Brake job gone wrong today - cant find kia parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was time to replace the rear rotors and pads on the MIL 2007 Kia Spectra. The rotors are original with 130k on them, very rust and pads were shot but everything still worked well. After doing my usual inspection, i notice the guide pin boots were leaking, and the one pin was shot and I couldn't put it back together because the threads were all messed up, im assuming from a previous brake pad job (not done by me). This is the part I needed:

So I head off to Autozone because they are the closest. Look the parts up, part looks right but the pin is slightly machined on two sides.
It looked like this, kit#1:

It looked similar and the guy said it would fit it was just a little different. Dumb me believed him and I made an even worse mistake of not taking the bracket with me. Needless to say, it didn't work so I had to take it back.

They tried to give me this kit #2:

Not even close to the right parts.

Then comes back and tries this kit #3:

Still not the right parts and then they say they dont have anything that will work. so I head to oreillys, all they had was kit #2. I head to NAPA, all they have is kit #2. I head to AAP/Carquest and all they have is kit #2. Needless to say no one had the right parts I'm needing. Im going to have to head to KIA tomorrow and try to track this pin down.

An hour job turned into a 4 hour adventure and I'm only 25% done, the MIL has to take the Taurus home until I can get the right parts. Now I'm skeptical to even buy any "correct" parts online due to all the aftermarket kits so far being wrong. So if anyone has had this issue and can point me in the right direction, please do!

Stinks. Hopefully the dealer can help you out. Wonder why they used such an oddball part.

Look at the front caliper guide pins on Rock Auto offered by ACDELCO. Yes, the front. Are those what you need? Someone goofed up.

Sometimes a car maker will make a change in the middle of production and not say anything about it. That is why some dealers need to type the VIN into their computer before they can find the correct parts.

Can you run a tap into the area and chase the threads? Those bolts usually don't require a lot of torque.

Yeah like chris said some hardware kits are getting scarce.. unfortunately my first thought is to buy a pair of fully loaded capipers. Yeah I know not the cheapest but you will have what you need. Well semi loaded should do it since you have the pads already.

I have been having a hard time finding a drum brake hardware kit that works correctly on my Jeep. Kept buying them online and they wouldn't work. Turns out a lot of companies make them incorrectly.

UPDATE:

After doing a lot of research last night it seems im not the only one who has had this problem. I went to KIA and they wanted almost $50 for 2 pins and bolts.
crazy2.gif
eek.gif
Long story short, the correct part is actually a spec'd part for the Sedona at autozone, not sure about anywhere else. Looked it up online, Autozone had a kit in stock and took the parts with me and low and behold that kit actually worked. Strange things these days.........
crazy.gif

The brake pins that you got the first time..the ones that were machined flats on the sides..did they fit in the bracket, other than the flats? I ask as those flats are to retain grease..the pins do not need to be completely round.

Originally Posted By: volk06
UPDATE:... I went to KIA and they wanted almost $50 for 2 pins and bolts.
crazy2.gif
eek.gif

That's whacked. Another anecdote why they don't call them stealerships for nothing.

I was going to suggest you check out the Rock Auto listings for the pin kit. Some pretty good pics of the parts kits there. Thought maybe you'd at least be able to match one that looked right and at least get parts numbers for the correct kit.

Anyway, glad you able to solve your issue and find the right kit and at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the follow up.

I love when people come into the parts department, not picking on the OP just a general observation, and say "$75!!?? The one at Autozone/Oreillys is only $30 but it didn't fit." I just look at them and say "well for $75 it will fit." Guess I am jaded.

Yeah I bet you love guys who walk into the dealership and get quotes on parts, then go buy them at Autozone.

I'm not going to waste anyones time.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I love when people come into the parts department, not picking on the OP just a general observation, and say "$75!!?? The one at Autozone/Oreillys is only $30 but it didn't fit." I just look at them and say "well for $75 it will fit." Guess I am jaded.

I was ready and willing to pay $25 but $50 for those little parts is rediculous imo. However, the ford dealer near me always has competitive prices vs the others. The right kit did end up fitting from AZ and was only $12 after tax.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
The brake pins that you got the first time..the ones that were machined flats on the sides..did they fit in the bracket, other than the flats? I ask as those flats are to retain grease..the pins do not need to be completely round.

No they were to big of a diameter.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have been having a hard time finding a drum brake hardware kit that works correctly on my Jeep. Kept buying them online and they wouldn't work. Turns out a lot of companies make them incorrectly.

A lot of companies don't make them wrong, the one Chinese company that numerous other "companies" (now just brand licenses) label as their own makes it wrong.

I have always wondered why dealerships put such a high markup on their parts. A set of OEM ACDelco rear brake shoes (not Durastop) is 235 at the dealership, 195 at the local ACDelco parts jobber. It's not like the jobber isn't making a profit. It is just the dealer wants soooo much more. It seems like they could make more on volume if they lowered the prices a little and more people came in. I would go to the dealer exclusively for parts if they were a little more reasonable. Guaranteed OE quality and fit.

In the future if you have Kia parts questions, feel free to send me a PM with the last 8 digits of the VIN. I am not a Kia expert, but I have access to their catalogs, dealer website, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back