't mind, could you be so kind to express your opinion on this subject, please?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I say bring back castor bean oils...wait... Castor beans are poisonous aren't they?

There is ricin made during the extraction of the oil, but castor oil is non toxic. All us old flat track racers would have died long ago when EVERYONE at the 1/4 mile flat track used castor oil!

Just ordered Selenia Sport 5w40. 50-70% "not dangerous oils" . 50euros/5L

Well, I poured this stuff in the engine today, it sounds quite thumpy (Viscosity at 100 C - 15,2)

I was very surprised by the.... smell! Very intense, sharp, pungent smell, difficult to characterise (something between camphor and "hot brake pad" kind of smell).

Other oils I used had a mild odor. This one is still in my nose.

Last edited:
In which engine did you use the oil, the Alfa I guess?
It is on the thick side, usually that makes engines less noisy...

As for the smell, weird. Petronas 5W40 and 0W40 (and I did an OC for a friend 2 hours ago with Syntium 7000 0W40) don't smell very strong, normal oily smell!

Originally Posted By: Popsy
In which engine did you use the oil, the Alfa I guess?

No; Alfa is under warranty... so I use it in the Fiat's 1.1 (at least, it sees a lot of RPM, to make up for it's lack of HP, so it's not a totally absurd "choice")
Just another paradox of our times.

These 1,1L engines are relics of another era, they could run on anything with Selenia label on it (Selenia 20K, Selenia Gold)
smile.gif

Just kidding, I remember having fun with a Fiat Cinquecento and this 1,1L fire engine. Should be good on any xxW40 oil...does it sound better now ?

It sounds just a little bit better (smooth and muffled) , especially at cold and when accelerating (vs SHU GTL). However, it's too early to conclude.

Yes, it's an old (late '90s, I think) revvy engine, the manual states 10w40 API SL, so there are plenty of Xw-40 options
smile.gif

Last edited:
It sounds just a little bit better (smooth and muffled) , especially at cold and when accelerating (vs SHU GTL). However, it's too early to conclude.

Yes, it's an old (late '90s, I think) revvy engine, the manual states 10w40 API SL, so there are plenty of Xw-40 options
smile.gif

IIRC mk3 Panda were specified with 10w40 A3/ FIAT G2 spec prior to mid 09. Afterwards with C3 5w40/FIAT S3. If car is driven gently you may consider using 5w30 A3 oil too. Maybe it will release some power, and this engines are strong, they are not picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back