Mens Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like watches and have several, but they are all inexpensive. My pet peave is why are all these watches you see now as big as the clock on my wall? They are just plain ugly that big.I remember many years ago my dad telling me thinner watches were more expensive because it`s harder to make a thin watch than a fat watch. Not only are the watches too fat but they are too huge a diameter also. So what`s your thought on watches? Do you have good taste in watches like me :) or do you like these huge fat wall clocks on your wrist ?

My daily wear watch is a Rolex DateJust 16013(two tone stainless/yellow gold jubilee bracelet, champagne dial). Mine is from the early 1980s, but honestly the DateJust hasn't changed that much.

At 36mm, it's quite a bit on the small side for a man's watch these days. Even so, I find it the perfect size. It's large enough to be easily legible, but is small enough that it's comfortable and also slides under a shirt cuff easily. This honestly is a great compromise watch-it doesn't look out of place in daily wear, but also is just dressy enough to wear with a sport coat and tie without it being out of place. Heck, given how small it is compared to most watches, it's completely appropriate with a suit also. About the only things I don't wear it for are working on my car-mostly because I don't want to spend a couple of hours polishing out scratches on the crystal-and when handling solvents at work because I know that acetone laughs at acrylic
smile.gif

I'm a watch nut(my name on here is in tribute to one my favorite watch manufacturers) and also a watch maker by hobby but don't have that many wristwatches. The Rolex is the only one I ever really wear.

I am into watches, and I don't like the massive ones either, I find them uncomfortable, and they don't fit under your sleeves properly - have a couple of Citizen Eco-Drives (which I love), an older Citizen Quartz, a Pulsar Chronograph and a Casio Solar (the work watch). All up I've only spent a couple of grand. As much as I'd love to, at this point in time (no pun intended!) I just can't justify spending thousands on one watch. Maybe one day when the kids have grown up...

Reasonable size and classic style is best. Otherwise, an ironman type digital works.

Rolex submariner/Omega Seamaster is as large as is advisable.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I like watches and have several, but they are all inexpensive. My pet peave is why are all these watches you see now as big as the clock on my wall? They are just plain ugly that big.I remember many years ago my dad telling me thinner watches were more expensive because it`s harder to make a thin watch than a fat watch. Not only are the watches too fat but they are too huge a diameter also. So what`s your thought on watches? Do you have good taste in watches like me :) or do you like these huge fat wall clocks on your wrist ?

Your Dad was sort of right(all things being equal) but cost of production/market value is determined by a great, great many factors.
Watch sizes are determined by fashion and function.
The early Wrist watches were a bit on the big size because they were originally Pocket watches with a couple of lugs attached for a strap.
With the coming of WWI the first Wrist watches intended for service were also known as Trench watches and were smaller sizes. It was the popularity and convenience of these watches which sees us wearing them to this day.
By WWII they were main stream and they had also started to get a little bigger.
The German pilots used to have a massive watch made by IWC which was strapped around their thigh and used for navigation. There is currently a variation of Wrist watch which currently available by IWC which pays homage to the original and it's very large indeed.

There are long standing watch manufacturers which are renowned for larger watches. Panerai comes to mind and they have a long and distinguished history in this regard with their designs having been born out of necessity.

Other watch manufacturers endeavour to make their watches a small as practicable in general but fashion trends have made them move to larger variants of what were originally smaller watches. Rolex comes to mind with the Submariners, Sea-Dwellers and Explorers gaining in size. The notable exception is the Deep Sea Sea-Dweller which is large in some respects due to design parameters but still quite wearable in comparison to some of the most modern Wrist watches which are just simply made to ridiculous proportions for the sake of current fashion trends.
Rolex make movements which are regarded as tanks throughout the industry with a very long development cycle. They are currently the size they need to be in terms of thickness.
However there are a new generation of movements coming into the top of their range which are notably thinner with some great technological innovations, and they carry a price premium largely due to the price point of the models they are initially fitted to.
These thinner movements will eventually filter down to the cheaper models in time, but there's a price premium to be paid for entry into the Rolex club anyway.
These new Rolex movements are probably the very embodiment of your Dad's philosophy.

At the end of the day a modern era Wrist watch(post 80's), is somewhat of a fashion accessory.
Especially since the period when the mechanical movement has survived and thrived since the "Quartz revolution".

I recommend checking out some watch forums to familiarize yourself with the state of play in the watch world.
It's easier to make an informed decision one way or another after gaining more knowledge on the matter.

Enjoy.

I needed an upgrade from my trusty old Timex Ironman, but I found the same thing. They're all way too big and heavy. I ended up getting this Tissot, which isn't too big and it's made of aluminum and titanium so it's light too.

P18625650.jpg

Originally Posted By: Trav
44 mm max for me.

Agreed.

One still needs to have the wrist shape and size to be able to pull it off at 44mm.
Having said that, I think the OP is mostly referring to the thickness of Wrist watches and not so much diameter.

It's certainly the subject of a great many threads on the matter on the different watch forums.

Wearing a giant "expensive" watch or other types of gaudy bling so popular these days is almost always a sign that someone has a giant sized needy ego that desperately needs to impress others and be noticed.

I am always impressed by folks that ostentatiously wear expensive gaudy jewelry, impressed by their lack of good taste and neurotic neediness to be noticed.

Folks that have real wealth and beautiful things are usually very subtle about it and most people only notice the quality of what someone with good taste is wearing if they look very carefully and can recognize quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I needed an upgrade from my trusty old Timex Ironman, but I found the same thing. They're all way too big and heavy. I ended up getting this Tissot, which isn't too big and it's made of aluminum and titanium so it's light too.

P18625650.jpg

Love the look of that one....

All I have is just a Citizen and a cheapo Timex watch. I used to have a perfect size and style (silver watch/leather band) watch from the Structure (of all places). Have not been able to find that one since...

Last edited:
I quit wearing watches, well actually jewelry altogether, many decades ago. When my dad retired he gave me the Omega his company gave him - said it was too heavy for his wrist. It's laying around here somewhere, along with all the other junk I used to wear. My smart phone gives all the info I could possibly need so that's it for me....

0000%20a%20956%20040.jpg

Mine. I like it simple. Ideally I would likea black museum Movado. But I can't afford such a watch.

My guess is that the big watches are for the idiot kids that ruin their vision with phones and video games.

I like an appropriate watch in style & size for the correct attire. I do like a larger watch than what my dad was wearing and mostly wear between 44mm & 46mm. Sometimes I like to wear my 48mm watch but, this is my limit.

I like small, flat simple titanium watches as they weight close to nothing, but what ticks me off is that a new bracelet costs more than half the money you spent on the watch.

The same Timex Marlin that I've had since 1958. It goes in and gets cleaned once every decade or so, and the crystal as been replaced two or three times. Other than the crystal, it's all original including the band.

It gets wound up every morning, keeps perfect time, doesn't scream "hey look at me" like a rolex, and I don't need to look at my phone just to tell the time.

Buy a woman's watch. Depending on the model they are almost identical to a man's except smaller. Or buy a used one on ebay ftw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back