Cleaning seats/carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
What do you guys do for cleaning up seats and carpet? This is for my grandpa's 1996 Jeep Cherokee. He's always spilling coffee in it. I got 2 seats out of a Grand Cherokee that are a bluish grayish blackish (if that makes sense). They're much more comfortable than Cherokee seats, just got to swap the bases.

Need to clean up these seats though. I thought about using my electric pressure washer then letting them sit in the 105-110 degree sun. Also would like to clean up the carpet. It doesn't need to be perfect, this is just a grocery getter and desert vehicle. Just looking for improvement.

Thanks!

I can tell you from experience with flood vehicles that the sun won't really dry the seats out like you would expect
21.gif

I have a hoover thing that was 89 dollars at lowes. Washes my carpets in the house and has an upholstery attachment that works ok for the cars.

You can call up Stanley Steemer and they will clean the seats and carpet. Just make sure it's vacuumed out real well before they arrive. I used to work there a long time ago. Kind of expensive but they come to the house.
thumbsup2.gif

Or you can rent a Rug Doctor from Home Depot and get the upholstery attachment. I think the rental is about $20 plus the cost of cleaner.

A great spot remover available at Walmart is Blue Magic Spot Remover for around $4.

The best method is probably a good detailer that has a Hot Water Extractor. Prob around $100 or so. Just drop the Jeep off and let them do their magic.

Doing something is better than nothing.

I use the Lowes brand of spot cleaning shampoo in a spray bottle. Don't use a brush, just blot with a wet rag and the shampoo. It's cheap, works good and smells nice afterward.

you can take out the seats and rent a rug doctor. The smaller machines do a decent job but the bigger units with heat is the best thing going if you want to make a significant difference. You can use the stuff that rug doctor sells but I have always had great luck with either Folex for the tough stuff and I have used Woolite for my general cleaner. Considering the heat of where you live it shouldn't take long to dry but it's best practice to never soak anything. Try to suck as much water out as you can to avoid mold etc.

I used to have a scent in the car I spent 2 years trying to get rid of. I only made it better as time went. It didn't disappear until I removed the cloth seat covers and tossed it into the washing machine on gentle. I assume you have cloth seats. Prior to removing the seat covers, I just used Woolite (suggested amount mixed with water) and soaked a microfiber cloth with it. My cloth seats were mostly black and I was surprised at how well it was working. However, like mentioned, I didn't get rid of the scent until I washed the seat cover in the washer.

If you have leather/pleather/vinyl, they're IME far easier to clean. Microfiber with Dawn followed by a conditioner on real leather. I also recently just tried the Mother's LeatherTech cleaner with a paint brush and was amazed. Makes cleaning far easier. I honestly can't tell though if it's just the fact that I used a paint brush to agitate the cleaner which got it's surfactants where it needs to be to loosen the dirt as opposed to just swiping away with a microfiber or both, but I was impressed.

Last edited:
I used to love the Woolite foam carpet cleaner from the 80s. Had that great classic mild Woolite smell,was really gentle,and worked great. I don't even know if they make it anymore.

Last edited:
303 Multi-surface cleaner is far and away the best cloth upholstery cleaner that I have found.

Just follow the simple directions on the back.

Pro detailer here. If you can get your hands on an extractor of any type- that will help. In the absence of that, use Folex (get it at Home Depot- it's a large white bottle), spray liberally (not soaking) and scrub with a damp microfiber towel until the stains lift and it looks clean.

With an extractor device, spray Folex and scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Dampen with hot water and extract.

Enjoy your clean interior fabrics. :)

I've had the most luck with a little bit of laundry detergent and warm water in a bucket with a scrub brush. Vacuum it out with a shop vac.

Blue Magic carpet cleaner is the best stuff I've used by far to get rid of stains. It's back in the automotive department at Wal-Mart but you should be able to find it at Autozone just about any autopart store.

I also use a Bissel carpet cleaner I got at Ollie's closeouts for $69.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back